Kayak Fishing Tube and Worm DIY
For those that don’t already know, the Tube and Worm is the most effective Kayak Fishing lures for Striped Bass in the NorthEast. Trolling is a highly effective method for Kayak Fishing and the Tube and Worm is specifically designed for trolling.
Basically, you can’t catch a fish unless your line is in the water and more water you cover paddling the better.
And how do you do that? Trolling
What do Big Striped Bass love to eat? Eels
How do you attract fish? Live Bait, Tip the hook with a sand worm.
And what lure can do all that??? You gotta know by now…
“TUBE AND WORM”
Not all Tube and Worm lures are equal, and here are the must-have features.
Being able to replace the hooks. Would you buy a car you could change the tires on?
Through-wire that will hold a shape. This is where the Tube and Worm gets its action, by putting a half spiral bend into the Tube body it spirals in the water. From any perspective, this looks like the wave-like swimming profile of and eel or sea worm
Blue Fish Ready. Striped Bass aren’t the only fish in the Sea. I’ve even caught fluke on a Tube and Worm. A toothy yellow-eyed Blue Fish is going to go right for the body, you will feel the bump but will miss the tail hook. The Tube need to be thick and chewy.
So if you want it done right, you might as well DIY.
So lets build some Tube and Worm lures.
Tube and Worm Material List
- Tubing – 1/2″ OD or 3/8 ID is perfect. You should be able to find your basic black tubing at any home improvement center. But a Quick Amazon Search under UV Tubing will get you some cool UV colors.
- Large Rosco Barrel Swivel
- BIG GAME – 2/0 or 4/0 350lb
- Tactical Angler Clips the big one’s 175lb <- I can’t live without these things.
Tube and Worm DIY
- Rig up your wire 14 ” – 16 “. Swivel at one end, Tactical Angler Clip on the Other. 2 Vise Grips works well here.
- Cut You Tubing to length
- Lace Wire in Tube
- Wrap the Head in the pinch of the barrel swivel. A Hog Ring would work great here. I just use the Lure Wire.
- Cut a little breather Hole at the top, so the tube will flood and sink.
- Clip on a Hook.
How to Fish the Tube and Worm.
This Kayak fishing lure is going to get some action. I like to fish mine with Monofilament line, trolling is no place for braided fishing line. When the fish hits your going to need the line stretch or your going to get a lot of break-offs. Ball Bearing Swivels, Trolling Rudder or Weighted Keel is a must. The Tube and Worm is designed to spin. Unless you use Ball Bearing Swivels and a keel, you are going get line twist. Using a Weight keel is also nice, you can change the weights out to get down low. I’m working on DIY keel weight now and will link to this article once its completed.
Low and Slow, that is where you want to be.
Once you feel it start tapping the bottom, give the fishing reel a crank to bring the lure just off the bottom, and you should be right in the zone. Good Luck with your custom Tube and Worm
If this is all too much to handle, you can always buy one.