Newbie... need help for PFTS #3

jbdba01
Mr. Fishing Reports
Mr. Fishing Reports

Newbie... need help for PFTS #3

Post by jbdba01 »

OK guys. I'm in the tourney. That's step 1.

So...I've been debating the "ethics" of this thread, but then figured wth...

I've fished all of 2-3 times on the kayak now. Fished plenty via stinkpottin' That said I've never fished the area of the tourney - least not for what we are targeting...so I'm hoping for a mercy rule on this post it and don't get flamed. I'm sure someone will read this and go - "Really - you want to know my spots." No not really, frankly all I want to do is not embarrass myself and not get skunked. [Think GA vs UCF]

I've barely a clue what to fish (more than likely platsics - used some rootbeer mirrolure with limited success) but not much of a clue on where. That's a pretty big area. I'm not looking for GPS numbers or "marker X 5 yards south" just maybe, "I've been quasi successful in this general area."

In the highly unlikely event that I do place in some capacity I'll donate the proceeds to paddle-fishing.com.

If you would rather, PMs accepted and will not be disclosed.

Anyway...invoking newbie mercy rule (hopefully). Flame retardant suit on.

Course now someone will post - "Try the shipping channel. It's awesome. Lots of trout there. Use a black hula-popper or jitterbug."
JB
CooKnFish

Re: Newbie... need help for PFTS #3

Post by CooKnFish »

jbdba01 wrote:In the highly unlikely event that I do place in some capacity I'll donate the proceeds to paddle-fishing.com.
You can't do that... until after you pay their bar tab. :lol:
Paddles - they aren't just for the bedroom anymore.

~Mark~
jbdba01
Mr. Fishing Reports
Mr. Fishing Reports

Post by jbdba01 »

CooKnFish wrote:
jbdba01 wrote:In the highly unlikely event that I do place in some capacity I'll donate the proceeds to paddle-fishing.com.
You can't do that... until after you pay their bar tab. :lol:
I don't know if the kitty will be big enough.
JB
Todd
PFTS Chairman
PFTS Chairman

Post by Todd »

When fishing any new area Google Earth can be your friend. Use the destination page and look where the launches are and study the surrounding area. Look for sand potholes and some of he deeper areas for trout. Sand bottoms with moving water, close to a pass maybe, for flounder. 2' of water with grass and potholes for redfish.
You know what La Quinta means in English? Behind Dennys. MarkM
bigguy

Post by bigguy »

Im pretty new to fishing period. been to the fort 2 times(to fish) in the last 10 years. So i could use a bite of help my self.

jbdba, if all else fails, we can fish together to keep each other company????
jbdba01
Mr. Fishing Reports
Mr. Fishing Reports

Post by jbdba01 »

bigguy wrote:Im pretty new to fishing period. been to the fort 2 times(to fish) in the last 10 years. So i could use a bite of help my self.

jbdba, if all else fails, we can fish together to keep each other company????
I'll collaborate your lies if you collaborate mine.

For what it's worth I think Todd's advice above is spot on and reflects feed back from some PM's. I'm using google earth as my main guide; I think plugging numbers into my gps is over the top and plan on doing mostly visual recon and hope for the best.

My last resort will be to resort to the photo below and hope that enough people will have beer googles on and I'll be declared the winner. "That's the biggest trout we've ever seen. :worthy: Yup someone recommended I use a hula popper in the shipping channel and I hooked up to the rare beer-gogglous-mega-lopolis. You know how it is..."

I think the Foster Grants might give away the age of the photo.

JB
BlueTuna

Post by BlueTuna »

Catching fish is a bonus - just go have a good time!!
"There's no such word as can't" - Dad
David
gks0409

Post by gks0409 »

Do like todd said use google earth and don't worry about catching fish its nice just to fish and explore a new area trust me im no expert fisherman and typically get skunked on the tourneys but still have a good time meeting new people
Rik

Post by Rik »

Try that spot over there first. If that doesn't work, try that other spot around the corner. And that honey hole next to the mangroves is a sure thing most days.
Over every mountain there is a path, although it may not be seen from the valley
gsellers1245

Post by gsellers1245 »

you can never go wrong casting to where bait is being busted.
"Many of life's failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up."
-Thomas Alva Edison-
1okbyme2

Post by 1okbyme2 »

:cool: Don't sweat it man. Just go fish & get to know the fine folks on here. :cool:
"They paved paradise and put up a parking lot" Joni Mitchell
kneedeep

Post by kneedeep »

Lighter colored soft plastics are good this time of year like lime green and pearl. The Reds seem to shy away from the topwaters with a rattle when the water gets cold and gin clear. :thumbright:
<SDFT><{
"Political Correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."