8' fiberglass rods any good?

gsellers1245

8' fiberglass rods any good?

Post by gsellers1245 »

I have a buddy who does fiberglass accessories. I was talking to him about the stake out poles and wangs and similar and he informed me he could get solid core 8' x 1/2" diameter for around 30 bucks a rod either white, black or grey in color. Is this a good deal to make my own stake out pole? Right now for june and july the minimum order is 250 pieces but in august there will be no minimum order as he will steadily have them in and not have to special order them. If this is a good deal, would anyone like to jump on the DIY train?
"Many of life's failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up."
-Thomas Alva Edison-
brokenarrowjbe

Re: 8' fiberglass rods any good?

Post by brokenarrowjbe »

I use a 3.00 piece of PVC, so If you want a fiberglass rod, that would be a good deal for you. PVC is light, if you plug the ends it floats, easy to put a T on for a handle. John
Manning
Supporter 2009 - 2013

Post by Manning »

I think it is a great deal. I have a Stick It 8 ft pin that I love and I paid $65 for it as a fishing show. Before I bought this I made one of those PVC contraptions. The real difference is in the diameter. The glass rod goes in so much easier and just flat our works better. You get what you pay for and paying less for the right stuff is a good thing.
Being out on the water in the kayak is the prize. Catching fish is the bonus.

Steve
SRQGator
Grocery Yodeler

Post by SRQGator »

Are they new? I talked to a guy who was selling them, had my brother pick one up for me, and found it was used with worn spots from being wrapped with wire or something. It's ugly, but works just fine. Sharpen the business end on a grinder; epoxy a pvc t-fitting on the other.
1 1 12?
Rik

Post by Rik »

http://www.mcmaster.com/#fiberglass-%28 ... ck/=73k4tu" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

McMaster - Carr has fiberglass rod in 5' or 10' lengths and a bunch of different diameters.

1/2" 5' $6.49
1/2" 10' $11.78
Over every mountain there is a path, although it may not be seen from the valley
Manning
Supporter 2009 - 2013

Post by Manning »

SRQGator wrote:Are they new? I talked to a guy who was selling them, had my brother pick one up for me, and found it was used with worn spots from being wrapped with wire or something. It's ugly, but works just fine. Sharpen the business end on a grinder; epoxy a pvc t-fitting on the other.
Hey, maybe you won't lose this one like that spear thing.
Being out on the water in the kayak is the prize. Catching fish is the bonus.

Steve
gsellers1245

Post by gsellers1245 »

SRQGator wrote:Are they new? I talked to a guy who was selling them, had my brother pick one up for me, and found it was used with worn spots from being wrapped with wire or something. It's ugly, but works just fine. Sharpen the business end on a grinder; epoxy a pvc t-fitting on the other.
yes they are new
"Many of life's failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up."
-Thomas Alva Edison-
gsellers1245

Post by gsellers1245 »

Rik wrote:http://www.mcmaster.com/#fiberglass-%28 ... ck/=73k4tu

McMaster - Carr has fiberglass rod in 5' or 10' lengths and a bunch of different diameters.

1/2" 5' $6.49
1/2" 10' $11.78
wow thats an even better deal, ill have to contact them also. thanks rik
-Thomas Alva Edison-
Rik

Post by Rik »

Not sure about shipping costs but I'd bet it would make sense to order several
Over every mountain there is a path, although it may not be seen from the valley
gsellers1245

Post by gsellers1245 »

i was thinking the same thing
-Thomas Alva Edison-
dunfly

Post by dunfly »

Let us know what you find out. Maybe we can put an order together.
“You don’t ever want a crisis to go to waste....” — Rahm Emanuel
"Freedom!" - Sir William Wallace
Who is John Galt?
ChrisR
Supporter 2010 - 2014
Supporter 2010 - 2014

Post by ChrisR »

I use a fiberglass rod as a SOP, and love it. My opinion is that 1/2" is too thick. For locations with soft bottom, it is fine, but I have found it to be difficult to drive into firm sand or shell bottom. I now use a 1/4" fiberglass rod and am much happier with it. JMHO.