Mono Weedguards

Snook712

Mono Weedguards

Post by Snook712 »

I have just started tying and am having trouble with mono weedguards. I really like the loop style weedguards on some of the flys I have bought. When I try to tye them myself, they keep flopping over and not covering the hook.

Anyone have instructions?
Hooked on Youth Fishing Team - Sponsored by Cat Crap Lip Balm
"Fishing for the Future"
Ultimate 12 (Green)
Malibu Stealth 14 (Sand)
Roger
BearsFan
Egotistical Prick

Post by BearsFan »

Tie them in further down the bend, also crimp the end that you intend to tie in near the eye to a 90 degree angle.
Senior Exalted Pro Staff Member of the Paddle-Fishing.com Kayak & Canoe Anglers Club

"You think you have problems now? Follow your instincts, it will get worse" -Hatch
John
Guv'ner

Post by John »

"If you don't know history, then you don't know anything. You are a leaf that doesn't know it is part of a tree." - Michael Crichton
bonefishwhisperer

Post by bonefishwhisperer »

would you consider a "V" weedguard? aka mustache weedguard? easier to tie and extremely effective...I am able to literally crawl a fly thru the thickest grass without incident and they are 100% effective...
Gen 9:2 "And the fear of you and the dread of you shall be upon all the fishes of the sea; into your hand are they delivered." .... even God likes Dreads....
John
Guv'ner

Post by John »

Please explain further!

Never heard of a moustache weedguard!
"If you don't know history, then you don't know anything. You are a leaf that doesn't know it is part of a tree." - Michael Crichton
Rooster

Post by Rooster »

I tie the "V" weedguard also I like it better than the loop ones, allot easier to work with than tying a loo guard.
"I tell you now we won't give in
Without a vicious fight, We've been battered and left for dead, We've been beaten and we have bled-Versus the world" ~Amon Amarth
dunfly

Post by dunfly »

What do you use for the "V" weedguard. I have tied them with regular monofiliment, but you have to use heavy mono to get it stiff enough. I have seen light mono "V" weedguards on production flies, but it is much stiffer than typical mono.
Rooster

Post by Rooster »

I use a 40lb Ande triple fish leader material, its a little more stiff than traditonal mono.
Without a vicious fight, We've been battered and left for dead, We've been beaten and we have bled-Versus the world" ~Amon Amarth
mauso1
Supporter 2007 - 2013

Post by mauso1 »

What do you use for the "V" weedguard.
Usually 20 -30 lb Mason Hard Mono....the triplefish will work in a pinch.
Senior Exalted Pro Staff Member of the Paddle-Fishing.com Kayak & Canoe Anglers Club
bonefishwhisperer

depending on the weight of the fly I will use as lite as 15lb flouro for unweighted suspended dreads and as high as 30lb flouro on heavy lead eye flys but mostly 20lb flouro...I have several spools of flourocarbon that I have lost faith in from breakoffs etc...to me it is better to use invisible flouro since it is literally part of the fly...here is how I do it...I usually leave it long and press into shape and trim on location

Gen 9:2 "And the fear of you and the dread of you shall be upon all the fishes of the sea; into your hand are they delivered." .... even God likes Dreads....
dunfly

Post by dunfly »

I have used all of the above. Normal fishing line is too flexible to use a light weight strand. I am looking for something that is about the diameter of 10#, but stiff like a hair brush bristle. I have some kwans that have small diameter, stiff monofiliment, but I can't find anything like it.
Rik

Post by Rik »

How about Mason Hard Mono?
Over every mountain there is a path, although it may not be seen from the valley
Rooster

Post by Rooster »

Rik wrote:How about Mason Hard Mono?
Yes, thats the best suggestion as Masou1 also suggested, It is way better than the triple fish I use....but I have a crapload of the 40lb triple fish (3 spools) so I have to get rid of it somehow :lol:
mauso1
Supporter 2007 - 2013

Post by mauso1 »

but stiff like a hair brush bristle
:idea: :idea: :idea: ding ding ding

Might be a tad short but,,,perusing the aisles at the dollar store....priceless :lol:
bonefishwhisperer

I know a guy that uses the bristles with the little bumps as eyes for his flys
Snook712

Post by Snook712 »

Thanks so much for the advice. The youtube links were helpful. I did not realize there was so much fly tying stuff on youtube.

I was traveling on the job this week and spent about an hour with Jim Swann in Dade City. That was my first trip to his shop and I had a blast talking with him. I also felt like I got a free fly tying class on everything from materials to whip finishes to using deerhair.

Thanks for all the good info.
Hooked on Youth Fishing Team - Sponsored by Cat Crap Lip Balm
"Fishing for the Future"
Ultimate 12 (Green)
Malibu Stealth 14 (Sand)
Roger