Fly report

Lazyloop

Fly report

Post by Lazyloop »

Went out for an evening paddle in little sarasota bay. It was slow catching. I did manage part of a trash can slam on fly (lady fish, lizzard fish and a catfish that got off :cry: . All was going down hill when a 24" snook sucked down the offering. Sorry no pics. All were caught on a EP style pin fish (2.5") fished on an intermediate line in 6' deep holes near the ICW.

Anyone else fished fly lately? There is alot of tying going on here but whose fishin? Let's get out and get em wet fellas.
VFTG

Post by VFTG »

At least you're catching fish on the fly. Every time I take my fly rod out, the winds pick up and mess with me. Since I'm still just learning, I get discouraged pretty quick and grab a spinning rod. I know I should leave the spinners at home, but I don't get out that often. Still no excuse.
Victor

Why make a trillion when we could make... billions?
Chief1600

Post by Chief1600 »

Cool, maybe the pinfish I did for the swap will be productive for someone.
Jim - snooty elitist

"Of all pursuits mankind has devised to make you look stupid and uncoordinated, fly fishing is unquestionably number one." Jack Ohman, Fear of Fly Fishing
VARick

Post by VARick »

I'm still trying to learn to cast while sitting. Did manage one hit on one of the swap flys from the last swap.
Wind was not too bad behind Honeymoon this morning.
islander

Post by islander »

Been doing alright on little snook up in the river. Small olive & white clousers...

This weekend I fished for mullet exclusively. I want to purposely catch one on a fly. Showed up to a hole that's usually packed with em, and they weren't there like they usually are. Go figure...
www.lemonbayconservancy.org
Rooster

Post by Rooster »

I havent seen a fish on the fly for a while, I've been offshore fishing the last few trips, and there hasnt been much action of the surface.
"I tell you now we won't give in
Without a vicious fight, We've been battered and left for dead, We've been beaten and we have bled-Versus the world" ~Amon Amarth
Lazyloop

Post by Lazyloop »

Seems like the name of the game lately is slow. I fished from 4:30 to 6 this evening (after the honey doos were honey done). I was in green water, open bay with sand bottom to 6' up against a concrete bulk head. This was the East side of the bay so the seawalls heat up in the afternoon. I thought I might find a few dink snook and maybe a flounder. Instead I broke off a MONSTER trout, it was in my freakin' hand! (well over 25") That teaches me to leave the net at home. I was fishing an intermediate line, with 5' of 10 lbs tippet and a brown suspending EP style fly that I tie 3.5" long and fat like my favorite cigar. The only other hit was a sail cat that slimed up the fly and it had to be retired. Slow day but well worth the sunset and adrenaline.
BearsFan
Egotistical Prick

Post by BearsFan »

Rooster wrote:I havent seen a fish on the fly for a while, I've been offshore fishing the last few trips, and there hasnt been much action of the surface.
Get a sinking line, genius. Lots of hungry snapper and grouper out there.
Senior Exalted Pro Staff Member of the Paddle-Fishing.com Kayak & Canoe Anglers Club

"You think you have problems now? Follow your instincts, it will get worse" -Hatch