Night Fishing ?

newyaker

Night Fishing ?

Post by newyaker »

I haven't done much night fishing. What should I look for( docks,light,poles,etc....?) and what are the best baits to use at night.
I'm in the dark ,
Thanks
Need2YakFish

Post by Need2YakFish »

I'm certainly not as experienced as many who post here, but do fish a lot at night, so I'll share what's worked for me. I go real simple on gear, often taking only one rod/reel. I throw white Gulp 3-4" shrimp & pogys, Mirrodine & Mirrolure topwater plugs (Poppa Dog, Top Dog Jr.) in clear, white/red head, bone, & green back / white belly. Mission Fishin 1/16 oz reg. & weedless jigs or Mustad Power locks for the shrimp - 3/0 w/ 1/16 oz sliding weight for the 3" shrimp, & an unweighted 5/0 for the 4". Sometimes I throw an Exude Rt 5" slug in rainbow shad. If I get real bored or am getting skunked but can catch a ladyfish, I'll cut it into 1" chunks and let them sit on the bottom on a 2/0 circle hook. You get plenty of catties this way, but a lot of snook & reds, too.

I fish moving water, & try to hit shorelines & creek mouths on the last of the outgoing through the early incoming, & holes at slack low. Pretty much like everybody else, I guess. I'm not much of a dock guy, I like to get away from man made structure, but from what I hear, bridges and docks can be fantastic spots. I go mainly during the bigger tides on the new & full moons. By the way, wading the Clam Bar at night on a big low tide is awfully cool & pretty productive fishing wise.

Night fishing is so great here - quiet, uncrowded, just you and the fish.

Maybe I'll see you out there, tight lines.
A fish bending a rod is just positive feedback from your environment.
newyaker

Post by newyaker »

Wow ! I didn't expect all that at once. Great job! Sounds like you know what you are doing when it comes to night fishing to me.
Thanks for the great info ! This will help me a lot .

Tight lines
JoseC

Post by JoseC »

whatever works during the day works just as well at night
Jose C

Hobie Revolution
countryboy_ucf

Post by countryboy_ucf »

I would suggest going weedless, especially when fishing around mangroves. Because your depth perception in the dark is horrible, and bringing two rods is also a must for the same reason. I broke a rod tip in the trees trying to get un hung the other night. DOA Jerkbaits have been kicking butt lately. I think the real key to whatever you are using though is to work it slow.

Good luck with this and make sure you watch out for manatees and bring an extra flashlight.
Nick F
Hobie Revolution
"More often than not, when someone is telling me a story all I can think about is that I can't wait for them to finish so that I can tell my own
story that's not only better, but also more directly involves me."