TAGGED BONEFISH

Naples to West Palm and south, including the Keys
bonefishwhisperer

TAGGED BONEFISH

Post by bonefishwhisperer »

I went out today to prefish a flat that I havent been on for about 6 months...I will have 2 clients on saturday and a hard bottom is manditory as one of them is physically challenged...to my surprise there were tarpon everywhere at sunrise...always just out of my reach after a guy jumped one from the daisy chain...if the wind hadnt come up at that moment...I did encounter several pods and singles of bones...the birds seemed to be out to get me and they spooked most of them but NOT ALL...a huge school suddenly appeared and had to be 100 fish and they were pretty big....easy target for the clouser...3 strips and WHAM...with the current and the wind and also the weedball on my line I almost got spooled but took it like a man until half the arbour was bare and it stopped...the fish just held ground for 15 minutes and didnt move but I was at 200yds plus so I was compromised myself...finally I get it coming back and after 35 minutes I landed the bonefish...when I went to tag it I found it already had been tagged before so that was way cool...it might have even been me...I'll have to check...seen everything but permit and ended up with 2 bones
FishingDL

Post by FishingDL »

Very nice.
Dave
-------------------------------------------------------
Is your fish dripping?

(11-01) 235 - (1-22) 215
John
Guv'ner

Post by John »

Noice!

Looking forward to fishing with you mate :wink:
"If you don't know history, then you don't know anything. You are a leaf that doesn't know it is part of a tree." - Michael Crichton
shamus
The Beaver Tickler

Post by shamus »

Your killin me !!!
0 0 1
Vlap

Post by Vlap »

Absolutely incredible. I look forward to fishing with you someday!
"It's always an adventure! " Cooknfish.
JoseC

Post by JoseC »

You sure know how to slay them. every report I have seen by you is great.
Jose C

Hobie Revolution
bonefishwhisperer

probably because I am slow to report sucky days :lol: I have been pretty lucky this winter and I believe I have only been shut out once...right now I am scoring about every 3 hrs
krash
Supporter 2010 - 2014
Supporter 2010 - 2014

Post by krash »

Thats kool, what do you do in a case like this, do you double tag it ?
Senior Exalted Pro Staff Member of the Paddle-Fishing.com Kayak & Canoe Anglers Club

SW, Live to Fish, Have Tackle will travel ... >,)))~> ~~~~
bonefishwhisperer

no...maybe I should have but I'm not sure I'm suppose to...the original tag is still solid and after cleaning it was readable...there is a phone number on the tag to call...the main thing is to get the tag number or its useless...I carry a sharpie and write it inside the canoe in big numbers for all tagged fish...the number can also be found by googling bonefish research and the tagging program will pop up...if anybody gets one please call them as they are securing the future fishing here with tarpon and bonefish research..."rocket science on the flats" is the motto on the shirts they send me each yr
sixto09

Post by sixto09 »

good job cordell. How big of a strip do you use when targeting the bones(4inch etc), and also when laying out the line i heard the best way is right infront of the fish and strping away so that the fly goes away in a forward direction not side ways. Is this true, or either or is fine?
bonefishwhisperer

thats a good question and to me has lots of gray area to work with...there is little doubt the straight in front appoach is best simply because the flyline is the farthest away from the fish and they are basically looking forward...to go against the grain a little I mainly take side shots preferrably at about 45 degrees against the school...if they get by I dont hesitate to cast from the back...this is unheard of and believed to be impossible...Mother has seen me do it before...if your leader is long enough to take the flyline out from overhead and your leader is good quality flourocarbon they really dont know which way it came from until you actually strip the fly...this is where it gets tricky...a crab fly is a good option because it just needs to fall and sit...I have a certain cast that I use on all or nothing senerios as that...it requires throwing a exagerated tailing loop to the point that the fly is actually facing away from you when it hits so the first several strips the fly actually swims away from the fish until the loop of line collapses...did I confuse everything?
Mako

Post by Mako »

dang, now I understand why I haven't got into fly fishing....it looks complicated, it sounds even more complicated :lol:
Peter
Wilderness Systems Tarpon 160
sixto09

Post by sixto09 »

lol you gotta love the sport :lol: Thanks for the reply. i believe i picked it up. I guess its just trail and error until you find out what works for you and the fish. Hopefully next time ill leave the spinner at home and stick to the long rod do or die style and see what happens. ill try quick short 6 inch strips as if the shrimp is escaping from some predator and see if that catches there attention. Check your email address
perch

blown out

Post by perch »

what's up...did you get blown out saturday?

Tides look good all week and dang it for the regular job, I can't make it weekdays but maybe it the flats after work.

Drop me a pm sometime.

later,
perch
bonefishwhisperer

ended up having to work...having major headaches on a very simple job...sadly I just received word that the problem still exist and I will have to go back again for free...I have clients this week also so MY actual time lately on the water is limited right now
perch

limited time

Post by perch »

heard that...thought I saw your truck at the launch today as the tides are good.

Could you give me a quick tip about posting pics, got a nice peacock bass out of the back yard yesterday,
might make some nice inspiration.

Later