No - but I wish I could
22%

Total votes: 63

jbdba01
Mr. Fishing Reports
Mr. Fishing Reports

standing up in a kayak

Post by jbdba01 »

With the demo coming up shortly I was researching what kayaks I can stand up in. I'm not so much looking to stretch the legs as much as I am looking to be able to get that height advantage to see farther or see deeper into the water.

I did a search here and came up with a couple few :

Native
Jackson Coosa
Diablo - looks like a barge to me.

Correct me if I'm wrong but the trade off for stability is that there will be more drag and hence make for a longer day paddling. I wouldn't say I'm a hard core paddler, but it's not unusual to do +5-6 miles - 2.5 out, 2.5 in.

Assuming I can make the demo, what other make/models do you think I should look at? For that matter let me throw this out there - is it really worth the tradeoff - considering we (in general) are mostly fishing the ocean and typically have some type of wind if you have the ability to stand up, do you stand up (see poll above)?

I know that in my canoe I stand and pole occasionally, but that's a pretty stable platform. In my current kayak there's no way to do it. If it factors into the equation I'm 6'3 220-225 ("a mountain of molten lust" :razz: ).
JB
Rik

Re: standing up in a kayak

Post by Rik »

Standing, IMO, has more to do with the person than the boat. Yes, some kayaks by design are inherently better suited for standing but that certainly doesn't mean that everyone can stand in them. If you can't stand in a boat, it likely isn't the boat's fault.
Over every mountain there is a path, although it may not be seen from the valley
Rik

Post by Rik »

I should add that for those of us that are standing challenged, there are outrigger solutions that will make standing possible for almost anyone.

One more thing you'll be able to see at the Demo Day.
Over every mountain there is a path, although it may not be seen from the valley
kneedeep

Post by kneedeep »

Rik wrote:Standing, IMO, has more to do with the person than the boat. Yes, some kayaks by design are inherently better suited for standing but that certainly doesn't mean that everyone can stand in them. If you can't stand in a boat, it likely isn't the boat's fault.

I was trying to post basically the same comment, but when I hit SUBMIT, the forum page disappeared! :shock: . Yeah J, it's all about what you personally are comfortable with. I've seen my college age daughters stand up in my kayak and I would never even attempt it. Not that I would want to.. I do okay standing in kneedeep water instead of IN the kayak. You cast laess of a shadow that way. :cool:
<SDFT><{
"Political Correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."
Todd
PFTS Chairman
PFTS Chairman

Post by Todd »

jbdba01 wrote:Assuming I can make the demo, what other make/models do you think I should look at?
Wilderness System Commander.
You know what La Quinta means in English? Behind Dennys. MarkM
JoeS

Post by JoeS »

I will also have the Mohawk Solo14 with Stabilizers you can not only stand in it you can walk around :cool: :cool: ....when you want to move locations just lift the stabilizers and paddle.......it is shaped like a Native or Commander only weights 42# and has plenty of room.....
Disclaimer: I do represent Mohawk Canoes as well as Spring Creek Outfitters(various Kayak and Canoe accessories)I will have catalogs available......
"I want to help the helpless, but I don't give a damn about the clueless anymore!
BearsFan
Egotistical Prick

Post by BearsFan »

Standing is the only way I fish out of my kayak.
Senior Exalted Pro Staff Member of the Paddle-Fishing.com Kayak & Canoe Anglers Club

"You think you have problems now? Follow your instincts, it will get worse" -Hatch
Tide1on

Post by Tide1on »

Take a look at or try the Heritage Redfish14. At 5'-11" 200-210lbs, I stand, poll myself along with the paddle, cast and fight the fishes without any problems.
NATIVE Redfish14
Your Wallet - The one place Democrats are willing to drill

Steve
JoeS

Post by JoeS »

Tide1on wrote:Take a look at or try the Heritage Redfish14. At 5'-11" 200-210lbs, I stand, poll myself along with the paddle, cast and fight the fishes without any problems.
Ya Steve but everyone knows your really "Green Lantern"...... :cool: :cool: :wink: :wink: :lol: :lol:
"I want to help the helpless, but I don't give a damn about the clueless anymore!
MrSpectaculous

Post by MrSpectaculous »

Get a 16' boat and a pair of wadeing boots.
I think I can dance.
Bill
Ultimate 14.5
Purple Emotion GS
shamus
The Beaver Tickler

Post by shamus »

The only reason I'd stand in a kayak is to make a really funny youtube video of an old guy hitting the water. It wouldn't be a graceful landing!
0 0 1
jbdba01
Mr. Fishing Reports
Mr. Fishing Reports

Post by jbdba01 »

MrSpectaculous wrote:Get a 16' boat and a pair of wadeing boots.
I hear what you are saying, but in kneedeep water I might as well be sitting in the kayak.

To me standing is analogous with a tower on a stink pot. That extra 3-4' makes a diff.

For example I was sight fishing for poon in yea ol' stinkpot standing on the gunnels, my buddy is about 5'4", I'm 6'3" - I was seeing about 50% more fish than he and when he did see them, they had to be closer. After a while he asked me about my glasses - I don't think that was it, it was the angle.

It's pretty easy to see that big school of reds coming or tailing, but that lone red is a diff story.

My current kayak is 15', but the interior is almost impossible to stand in. The interior is rounded so water goes out the scuppers and it's basically shaped as 2 tracks separated by a third hump. So basically you can't move your feet on a round bottom. You can try it, but I suspect it's like pissing into the wind. Sooner or later you're going to get wet.

The photo below isn't exactly the best photo of a fish, but it gives a feel for the bottom. There's no "wiggle" room for my size 12's.

JB
bigguy

Post by bigguy »

The Malibu stealth series is supposed go be good for standing.
ZeroSix

Post by ZeroSix »

JB - I am looking to sell one of my Hobie Outbacks and am seriously looking at the Hobie ProAngler for this purpose. Its more of a "boat" with an 88# hull weight but I too am looking for something to stand from without risking throwing myself out. I stand and pole in my Outback quite a bit but it is not comfortable for long stints - even with my cat-like agility :cool:
“Buda! Wanna see the best thing about owning a Hobie???”

18 March - Eric Bell Memorial

Hobie Outback - Moss "Ole Blue"
Hobie Pro Angler - Dune "Big Phaddy"

Sr. Vice President ExPS-Elite -PFK-CaC
snooker56

Post by snooker56 »

OK. The truth hurts and here's the scenario: I feel the need to stand. I do. So far, so good. I actually move the kayak a bit. Then the boat begins to shake and suddenly...CRASH! I'm sitting once again and have scared every fish for miles.
"Bugman" Tom

Heritage Redfish 14
Chevy Silverado
Heywood

Post by Heywood »

bigguy wrote:The Malibu stealth series is supposed go be good for standing.

"Anytime I shag a buddies wife I always cut the lawn when I'm done " ~ The Leg End ~