Kayak Color

fishinfoflounder

Post by fishinfoflounder »

Any thoughts on plastic integrity based on color? Are the components in one color of plastic tougher than another?
DAILY THOUGHT: MOST PEOPLE ARE LIKE SLINKIES - NOT REALLY GOOD FOR ANYTHING BUT THEY
BRING A SMILE TO YOUR FACE WHEN PUSHED DOWN THE STAIRS.
Chief1600

Post by Chief1600 »

Normally the color is based on the pigment added to the plastic. The durability has more to do with the formulation of the material used. Differnt grades of the same basic material (polyethylene) vary greatly in their durability, stiffness and suitability for use. Some colors do tend to be more prone to fade and chalking but a quality boat should have the UV inhibitors in the plastic. Using a good protectant like 303 once in a while is good insurance
Jim - snooty elitist

"Of all pursuits mankind has devised to make you look stupid and uncoordinated, fly fishing is unquestionably number one." Jack Ohman, Fear of Fly Fishing
FlaPaddleFish

Post by FlaPaddleFish »

Chief1600 wrote:...Using a good protectant like 303 once in a while is good insurance
Thank's Chief! Never thought about that!!
Hobie Outback S.U.V.
Fishaddict
Supporter 2013

Post by Fishaddict »

I had a White Hobie and it was hard to keep clean. It showed every little stain and dirt no matter how hard I washed it. It, also, was hot from the glare on its white body. It was a Hobie Outback SUV. I sold it last week and bought a Hobie Revolution in Moss Green. I have been out in it a couple of times and love it. There is no glare and it seems to be no hotter or cooler than the white. It also doesn't show dirt. I was torn between Red and Moss Green and having had a red car once, fading was a problem. Since I do plan on keeping this one for a long time I opted for the moss green. I may pit a flag on a pole on it so I can bee seen in the heavy traffic areas that I may have to cross.. Like Honeymoon Island...
[b][i]Have Boat ... Will Fish[/i][/b]
LivelyBaits

Post by LivelyBaits »

If you are so close to fish that you're worried about them seeing your kayak, you either need to learn to cast further or not paddle up that close to the fish.

Color is nothing more than a preference choice.

My boats are Sand color and I'll probably stay with that.
pee-dash-eff, "Desperate. H.W"