Tarpon 160 rig

Have rigging questions or a good idea? Found a good fishing product? Tell us about it.
nikonjedi

Tarpon 160 rig

Post by nikonjedi »

Hey ya'll.. just got back form the brothers house and now have my Tarpon 160 in my garage! :wink: It is the old school, two hatches instead of a well in back. The guy I bought it from said he ran the straps in the bottom of a crate but I was thinking about a PVC rack from the flush mounts up and over to make a rack for rod holders and stuff... any ideas???
"Paddle Faster boys... I hear banjo music..."
Tarpon 160os
SC Chapter Coordinator- Heroes on the Water
www.heroesonthewater.org
Rik

Post by Rik »

Find a drop in tank well and everything will work out just fine....
Over every mountain there is a path, although it may not be seen from the valley
Sully

Post by Sully »

Rik wrote:Find a drop in tank well and everything will work out just fine....
First you need to find a Genie to make one for you. I have been looking for some time and cannot find one. I finally just decided that crate/tankwell wasn't needed and have been doing fine without it. I mean I usually take several rods rigged differently and don't change lures that often so why take all that stuff. Some items are in a small zippered pouch on the back of the seat. Seems to work thus far.

Let us know if you find one though. I think I still might want one to put a cooler in.
TRUE
Gramps

Post by Gramps »

Ken,

I thought you had a line on one over here http://paddle-fishing-forum.com/viewtop ... ght=insert?
-Scott

And across from the bar there's a pile of beer cans
Been there twenty-seven years
Imagine all the heart aches and tears
In twenty-seven years of beer
yakin-4-life

Post by yakin-4-life »

nikonjedi can you post a pick of your boat im just not sure what you are talking about when you say you need a drop in tank well.
Expectations are nothing more than predetermined disappointments.
Todd
PFTS Chairman
PFTS Chairman

Post by Todd »

Yakin-

This 160 has a drop in tankwell, check out the rear of the baot. You would remove the hatch cover and drop in a pre-made tankwell. It fit into the older model Tarpon 160's.

http://paddle-fishing-forum.com/viewtopic.php?t=21977
You know what La Quinta means in English? Behind Dennys. MarkM
nikonjedi

Post by nikonjedi »

as far as the tank well inserts... I found somone on here who has them... I was looking for another way to rig the boat up though. my main thought was running PVC up and out of the rod holders high enough to hold a rod and running a cross bar from side to side to attach PVC tubes to hold the rods... from the front of that attaching a small basket to hold my plano box with junk in it... I was wondering if anyone else had any other ideas besides the tank well.. I may wind up going that route but I wanted to explore other options... as soon as I get the rig all set I'll post some pix of the finished product :wink: Another question... will a regular lawn mower battery work to power a fish finder???
Tarpon 160os
www.heroesonthewater.org
Rik

Post by Rik »

Get the drop in tankwell.
Over every mountain there is a path, although it may not be seen from the valley
yakin-4-life

Post by yakin-4-life »

YES ANY 12V BATTERY WILL WORK
Expectations are nothing more than predetermined disappointments.
CooKnFish

Post by CooKnFish »

Paddles - they aren't just for the bedroom anymore.

~Mark~
nikonjedi

Post by nikonjedi »

Cool. Thanks guys... Rik sent me a pic of a rod holder rig that looks awesome.... I think I'll try that and see how it works. As for the battery I am leaning towards the one cooknfish posted... I should have the boat rigged and ready for the weekend... I'll make sure I post some pix of the new ride :wink:
Tarpon 160os
www.heroesonthewater.org
skinnywater

Post by skinnywater »

Those little 7Ah batteries are nice, and a lot lighter than a lawnmower or motorcycle battery. I got mine at Radio Shack, the battery is for a home alarm system.
It should power the fishfinder for a day or two before needing a charge.
nikonjedi

Post by nikonjedi »

Got the Werker and plugged it up... :? Either I got a bad battery or my fish finder is McJacked.... I got nada when I plugged it up... I am getting the battery double checked to make sure but so far I still have no FF :( I'll be monkeying around with it... Thanks to all of ya for the advice and tips! Out of all the kayakers I know... yer a bunch of them! :)
Tarpon 160os
www.heroesonthewater.org
skinnywater

Post by skinnywater »

nikonjedi wrote:Got the Werker and plugged it up... :? Either I got a bad battery or my fish finder is McJacked.... I got nada when I plugged it up... I am getting the battery double checked to make sure but so far I still have no FF :( I'll be monkeying around with it... Thanks to all of ya for the advice and tips! Out of all the kayakers I know... yer a bunch of them! :)
Check the plug in terminals for corrosion. I had a problem with mine until I cleaned them and coated the plug with corrosion inhibitor( from the auto parts place.
nikonjedi

Post by nikonjedi »

It looks like they have a little corrosion on them and afet closer inspection the wire has a nice gouge in it right behind where it coem into the little basket for the battery. I have about 12 feet of power cable and it only needs to go about a foot so i am going to trim it down to about 10 feet and re-do the connectors... I really appreciate the help y'all! I am goign to try and get it out this afternoon and tmorrow morning... Hopefully I'll have Pix to post on Monday :wink:
Tarpon 160os
www.heroesonthewater.org
nikonjedi

Post by nikonjedi »

Skinny hit the nail on the head... THe connectors were a lot owrse than I thought... I just cut the of and put on new ones and she works perfectly... gonna try and get her out today... Thanks again for all y'all's help!

Got out this morning to a dead calm morning... paddled out and hit my local creeks... I had no idea there were so many pockets and hole in them... The fish finder worked like a charm! Now I'll spend the next 15 times out trying to remember all the holes I found! :wink: wit that didn't sound right did it??? :wink:
Tarpon 160os
www.heroesonthewater.org