Gag

Flamingo to Big Bend
mikeB
Supporter 2007 - 2014
Supporter 2007 - 2014

Gag

Post by mikeB »

I was at Emerson Point yesterday and caught this on an Exude. Lots of fun on 10 lb. PP. The towel was necessary for gripping the lower jaw as the jig head was deeply embedded in the bony upper jaw. after a few attempts using x-tool pliers I had it out and it swam away vigorously upon release.

apaulos

Post by apaulos »

Nice catch!

Since you mentioned the point, you got me wondering: reef in the river or the one off the point out into the bay.

We need more kayak reef fishing reports! :)
americanrobster

Post by americanrobster »

Nice catch! I have a a friend who lives out on Snead Island and wants me to go down there and do some fishing. I would like to make a trip to Emerson Point soon. Any takers?
Rooster

Post by Rooster »

I'd do it, but I'm booked up for a while....With the Super bowl here in Tampa.......we are getting HAMMERED with work!!!!!
"I tell you now we won't give in
Without a vicious fight, We've been battered and left for dead, We've been beaten and we have bled-Versus the world" ~Amon Amarth
1okbyme2

Post by 1okbyme2 »

So thats a gag grouper? Is that what you are eating when you get a grouper sandwhich? I fished the point once last year in March & was just exploring that fishing hole. Pretty cool looking & diverse area as far as structure was concerned. I'll be there again this year, so nice to know it's possible to get one of those.
"They paved paradise and put up a parking lot" Joni Mitchell
Mark R

Post by Mark R »

I think that might be a black grouper. The markings on a gag are less defined, kinda mottled.
Only if you paid way tooo much for the sandwich.
"Likes smokey old pool rooms N clear mountain mornins. Little warm puppies, children and girls of the night"?
seeinred

Post by seeinred »

tropview wrote:I think that might be a black grouper. The markings on a gag are less defined, kinda mottled.
Pretty sure it's a gag, I've noticed inshore gags are pretty dark sometimes. Blacks have a more defined almost squarish pattern than gags, that one looks like it has more like random spots.
For more kayak fishing reports, tips, and fishing charters please visit;
http://tampabaykayakcharters.com/

Spencer
7TH AVEcrewKyle

Post by 7TH AVEcrewKyle »

seeinred wrote:
tropview wrote:I think that might be a black grouper. The markings on a gag are less defined, kinda mottled.
Pretty sure it's a gag, I've noticed inshore gags are pretty dark sometimes. Blacks have a more defined almost squarish pattern than gags, that one looks like it has more like random spots.
Yeah its def a gag, theres a bunch of them at emerson as well as some smaller red grouper. Theirs some big boys too, theres def keepers on that reef. Oh and and a 100lb jew was caught there last year, that would be fun from a plastic boat.
click clack BOOM
americanrobster

Post by americanrobster »

Making me hungry, just make sure to follow the new Grouper regulations.
MarkM
Supporter 2007 - 2012

Post by MarkM »

7TH AVEcrewKyle wrote:Oh and and a 100lb jew was caught there last year, that would be fun from a plastic boat.
Not quite a 100 pounder, but a nice goliath by ChipM about 12 miles offshore of Chokoloskee a few years ago:

BearsFan
Egotistical Prick

Post by BearsFan »

Reef Fish Gear Rules
Rules for state and federal waters of the Gulf of Mexico require all commercial
fishers and recreational anglers fishing for any Gulf reef fish species from a
vessel to use circle hooks, dehooking devices and venting tools. These rules
affect all reef fish species in the Gulf including groupers, snappers, amberjacks,
triggerfish, porgies, sea bass, hogfish, and tilefish.
The rules require fishers on all vessels fishing for reef fish in the Gulf to
possess and use the following gear (as necessary):
• Non-stainless steel, non-offset circle hooks when natural baits (live or dead)
are used
• Dehooking devices to remove hooks embedded in Gulf reef fish with minimal
damage.
• Venting tool to deflate the swimbladders of Gulf reef fish to help release the
fish with minimum damage.
For additional information, please visit MyFWC.com.

This pertains to kayak anglers as well if you are targeting and plan on keeping reef species.
Senior Exalted Pro Staff Member of the Paddle-Fishing.com Kayak & Canoe Anglers Club

"You think you have problems now? Follow your instincts, it will get worse" -Hatch
Rooster

Post by Rooster »

BearsFan wrote:Reef Fish Gear Rules
affect all reef fish species in the Gulf including groupers, snappers, amberjacks,
• Non-stainless steel, non-offset circle hooks when natural baits (live or dead)
are used
damage.
• Venting tool to deflate the swimbladders of Gulf reef fish to help release the

This pertains to kayak anglers as well if you are targeting and plan on keeping reef species.
That partains to fedral waters, (beyond 9 miles from shore)
Without a vicious fight, We've been battered and left for dead, We've been beaten and we have bled-Versus the world" ~Amon Amarth
BearsFan
Egotistical Prick

Post by BearsFan »

Rooster wrote:
BearsFan wrote:Reef Fish Gear Rules
are used
damage.

That partains to fedral waters, (beyond 9 miles from shore)
Do you mean to say "That pertains to federal waters"? You are correct, but is a requirement of state waters as well. That is a cut and paste from the FWC website. Nice try.
Senior Exalted Pro Staff Member of the Paddle-Fishing.com Kayak & Canoe Anglers Club

"You think you have problems now? Follow your instincts, it will get worse" -Hatch
Rooster

Post by Rooster »

I was 1/2 right :lol: I use circles offshore anyway...

Do these laws apply to artificials and Flies?
FrankC

Post by FrankC »

The intent of the law is to protect deep water species, but it does tend to create some problems. Suppose you are trolling bait for kings and one of the listed species hits. The man checks you and you have no circle hooks on board, but you do have the grouper or whatever in the fish box. Now what :?:

Guess you would have to look at keeping the required equipment on board just as you do flares and such to cover your rear. Unless you were observed landing the fish, you could not be charged with illegal fishing.
Chief1600

Post by Chief1600 »

I caught one of those at Emerson last year wading on the South side in front of the "mound", on a top water. So you never know for sure what's going to hit a lure.
Jim - snooty elitist

"Of all pursuits mankind has devised to make you look stupid and uncoordinated, fly fishing is unquestionably number one." Jack Ohman, Fear of Fly Fishing