Cabela's rod building kit

islander

Cabela's rod building kit

Post by islander »

I'm planning on buying the rod building kit from cabela's. Has anybody used this yet? I'm just wondering if there's anything else I'm going to need. This is new territory, ANY help would be appreciated.
www.lemonbayconservancy.org
Bayport_Bob

Post by Bayport_Bob »

I believe Cabelas stocks this book also. I highly recommend it.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/157188 ... e&n=283155

While Cabelas has some decent kits, I would call up the folks at Mudhole and tell them what kind of rod you want, and let them put together a kit for you. They do it all the time and their company is 100% rodbuilding supplies. They're store/warehouse is in Orlando if your in that area often.

http://shop.mudhole.com/

My favorite supplier is Custom Tackle Supply in Tennessee. Their online catalog sucks, but the owner and employees have always treated me great. I've done business with them for several years.

http://www.customtackle.com/

THE online resource for rod bulders and created by the author of the above book is http://www.rodbuilding.org/list.php?2. - The FAQ section answers all the questions for a beginner. Be sure to read the free artcles in the "Library" section. If the bug bites you, then you will want to subscribe to RodMaker magazine too.

My general observations are that you won't save a whole lot of money on building conventional rods (casting and spinnning), but you'll save a lot of money if it's a fly rod (compared to similar factory rods). The fly rods I've made have the best components available (titanium guides & reel seats) and they still cost less than the factory rod on the same blank.

The toughest skill is wrapping guides. Practice on a small diameter wooden dowel before you commit to wrappping the rod. You can always cut the thread off and start again. Take your time and walk away when things get frustrating. It can be tedious if you're not use to the process.

It's a fun hobby and the startup costs aren't that steep. Like any hobby though, it can easily mushroom into a couple thousand dollars worth of equipment, parts, books, videos, & DVD's.
Wanna buy a paddle?
GILs_GONE_WILD

Post by GILs_GONE_WILD »

Hi Jim,

Sorry, I don't enter the Rod Building forum very much and I just saw this post.

I don't build rods but thought I might one day so a friend of mine gave me step by step instructions on hard copy. If you would like, send me your address and I'll copy a set for you.
GIL

"Only the half-mad are wholly alive." ~~~ Edward Abbey
islander

Post by islander »

Do you guys wrap by hand? Is it worth the extra money to buy a motorized kit?
www.lemonbayconservancy.org
Bayport_Bob

Post by Bayport_Bob »

Pretty much everyone starts out hand wrapping and most stay with that method. The fancy motorized lathes you see are more applicable for rods that have several long wraps - boat rods with underwraps come to mind 1st. Wrapping a ~1" long guide wrap that is the most common for spinning & fly rods takes a minute or two when you get proficient at it.

What people usually motorize is the step for curing the wrap finish. This is pretty much identical to using a barbeque rotissorie to cook a roast. It turns slowly so the rod finish cures in a uniform layer over the wrap. They usually turn anywhere from 4 to 40ish rpms. The alternative is to hand turn the rod every 10 or so miutes for several hours until the finish sets up.

The other common use for a lathe is for shaping your own cork grips or foam grips. I do this for the cork grips I make. Forming your own grips really makes for a custom rod and custom fit. I have pretty big hands & the stock grips you can order are just too small for long term comfort, so I make my own from 1/2" thick by 1-1/4" diameter cork rings glues up in a cylinder shape.

Save your money and buy or make equipment as needed. You can get started by using a coffee cup, large phone book and a cardboard box to wrap with. Do an internet search and there are several sites that walk you through the basics of wrapping with minimal equipment and expense.
Wanna buy a paddle?
LivelyBaits

Post by LivelyBaits »

Well said Bob. Custom applications are the part that makes it worthwhile. I used a rod today that I made with a very short cork butt and it was a delight for an "anchor up" trip where I was fishing almost straight up and down.... (no rod getting hung up on your sleeve :x )

I have always used a power wrapper for doing rods. But for me: The guy who taught me convinced me to put an "underwrap" on every time. So...I do.
pee-dash-eff, "Desperate. H.W"
islander

Post by islander »

flyfisherman.com/rodbuilding has a great article on getting started. I appreciate the help. I would have dropped $100 on that kit.

I came across some inexpensive bamboo blanks as well. As soon as the budget allows, and after a couple of guinea pigs, i'm thinking a 6wt. for those little beach snook.