???

which is better for fishing and camping?

SOT kayak
64%
solo canoe
36%

Total votes: 33

Redfisher

???

Post by Redfisher »

???
Last edited by Redfisher on Sat Aug 08, 2009 5:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Erick
"Mister OLC"
"Mister OLC"

Post by Erick »

I can only talk to the kayaks that I have owned. My first SOT kayak was the Perception Illusion. The front hatch was adequate and you could probably get a limited amount of "stuff" in there. My two Malibus are quite different. They have an extraordinary amount of storage and the hatches are huge, which would allow you to carry larger and more "stuff". And keep it dry and protected. The Malibu boats are heavier than the Illusion that I owned and probably heavier than a canoe depending on which canoe and what material you select. I know some canoes are made out of some lighter materials. The way I look at speed is that I am never paddling more than 10 miles in any given direction, and usually less than 3. I usually am fishing along the way, so I sacrifice other attributes for speed. I have only been out in a canoe a couple of times but it was always with another angler, I was actually surprised how quick and stable we moved in the canoe. With all that said, it is really personal preference. Good luck in your search.
Don't give up. Don't ever give up.
Jim Valvano

{{>=====<}} <'))))><ing
cubs83

Post by cubs83 »

Most kayaks are hollow all the way through so you really can fit a lot of stuff through the hatches of the kayak. Also make sure the kayak has a greater weight capacity if you are going to put a lot of stuff into it.

With a canoe it will be difficult to manage it with one person and it should be quite difficult. A kayak is also more stable because of your lower center of gravity.

A kayak will be more fun and will do much more things than a canoe will do for you.

If you get cramped or stiff...a few accessories (good seat) solve this problem by the way...but if you do get stiff...just get out in shallow water and do a little wadefishing...get back in and you should be good to go.
trans·plant 
–verb (used with object)
1. to remove (a plant) from one place and plant it in another.
2. to move from one place to another.
3. to bring (a family, colony, etc.) from one country, region, etc., to another for settlement; relocate.
mikeB
Supporter 2007 - 2014
Supporter 2007 - 2014

Post by mikeB »

I had a conoe before my kayak and enjoy the kayak much more for fishing. It is less suseptible to wind and forces an economy of tackle. I can get by with a single Plano box without any problem since I am usually targeting (usually unsuccessfully) a particular species. The storage hatches on my boat (Heritage) allow me to carry enough food, water and a small tent for overnight trips. There is a lot to be said for recreational paddling a canoe however, especially with company.
Sledford

Post by Sledford »

I have a Kayak and a one person canoe. I was out in the canoe this morning. If it is windy the kayak is better but the more I us the canoe the more that I like it. It is a lot easier to stand in even though it has a 28" beam. It is 14.5 long adn it is just as fast as my 15.3 kayak.
Sam
Backlasher

Post by Backlasher »

Canoes catch more wind than a kayak. That can make a real difference depending on conditions. There's a group in Texas that uses kayaks to transport everything for primitive camping in remote spots. Read on

http://www.packtx.org/

On one of their trips, one of the guys caught a six foot tarpon in the surf. In Florida, that may not be unusual but in Texas it is.
Larry
If I've told you once, I've told you a million times...don't exaggerate!
John
Guv'ner

Post by John »

Well, I'm not to sure I agree with Cubs assessment. Having both kayaks and canoes, it's simply not that cut and dried.

1) Canoe will more likely have a higher payload than a kayak

2) If the weight is correctly distributed in a canoe, it is far more stable than a kayak, that's why it's easier to stand in :shock:

3) Paddling solo is not that difficult in a canoe, especially a "solo" canoe, and in a tandem, all you need to do is even out the weight distribution and it will paddle fine.

4) I think a canoe can do more than a kayak, you can carry more weight, you can stand in it, you take along a friend, you can easily add a trolling motor if needed.

Without doubt though in the wind, a canoe is going to be harder to handle than a kayak. On an average day though, you'll be able to keep up with just about everyone your kayaking with. I paddled my Bell Backwater, alongside guys in yaks for years and managed to keep up, except for those nasty days with strong headwinds.

The best decision is the one that's right for you, sit down and prioritize what's really important to you, camping, fishing, paddling, sight fishing, long distance paddling etc etc. and then make your choice.

Best scenario is to rent both for a weekend and use them and decide which you prefer.
"If you don't know history, then you don't know anything. You are a leaf that doesn't know it is part of a tree." - Michael Crichton
cubs83

Post by cubs83 »

Johnster wrote:Well, I'm not to sure I agree with Cubs assessment.
What's new? ;) ;) :lol:

Hell what do you know? You're getting a stink pot! ;)

Plastic is the way to go ;)
trans·plant 
–verb (used with object)
1. to remove (a plant) from one place and plant it in another.
2. to move from one place to another.
3. to bring (a family, colony, etc.) from one country, region, etc., to another for settlement; relocate.
John
Guv'ner

Post by John »

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Stinkpot-fishing.com,

Watch this space :wink:
"If you don't know history, then you don't know anything. You are a leaf that doesn't know it is part of a tree." - Michael Crichton
Hooked

Post by Hooked »

Since I've only ever owned a canoe I can't decently weigh both options, but I'll tell you I love the stability, dryness, and cargo carrying ability of my canoe. I can easily stand to cast a fly, carry more gear than I need, and stay dry in the winter.

Downside... yeah, the wind makes it a little tough some days. When my son declines to get up before daylight, I generally turn the boat around, put a 5 gallon bucket of water in the (now forward facing) stern. In all cases I use a 240 cm kayak paddle, frequently standing to pole the shallow flats.

I've had a couple of days when the weather made me wish for something that handled a bow sea better, but never been in any real danger.

I'm planning to buy a kayak this spring for solo fishing, but I'll always have a canoe!
Lou aka 'Hooked'

Now Adam's prize was open eyes
His sentence was to see
Day by day, he's worn away
Against reality
GILs_GONE_WILD

Post by GILs_GONE_WILD »

I own both. Just for the record, I can spend hours in my kayak. I can't do that in the canoe. Perhaps if I got a seatback for the canoe I'd be able to spend a little more time in it per outing.
GIL

"Only the half-mad are wholly alive." ~~~ Edward Abbey
rich

Post by rich »

I've often thought about buying a Kayak but I really like the extra room I get in a Canoe. I have comfortable swivel seats in mine also that give plenty of back support I think that is a must whatever your going to spend 5 or 6hrs in. I spend 90% of my time standing and fishing and I doubt I could do that in a kayak. I also doubt I could take 300lbs of firewood and camping gear and throw it in a Kayak not that I do that as often as I would like to.
vivian

Post by vivian »

I have both a solo canoe and a touring kayak and use both for camping and fishing. Used to have a SOT (scupper pro) for many years and had a great time with it. It was however a chore to load up on the van, got wet/cold in winter, sluggish if loaded for camping and a real pig to paddle compared to my touring kayak.

For day trips I go for the canoe 95% of the time because it only weighs 42lbs and I can bring a cooler and gear. Easy to clean and it paddles just as well as a rec kayak. I use a kayak paddle and had Wenonah install aluminum footbraces. I also use a bent shaft canoe paddle just to switch or for the times the wind is persistant from beam. In that case the solo paddle on the lee side of the canoe keeps it going in a straight line. I also added a comfy seat with back for those leasure stops.

Wind: in a true solo canoe you will notice that the hull is not that much higher than a kayak. My Wenonah Vagabond solo is 12 3/4" at center stern is 14 and bow 16 with an overall length of 14'-6" with a 28" beam.
But I generally don't fish in windy conditions and will favor lee sides or protected areas. In places like the Mosquito Lagoon this may not be possible. I will paddle in windy conditions to protected waters and the canoe is more than capable of handling small craft type stuff.

For camping trips in the gulf when going out with my friends in their long touring kayaks I can't keep up with them in the Vagabond but there are really well designed solo canoes that just might. I don't think however, that they would be good for fishing as they are more performance oriented.

The guy that writes the evergladesdiary.com site paddles a mohawk 15' solo odyssey and he has made a spray deck for his canoe for his gulf trips and into florida bay. He is however a much better paddler than I so just to say the canoe is very versatile for florida paddling.