Yes
81%
No
19%

Total votes: 27

Vlap

Trolling baits....

Post by Vlap »

after reading the post about the gulp shrimp catching fish while sitting in the rod holder that raises the question for me " how effective is trolling lures from yaks and what lure do people like to troll???"

last sunday when i was out in palma sola bay i was paddling across some open water and for s**** and giggles i tossed a doa shrimp out behind me...
i ended up catching 2 lady fish and making a long boring paddle a little more fun...

lets hear some thoughts!! 8)
"It's always an adventure! " Cooknfish.
justabucup

Post by justabucup »

What I troll depends greatly on conditions.

Where I am trolling

what is the depth like in that area

How much grass is floating.

Generally I lkie trolling a small pins minnow when I am over a grass bad in 2 to 3 foot of water.

When I am going more open water I prefer a jig with either a paddle or twist tail. I tend to catch more ladyfish and jacks in the deeper water and I hate messing around with trble hooks when I am out in deeper water.

A spoon is also good but beware of grass getting on a swivel you will have the most twisted line that makes for unbelievable power pro moments.
Credo quia absurdum
RockinNReelin

Post by RockinNReelin »

I trolled a DOA terror eyez during the DOA tournament and caught the trout portion of the slam that way. It helped me place third in the tournament. The only problem I've had with trolling is that I forget to reel it in when I stop and I end up hooking the rod when I cast. :oops:
~Sharon~
Never lie to someone you trust, Never trust someone who lies to you.
flatsprowler15

Post by flatsprowler15 »

This may sound ridiculous, but is it noticeable when you have a fish on? Personally I become somewhat consumed (determined) with paddling.
cubs83

Post by cubs83 »

You can feel it usually...I also like to set my drag lighter so my rod doesn't get yanked out of the holder...then you have an audio reference if you have a fish on.

JBC...try trolling a small Yo-Zuri 3D...I almost guarantee you more hookups! ;)
trans·plant 
–verb (used with object)
1. to remove (a plant) from one place and plant it in another.
2. to move from one place to another.
3. to bring (a family, colony, etc.) from one country, region, etc., to another for settlement; relocate.
fishfreeordie

Post by fishfreeordie »

I have had great luck with MirroLure suspending Catch2000s in yellow and blue/yellow. The trout really love em.

FishFreeOrDie
Vlap

Post by Vlap »

as for noticing if/when a fish is on.. when i caught the 2 lady fish there was the initial hit that i didnt notice so much but then the hooked fish starts to thrash around and it causes the rod to jump and thump around...first time it happened i couldnt figure out what the sound was and kept looking to see what my boat was hitting... which was confusing since i was in 3-4' of water and not close to hitting anything... also i was using a flush mount rod holder.... that may make a difference in sound...

arent the catch 2000's a twitch bait? i didnt think a twitch bait would work well just being dragged behind... but what about a cranck bait like an xrap or crystal minnow?
"It's always an adventure! " Cooknfish.
Rik

Post by Rik »

cubs83 wrote:...I also like to set my drag lighter so my rod doesn't get yanked out of the holder...then you have an audio reference if you have a fish on.
That is what I did with the Gulp Shrimp I trolled. I had the drag turned way down. As Shane said, you hear the line stripping out and don't have to worry about losing your whole set up.

The YoZuri SS minnow is another good troller. Just change the hooks out before you use it.
Over every mountain there is a path, although it may not be seen from the valley
Erick
"Mister OLC"
"Mister OLC"

Post by Erick »

I have tried it with spoons, plugs, DOA shrimp and Gulp. I have yet to even get a hit trolling. But again I prefer to fish areas that are void of life.
Don't give up. Don't ever give up.
Jim Valvano

{{>=====<}} <'))))><ing
Norm
Supporter 2007 - 2014
Supporter 2007 - 2014

http://cybermessageboard.ehost.com/paddlef/viewtopic.php?t=9

Post by Norm »

I have tried trolling several times...my one sucessful time was with the White Horny Toad. Landed a small snook, but it broke the ice for me. It can work, but you do need to be persistant with it. If I troll a DOA, Im going to use a small float with it, all the others would be either floaters or suspending twitch baits.

Norm
Obama just traded 5 Mercedes for a Slinky ....Greg Gutfeld
phishon

Post by phishon »

I have tried it with spoons, plugs, DOA shrimp and Gulp. I have yet to even get a hit trolling. But again I prefer to fish areas that are void of life.
I'm wondering if the mix between people catching during trolling and people not catching has anything to do with the rate at which one paddles. When I'm determined to get to a certain location at a certain time, I'm usually paddling a bit quick (anxiety habit, I guess). I find that I don't get any hits then.

Whenever any of you get hookups trolling, do you find that you are just sort of gliding slowly, or moving quickly?
"I yam what I yam, cuz that's what I yam!" -Popeye

Red Prowler 13
Mako

Post by Mako »

Usually I don't but if I'm fishing in a tournament I will troll lures to increase my chances of hooking up a fish while I 'm paddling to my favorite spots :wink:

...and I use plastics rigged weedless with the weighted Mustad hook.

I have caught trout most of the time, and a flounder one time when I was paddling slowly to approach a spot.
Peter
Wilderness Systems Tarpon 160