Power pro OR Tuf-line

Power pro.
68%
Tuf-line
32%

Total votes: 37

prowler13angler

Post by prowler13angler »

As myself being as smart as i am...I went fishing today from a peir in this wind, And got 2 knots with PP...What kind of crap is that?! Im pisseeed, that stuff isnt cheap. With never trying TL whenever i get eaither another reel, or money, Im going to give tuff-line a whirl.
TK

Post by TK »

The fade in PP doesn't effect its strength. I haven't tried TL yet because I love the power pro. If it is similar in quality and costs less, I will give a shot a few years from now when my power pro wears out.
"I am trying to catch tarpon, but these snook keep getting in the way!"
Erick
"Mister OLC"
"Mister OLC"

Post by Erick »

Since this has popped back up to the top. Suffix Braid....rounder, smoother, cast further, less knots and keeps its color.
vivian

Post by vivian »

Used PP for years and have had great results. Loss of color does not affect strength IMHO. Will keep an open mind and when the Pro needs changing will try Suffix and TL to compare.

Post by Guest »

WOOOOOO!!!

POWER PRO SUCKS MAN!!!!

YEAAA BRO!!!!

WOOOO!!!!

blown jdm (yup)

Post by Guest »

WOOOOOO!!!

POWER PRO SUCKS MAN!!!!

YEAAA BRO!!!!

WOOOO!!!!

blown jdm (yup)
DaveR
Supporter 2007 - 2012

Post by DaveR »

He does know how to capitalize. Wonders will never cease.
Senior Exalted Pro Staff Member of the Paddle-Fishing.com Kayak & Canoe Anglers Club

"SANCTUARY!!!"

Capitalization is the difference between helping your Uncle Jack off a horse, and helping your uncle jack off a horse.
Hooked

Post by Hooked »

Makes you miss Weezie doesn't he?
Lou aka 'Hooked'

Now Adam's prize was open eyes
His sentence was to see
Day by day, he's worn away
Against reality
Rik

Re: ...

Post by Rik »

colemarston wrote:POWER PRO SUCKS MAN!!!!
how would you know?
Over every mountain there is a path, although it may not be seen from the valley
LivelyBaits

Post by LivelyBaits »

Makes you miss Weezie doesn't he?
:shock:

and then I thought:

pee-dash-eff, "Desperate. H.W"
Phnd

Post by Phnd »

Am I missing something? These so called wind knots many of you talk about, are you sure they're not because of a loose wrap on the spool improperly peeling off 3 or 4 wraps in a clump creating the tangle?

The only time I get knots is due to loose wraps. I use twitch baits allot and have to pay close attention especially working it hard and fast.

Anyway I use Stren Super Braid for no reason other than reading about how its made seemed like the right choice. I've accidently frayed it a couple times and was pretty impressed because it didn't fall apart. The outer jacket peeled back a little and the inside strands held up through a few cast before I figured out what had happened. I re-spooled the first time, cut and re-tied the second time with no trouble. The line lays nice on the spool, never gets hung up and can't feel the knot going through the guides, so I'm good with it. I think the next time I buy a spool it will be the cheaper brands. As someone pointed out earlier, there's only a couple manufacturers and for the most part there all the same just packaged differently.
Phil
BayAreaReelService.com
Bigrob

Post by Bigrob »

I've been using power pro for several years and have no complaints. I haven't tried tuff line yet mainy due to the fact that I never see it anywhere.
Fish hard..rest when ya die!
Rik

Post by Rik »

Wind knots in the braided lines (they all do it to some extent) are caused by the line coming off the spool faster then it is going out the tip of the rod. Stray wraps on the spool accentuate the problem.

They're called wind knots because the problem happens more often in the wind. The wind blows the line off the spool and/or slows your bait down so much that tip line speed slows down. Wind is also a factor in loose wraps on the spool.

There are also the knots caused by auto closing of the bail. I rarely close the bail manually when open casting and not feathering the line at all. Auto closing will sometimes throw a loop into the spool. Might be why all of the manufacturers suggest strongly that you manually close the bail?

Question for all - when you see the loop buried under several wraps of line, how often do you try and cast it out instead of the slow hand over hand method?
Over every mountain there is a path, although it may not be seen from the valley
prowler13angler

Post by prowler13angler »

RBL wrote:
Question for all - when you see the loop buried under several wraps of line, how often do you try and cast it out instead of the slow hand over hand method?
When im still fishing, i just give it a good chuck and let the loop come out itself. But for some reason if i don't notice it and then i get home, ill get paranoid and make sure i get it out :shock:
bigrob wrote:I haven't tried tuff line yet mainy due to the fact that I never see it anywhere.
That is one of my main excuses of not using it. Just use PP because its availible at wally world for cheap :) Don't have to make a trip down to fisherman's world.
Phnd

Post by Phnd »

I appreciate that response. I've heard the term many times but never asked what it meant.

Manually closing the bail is something my dad taught me to do as a kid. Its instinctive to close the bail and pull the line taunt prior to reeling.
Phil
BayAreaReelService.com
justabucup

Post by justabucup »

Neither

If you flip the bail and try and do it slowly several wraps may come off all at once.

If you try casting it out you are almost guaranteed that this will occur.

What I do is back my drag way off and then slowly pull the line with the bail closed. this will not have several wraps coming off at one time and gives you control and tension as you get close to the problem.
Credo quia absurdum