Rods & Reels..What are your favorites and why??

Questions and answers on anything related to kayak or canoe fishing
John
Guv'ner

Post by John »

I was a died in the wool, St. Croix and Shimano fan, but I have seen the error of my ways.

I'll never recommend a built St. Croix rod again, the cork they use is very sub-standard. I have 3 Tide master rods, Their high end tackle and 2 have had the corks split down the length of the handle. This in less than two years worth of use. I have an older Bass Pros cheapo rod (it came free with a Stradic) that has lasted better.

I am really impressed with the Falcon Cenderi's, the Titanium guides are super smooth and the quality throughout the rod is excellent. i have built a few of my own rods, and as much as I like my customs, I'll take a Cenderi any day.

Being a friend of DaveR's I've heard all his bitching about the new Stradic, so I stayed away from them. I switched over to the Diawa Advantage, and boy am I glad I did, super smooth, very resilient, both have been dunked and both are still performing better than any Stradic ever did. I have two of the old style Stradics, which are 5 years old, and they work great, real work horses.

I may try out the Quantam's soon to see how they measure up, but they feel a little on the heavy side. We'll see.
"If you don't know history, then you don't know anything. You are a leaf that doesn't know it is part of a tree." - Michael Crichton
shamus
The Beaver Tickler

Post by shamus »

Rods/reels
St. Croix Tidemaster 8' medium power/fast action
stradic 4000

St. Croix Premier 7' Med heavy power/ Fast Action
Boca 30 (GREAT REEL)

Homemade 7'light power 'fast action (Rainshadow Blank)
Sedona 2000

6'6" Kmart special ( I know I know but I just like the feel of this rod)
sedona 4000

St. Croix Tidemaster Extra heavy power / extra fast action
Van Stall 150

Fenwick 7' Saltstick
Penn Slammer 560
Man I need to go shopping for some more gear :P :shock: :oops:
Rik

Post by Rik »

One more for the Quantums. I dunked a Cabo. A good 30 second or more dunk while I wasn't paying attention. Just to give one a good workout and see what it's made of, I did not rinse it with fresh while in the kayak and only gave it a regular wash off like I always do when I got home.

I have a bunch of pre-junk Stradics that are many years old and working fine. However, a solid 30 second dunk on those means a tear down when you get home. While they are good workhorse reels, they never (pre-junk or post-junk) handled salt immersion well.

The Cabo took it in stride and you can't tell the difference. I figured I'd end up buying some bearings but nothing is wrong with it.

From a user standpoint, there's not much difference between the Cabo and the Boca. Technically there is a difference but you can't really feel it when using them.

One more thing - Shimano does not list the Stradic as a salt water reel. They never tell you that when you buy them in the salt water tackle stores, though.
Over every mountain there is a path, although it may not be seen from the valley
JohnS

Post by JohnS »

vivian wrote:What do you guys suggest my new cheap reel this season should be?
The low end gray plastic Penns that look like rebranded Okumas(I don't think they are). The drag is pretty nice, but the rest of the reel is pot metal and plastic. Lightweight, and good for a year or so and that's it. For $30 they aren't too bad, my surviving one has seen 3 years use so far.
Sometimes you're ahead, sometimes you're behind. The race is long and, in the end, it's only with yourself.
FrankC

Post by FrankC »

After reading the posts on those new fancy reels with multiple ball bearings and a slew of features, I maybe should not write this, but the devil got hold of me. Those of us who fish the salt should bear in mind that freshwater fishermen outnumber us. The manufacturers can take shortcuts with fresh water reels which ruin them for us.

Up until this year, our spinning reels were French made Mitchell 300's, casting reels are Ambassadeurs, and heavy reels are Penn. Except for a new junk 300, the rest are between 10 and 25 years old. The majority of the Amb. 6000's use bronze bushings which beat ball bearings any day around salt water.

I believe the real difference is metalurgy used by Penn and Amb. The exterior of some are pretty ratty, but the guts are like new. The key is the proper lubricant and where you put the lube when cleaning. A fresh water wash and re-oiling keeps the reel working fine.

The 300's are being replaced with Penn SSg reels, as we haven't been able to find the old parts for these. The new parts are not desireable.

All my friends are graphite crazy. We have pretty much gone to Shakespeare and Fenwick glass rods. Had a couple of dolphin make junk of fairly expensive graphites for us, so we left that market pretty quick. The Shakespeare rods don't care how you treat them, and we fish a lot with inexperienced people. The guides are replaced with good ones when they need replacement which makes the rods better than when new.

The other key is to clean your reels yourself when they need it. That way you know what needs adjustment or replacement. If you dunk it, clean it inside and out. You can head off most problems by doing this. Once you get used to a particular reel, it is surprising how little time it takes to give it a good cleaning.

Frank
Vercetti

Post by Vercetti »

Another Cabo here. I actually just bought it 3 weeks ago so I haven't had a chance to abuse it too much. Had $50 gift card to bass pro so it didn't set me back too bad. As for the performance it is the smoothest reel I have ever used, it is a bit on the heavy side but that is because it is made out of solid materials, love it so far.

I have used Diawa Black/Gold series religiously for the past 4 years, had two reels both needed a major overhaul a month ago, had to retire one but the other is back in prime condition. Also have a Penn 4400 not as fond of that one, it seems to give me lots of powerpro moments and the anti-reverse breaks at least one a year.

Rods: really no preference, i now use 2 6 1/2' Ocean Masters and a 7' Penn something or rather.
- Jon
FishingDL

Post by FishingDL »

Favorite Rod - Schimano Sensilite.
My favorite rod by far over any other I have ever used. The problem is, they quit making them about 4 years ago. I have been looking for a new favorite ever since. Rods a a pretty personal thing much more so than reels. I do not like a very stiff rod. (boy did I set Buc up with that one).
I tried the Tidemaster and the cabo and they are to stiff for my taste. The Falcon Coastal is better for the feel that I like but I am still trying others out. I actually have a Shakespear Ugly Stick lite that I like a lot. It was a whopping $22 on sale at Sports Authority and it has a good feel and will take more abuse than any rod I have owned. Sometime I will find a rod that is right for me and I will buy 2 of each weight they offer but it hasn't happened yet.

Favorite reel- When this board started there were about 15 regulars. I think we all used Stradics. I don't think any of us do anymore. I have a couple of Spheros reels that are holding up very well. They don't feel super smooth even right out of the box but they are good reels. They remind me of the old Penn SS reels. I also have a lot of Okuhma Epixor reels. They are a great feeling reel but they don't hold up quite as well as the Spheros. They have come way down in price though and I believe you can get them for about $39 now. That makes them an excellent choice and if you get a year out of them you got way more use than you paid for.
Dave
-------------------------------------------------------
Is your fish dripping?

(11-01) 235 - (1-22) 215
Rik

Post by Rik »

FishingDL wrote:Favorite reel- When this board started there were about 15 regulars. I think we all used Stradics. I don't think any of us do anymore.
Oh, I think they are still being used, just not being bought anymore. It really is a shame. Shimano Stradics owned the market. Now people don't even look at them when they go in to buy another reel.

Wonder if it was the bean counters or the marketing guys that messed that up for them.
Over every mountain there is a path, although it may not be seen from the valley
uncdub13

Post by uncdub13 »

i've got a pair of stradic 4000's (new version). both of mine are still as smooth as new. i am always careful not to dunk em. after each outing i lightly spray them off w/ freshwater and give a good misting of real magic. once or twice a year they get some hot sauce grease and oil. i guess i'm just lucky. i hear all these horror stories about them and just recently my buddy's anti reverse quit workin on his. but hey, at least mine work..KNOCK ON WOOD :roll:

ryan
Gator

Post by Gator »

I have 1 Stradic 2000, and 2 Spheros (3000 and 4000). I take good care of them all and don't have any problems with them yet. The handle on the Stradic has been grinding, but that is it so far. After a trip I rinse them real good with fresh water on the outside, as well as taking the spools off and giving the inside a good rinse too. I think I'm gonna start breaking them down every month or so to prolong their use. Those of you who do this, what do you do? I mean how anal do you get? Take everything apart and give it a toothbrush scrub and oil?

As for rods. I have 1 Redbone 7" ML, 1 Redbone MH, and 1 Falcon Coastal M popper. I like them all but the Med. Falcon seems to be a little more flimsy than the Redbone ML. Only problem I have had with any of them is the guide on the tip of the Falcon broke off while fighting a 20" Redfish.

Lastly, I just purchased a 7' Redbone extra heavy rod for Tarpon this year. I have an older 6000 Shakespeare reel on it now. Just want to see how it holds up before I get a Spheros or Boca 6000 for it.
"We are the people our parents warned us about."-Jimmy Buffett
DaveR
Supporter 2007 - 2012

Post by DaveR »

I used a Redbone for Tarpon one year.
SNAP!
Senior Exalted Pro Staff Member of the Paddle-Fishing.com Kayak & Canoe Anglers Club

"SANCTUARY!!!"

Capitalization is the difference between helping your Uncle Jack off a horse, and helping your uncle jack off a horse.
Todd
PFTS Chairman
PFTS Chairman

Post by Todd »

Gator wrote:Lastly, I just purchased a 7' Redbone extra heavy rod for Tarpon this year.
Gator-I would take it back, I know three other people who had redbones break on tarpon last year. I have some of their lighter rods but their extra heavy rods for some reason have a tendency to go Snap
You know what La Quinta means in English? Behind Dennys. MarkM
Gator

Post by Gator »

What is another good Tarpon stick in the 8' range and less than $200?
"We are the people our parents warned us about."-Jimmy Buffett
Hooked

Post by Hooked »

I have a real mixed bag of gear - still a relative newbie to "serious" saltwater fishing (I think that should be an oxymoron)... Trying to slow down on the gear buying - the wife has discovered the growing forest in the garage...

3 Redbones with a Fin-nor 30, Diawa Capricorn, Epixor 40 on them
Falcon Coastal with Quantam Boca 40
Falcon Coastal with Spheros

9' 8 wt Scott STS with Orvis Battenkill 8/9 disc
8' 4 wt Diamondback with a Lamson
9' 6 wt St. Croix legend with SA

other sticks in the corner that don't see daylight much...
Lou aka 'Hooked'

Now Adam's prize was open eyes
His sentence was to see
Day by day, he's worn away
Against reality
DaveR
Supporter 2007 - 2012

Post by DaveR »

St Croix Tidemaster tsx80. 8ft 15-40 lb. Lovely! Todd is right. Take the Redbone back before you are heartbroken. Yeah they will replace it if it breaks but what good will that do out there?
Senior Exalted Pro Staff Member of the Paddle-Fishing.com Kayak & Canoe Anglers Club

"SANCTUARY!!!"

Capitalization is the difference between helping your Uncle Jack off a horse, and helping your uncle jack off a horse.
Todd
PFTS Chairman
PFTS Chairman

Post by Todd »

Gator wrote:What is another good Tarpon stick in the 8' range and less than $200?
That is a good question and one of the reasons the redbones are so popular. But after hearing of the many breaks last season I would hesitate before buying an extra heavy redbone. Anyone know an answer to Gator's question?
You know what La Quinta means in English? Behind Dennys. MarkM