Shortening the handle on a rod.

Erick
"Mister OLC"
"Mister OLC"

Shortening the handle on a rod.

Post by Erick »

Just got a Quantum Tour Edition Inshore rod. Not as high caliber as the Cabo rods that I normally use but I wanted to try something different in the rod line up. Rod is great, like the blank, the feel, the guide set up....problem is the handle is extremely long, actually almost 3 inches longer than any other rod I own. So in its current state unusable in the kayak. I have read many times about NOT taking any of the handle off a rod, messes up the balance or something to that effect. I have only built one rod, so I have only done one handle.....how difficult would it be to alter the rod handle (cork) on this rod? Does the blank come all the way down that extended length of handle? If so, what would I use to get a clean cut? Would you chop off part of the handle if it was your rod?
Don't give up. Don't ever give up.
Jim Valvano

{{>=====<}} <'))))><ing
paddlefish

Post by paddlefish »

Use a hacksaw to cut the handle off. Then you use a file to clean the cork to glue a new end cap on. There shouldn't be a problem with balance, the reel is the major balance issue. If you have the right rod/reel combo, you should be able to balance the rod and reel on one finger at the foregrip.
mauso1
Supporter 2007 - 2013

Post by mauso1 »

Erick..Once you cut off the cork Janns Netcraft has a good selection of butt caps.
http://www.jannsnetcraft.com/Items.aspx ... &disp=list
There is even one availabile that allows you to add weight if desired...I am going to put an order in with them in a few days . PM if you wish to add a butt cap to the order to save on shipping.
Senior Exalted Pro Staff Member of the Paddle-Fishing.com Kayak & Canoe Anglers Club
EbbTide

Post by EbbTide »

Erick, as stated above the task of doing a rod mod is not difficult. I have used the hacksaw method with good results. After trial and error I have found a dremel tool to be the best for me. If you have access to one with a cut off wheel its perfect for the job. Its just another idea for ya.
Mike Kyle
sfurman
Supporter 2010 - 2013

Post by sfurman »

Just reuse the original butt cap. That is what I have done. Once you cut it off carefully pry it away from the original end so that you don't tear it and glue it back on. Piece of cake.
scotty14

Erick...

Post by scotty14 »

Hey Erick-

I did the same thing yesterday to one of my Ande rods. I cut off about 4 inches. I love it now! I think the balance was unaffected since the cap was about as heavy as the section I removed. My rod blank ran all the way through the handle.

I put a butt cap on that was too fat --too large to fit into my Scotty Rod Holder :roll:

Luckily I did not use any glue--I think I will just look for a smaller one.
-Scotty-
-------------------------
<Heritage> Redfish 12 (Khaki)