Anchor Line Origame

Questions and answers on anything related to kayak or canoe fishing
RockinNReelin

Post by RockinNReelin »

Okay.... will someone explain the dog leash thingy to me. Are you attaching the leash to the anchor and using it as the line or what?? I'm SOOOO confused! :?
~Sharon~
Never lie to someone you trust, Never trust someone who lies to you.
Dirty Dave

Post by Dirty Dave »

Clip the anchor onto the end of the line coming out of the leash housing. I have tied a short section of rope with a carabiner to the end onto the handle of the leash housing, which is then clipped behind the seat of my T160.

This keeps the system out of the way, stows easy and with the whole works secured behind the seat, the system-when the line is locked-acts as a cleat.

Simple, neat and easy to use.

I will post a picture tomorrow.
RockinNReelin

Post by RockinNReelin »

Thank you thank you DD! It does sound like a neat idea. Looking forward to seeing the pics.
~Sharon~
Never lie to someone you trust, Never trust someone who lies to you.
Mako

Post by Mako »

i use the hatch behind the seat of my 120 to store the rope, and the anchor sits open on the hatch opening....the rope, of course is attached to the carabiner off the trolley system.....works for me, and there's no mess
LivelyBaits

Post by LivelyBaits »

:shock:
Last edited by LivelyBaits on Sat Jan 16, 2010 8:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
pee-dash-eff, "Desperate. H.W"
DayFisher

Post by DayFisher »

[quote="CooKnFish"]ummm... how has this thread lasted so long without thr presentation on an award? *wink wink nudge nudge*

Presentation of an award???
If I get presented a dog leash........( I'll wonder about the underlying meaning and)I'm taking the one I just bought back!!!
Thanks for the "out of the box" and innovative idea.
I love this bar..Ooops! I mean site.
Dayisher
Hauling Dead Dinosaurs for Your Vehicles Consumptive Delight to a Gas Station near You!!
DayFisher
mauso1
Supporter 2007 - 2013

Post by mauso1 »

Harbor Frieght sells the dog leash for about $7...
Senior Exalted Pro Staff Member of the Paddle-Fishing.com Kayak & Canoe Anglers Club
paddlefish

Post by paddlefish »

I had been using a yoyo rig. About a buck or so at Wal Mart, but the retractable leash sounds like the best idea. For shallow water, I just use a 5/8 solid fiberglass rod with about 4' of line attatched to the anchor trolley.
Thank you, gentlemen. Someday I will repay you, unless of course I can't find you, or if I forget.
Kingslayer

Post by Kingslayer »

Why not just bolt a cleat to side of your kayak and wrap it around the cleat? This gives you the option of still being able to use your anchor trolley and is less prone to failure and rust like the dog leash thingy?

I plan on doing this to mine because, like you, I'm tired of anchor rope spaghetti. I carry 40 feet of line because sometimes I anchor in deep water during strong tides.

I plan on drilling the side of the kayak, just below my right elbow, and bolting the cleat to the side using stainless steel screws and backing them with stainless steel fender washers bent to match the curve of the kayak and using stainless steel lock nuts.

It also makes a nice place to tie off the drift sock.
mauso1
Supporter 2007 - 2013

Post by mauso1 »

Why not just bolt a cleat to side of your kayak and wrap it around the cleat? This gives you the option of still being able to use your anchor trolley and is less prone to failure and rust like the dog leash thingy?
Exactly!!

Try this

so much better than this

So musch easier to hook up securely...simple idea but works well and does't release unless you want it to.

Now as far as line and storage..I have tried the dogleash retractables (both eventually quit retracting see my previous response... :twisted: ) So the simple solution for me was a 50ft length of paracord wrapped around a short section of pool noodle..(thanks to Neil on that one) :wink:

Run the line through the anchor trolley ..then cleat it off..store extra line on the noodle behind the seat. Best of all if ya lose the line it grabs the ring in the trolley and or floats...

OBTW...3/16 th alum rivets for attachment with some silcone to seal.
Senior Exalted Pro Staff Member of the Paddle-Fishing.com Kayak & Canoe Anglers Club
woodman

down spout

Post by woodman »

i use a hunk of down spout about 12" long and put my line and anchor in it
fish on
brokenarrowjbe

bait cast reel solution

Post by brokenarrowjbe »

I can not find the picture right now, but someone posted a kid that was using a broken rod with a bait cast reel with the line tied to the anchor. I assume he tossed it out, then reeled it in when ready and I believe he was keeping it in a rod holder just behind the seat. Old reel, 100 pound braid, right knot, no origame. very compact. The reel did not look puny. Good luck, John
brokenarrowjbe

the link

Post by brokenarrowjbe »

Fishaddict
Supporter 2013

Post by Fishaddict »

Kingfisher said: Why not just bolt a cleat to side of your kayak and wrap it around the cleat? This gives you the option of still being able to use your anchor trolley and is less prone to failure and rust like the dog leash thingy?
I use a cleat on the inside with about 25' of 3/16" line and IF I need more than that I have a hank in the front hatch to tie on but I haven't needed it as yet. Dog leash idea works only if the spring doesn't rust and they do.. I am also looking at the floating noodle idea for the line...
[b][i]Have Boat ... Will Fish[/i][/b]
fishoverboard

Post by fishoverboard »

I learned to fish with a yoyo, and that is what I use to retrieve my anchor line, they are only a coupple of bucks and dont rust (plastic)
mudfish

Post by mudfish »

fishoverboard wrote:I learned to fish with a yoyo, and that is what I use to retrieve my anchor line, they are only a coupple of bucks and dont rust (plastic)
To quote Terry W. "HUH?"
-Cisco-

"Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people."

- Eleanor Roosevelt -