Tarpon time

Rik

Tarpon time

Post by Rik »

It begins this weekend
Over every mountain there is a path, although it may not be seen from the valley
Manning
Supporter 2009 - 2013

Re: Tarpon time

Post by Manning »

Can't make it this weekend. Good luck out there. Put some fish in the air.
Being out on the water in the kayak is the prize. Catching fish is the bonus.

Steve
Rik

Post by Rik »

Yes, it began. Saw two kayakers put tarpon in the air. Neither got them alongside for the glory shot. Watched several pods swim right by my float as I anxiously waited for the giant tug that just didn't happen.

I had to settle for two large sailcats and one toothy blacktip shark.
Over every mountain there is a path, although it may not be seen from the valley
Manning
Supporter 2009 - 2013

Post by Manning »

Anyone we know jump one of those beauties?
Being out on the water in the kayak is the prize. Catching fish is the bonus.

Steve
Rik

Post by Rik »

Manning wrote:Anyone we know jump one of those beauties?
Yeah, that guy that is about 100 yards away from you right now
SPORTSFAN

Post by SPORTSFAN »

Hi Rik, If I remember correctly you guys park behind the church on 43rd on the island or thereabouts and launch from there on the beach ?
I also think you stated fish approx 150 ft outside the markers ?
If the wind ever slows and it works with my time off, I am ready !!!
Rik

Post by Rik »

SPORTSFAN wrote:Hi Rik, If I remember correctly you guys park behind the church on 43rd on the island or thereabouts
I've never launched up there. There are some that do though and maybe they'll speak up.

As far as distance from the beach, you just have to watch and see where 'the line' is. Today it may be 150 feet, tomorrow it may be 100 yards. On flat days they are very easy to see as they porpoise down the beach. And let me save you some sore muscles. Don't chase them. They are moving faster than they appear to be and at best all you do is keep up with them. You'll never get back in front of them where you need to be to make a cast.

I think I've written this at the beginning of every season - there really aren't tarpon hot spots. These fish are swimming the beaches from Naples to Cedar key. There's no need to drive an hour to a launch when you have a good beach launch 10 minutes away.

And most will be very closed mouthed about where they launch. When a guy posts a picture of the tarpon he caught after launching at Eezy Peezy Launch, the next day 20 kayaks show up. And 15 power boats.