Why I fish from a kayak

Flamingo to Big Bend
Rik

Why I fish from a kayak

Post by Rik »

Went out with a relative on his pontoon boat to give him some tips. I actually said "See those tails waving in the air? Those are redfish tails. We can't get there but that's what they look like."
Over every mountain there is a path, although it may not be seen from the valley
Flatz Komander

Re: Why I fish from a kayak

Post by Flatz Komander »

That is frustrating...seeing them, and not able to get skinny enough to catch them. Next time use the pontoon for the mothership to haul the kayaks

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk
Senior Exalted Pro Staff Member of the Paddle-Fishing.com Kayak & Canoe Anglers Club
Manning
Supporter 2009 - 2013

Post by Manning »

Gotta tell ya it has been some time since I saw a redfish from a kayak or a boat.
Being out on the water in the kayak is the prize. Catching fish is the bonus.

Steve
sfurman
Supporter 2010 - 2013

Post by sfurman »

Jump out and wade....
My posts are my opinion only.
Steve
Rik

Post by Rik »

The people I was with are not kayak people or I would have 'mothershipped".

I considered the wade thing but it was about 100 yards, the bottom was calf deep mud and there was 4 foot depth between us and the tails. I'd most likely have just spooked them off trying to get there. The 1 inch deep barrier between us and the deeper water was just insurmountable though I did ask if he'd want to try getting up some speed and sliding across it. He had some concerns about oysters against his shiny pontoons so he declined. And, no, I can't cast that far. I tried.

I became very aware of the fact that I haven't boat fished in the bay in 10 years. I really felt handicapped, especially since it was a pontoon boat. Those things are a bitch to get out and push when you get too shallow (which is how I found out about the calf deep mud).
Over every mountain there is a path, although it may not be seen from the valley
shamus
The Beaver Tickler

Post by shamus »

They are a nice Platform for a bbq and a cold beer
0 0 1
fishshooter99

Post by fishshooter99 »

In the fall a couple of years ago I was fishing Palma Sola and came around a corner where there were a couple of guys heaving lures as far as the could over an oyster bar that was blocking their entrance into a small lagoon surrounded by mangroves. I didn't pay them a lot of attention and was just paddling on by to get out of their fishing area. One of the guys on the boat called me over and asked if I thought I could get into the area in my kayak. I took one look and realized there was a school of reds absolutely destroying bait. I said "no I wouldn't feel right with you guys being here already and all", actually I said heck yea. I cruised right through a three or four foot opening in the oysters, paddled about another 150 feet and sent a Spook jr. in front of the school. One twitch and bam a nice 29" red. I caught one more before the school had enough. On the way out the guy on the boat said "I gotta' get one of those". On a side note it was really nice to see good guys that were willing to share the water. That's why I fish from a kayak,
Gary
expatriate Floridian living in the foriegn land of Georgia
blackwater88

Post by blackwater88 »

Manning wrote:Gotta tell ya it has been some time since I saw a redfish from a kayak or a boat.
Agreed!
No matter how many times I go, it's just as amazing as the first time.