Louisiana Crab Cakes and Blackened Redfish....from .........

Mark R

Louisiana Crab Cakes and Blackened Redfish....from .........

Post by Mark R »

Sadly I do not have any pics of the cooked fish or hush puppies from the Pic N Sip, they disappeared themselves too quickly. :shock:

The Blackened Redfish split in half here is one of the fillets , one half of one half. Nice fish!

Well the intention was to cook Louisianan Crab Cakes for the folks as a treat. In a 25-30knot wind that's knot gonna happen! So with some redfish left over.... We can proceed - Next day!

Blackened Redfish

*This recipe is a "clone" of "Paul Prudhomme's Blackened Redfish" put together from several "clones". It's my best guess at to how it should be. It is Really Good! (IMHO)

***Unless you have an exhaust hood over you stove that vents outside, I highly recommend you cook this outside. It will set off every smoke alarm in your house. You will notice I am cooking this on a propane burner in my back yard.

Ingredients

3 teaspoons sea salt, optional
½ teaspoon red pepper
½ teaspoon white pepper
¼ teaspoon black pepper
½ teaspoon onion powder
½ teaspoon garlic powder
¼ teaspoon dried thyme
¼ teaspoon dried basil
¼ teaspoon dried oregano
2 teaspoons paprika
8 skinless, boneless fillets redfish 1/4 pound each
1/2 cup melted butter

Preparation

1. Combine the salt, red pepper, white pepper, black pepper, thyme, basil, oregano and paprika in a small bowl.
2. Dip the fish pieces on both sides in butter. Sprinkle on both sides with the seasoned mixture.
*(I rolled the fillets in the mixture in a pan)

3. Heat a black iron skillet over high heat about five minutes or longer until it is beyond the smoking stage and starts to lighten in color on the bottom.

4. Add two or more fish pieces and pour about a teaspoon of butter on top of each piece. The butter may flame up.

Cook over high heat about a minute and a half. Turn the fish and pour another teaspoon of butter over each piece.

Cook about a minute and a half. Serve immediately. Continue until all the fillets are cooked.
(I only cooked the two, they were from 1 fillet.)

Louisiana Crab Cakes with Corn Relish
Emeril Lagasse, 2004 (from the Food Network)

*(I highly recommend you use Emeril's recipe for the Mayonnaise.)

Ingredients

1 tablespoon olive oil
1 cup chopped yellow onions
½ cup chopped celery
½ cup chopped red bell peppers
Mayonnaise, recipe follows
1 ½ cups plus 2 tablespoons dried fine bread crumbs
2 tablespoons Essence, recipe follows
1 pound jumbo lump crabmeat, picked for shells and cartilage
½ cup all-purpose flour
1 egg
½ cup whole milk
½ cup vegetable oil
Corn Relish, recipe follows

Directions

1 Heat the olive oil in a large, heavy skillet over medium-high heat. Add the onions, celery, and bell peppers, and cook, stirring, until soft, about 3 minutes. Remove from the heat and let cool.

2 Combine the mayonnaise, a little at a time, with the cooked vegetables, ½ cup plus 2 tablespoons of the bread crumbs, and 1 tablespoon of the Essence in a large bowl, and mix well. Gently fold in the crabmeat.

3 Combine the flour with 1 ½ teaspoons of the Essence in a shallow bowl and mix well.

4 Combine the remaining 1 cup of bread crumbs with the remaining 1 ½ teaspoons of Essence in another bowl.

5 Whisk 1 egg with the milk in another bowl.

Using your hands, form mini cakes with the crabmeat mixture, packing gently but firmly. Dredge each crab cake in the flour mixture, then in the egg wash, then the bread crumb mixture, shaking to remove any excess breading.
(Do not bother making cakes, the mixture is too wet. I've made it several times. Make a ball of the mixture about 2.5". Roll the ball in the flour, roll it in the egg wash, roll it in the bread crumb mix. Place the ball in the frying pan and press it into a "cake" with a spatula. It will fall apart if you try to coat it as a cake or patty.)

Heat ½ cup of vegetable oil in a large, heavy skillet over medium heat. Pan-fry the crab cakes 3 or 4 at a time until golden brown, about 4 ½ minutes per side. Drain on paper towels.

To serve, arrange the crab cakes on a platter and top each with a spoonful of the relish. Serve hot.

Emeril's ESSENCE Creole Seasoning (also referred to as Bayou Blast):

2 1/2 tablespoons paprika
2 tablespoons salt
2 tablespoons garlic powder
1 tablespoon black pepper
1 tablespoon onion powder
1 tablespoon cayenne pepper
1 tablespoon dried oregano
1 tablespoon dried thyme

Combine all ingredients thoroughly.
Yield: 2/3 cup
Recipe from "New New Orleans Cooking", by Emeril Lagasse and Jessie Tirsch
Published by William and Morrow, 1993.

Mayonnaise:

1 large egg
1 tablespoon Creole mustard, or other whole grain mustard
2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
2 teaspoons Louisiana-style hot pepper sauce, such as Crystal hot sauce
1 tablespoon Essence, recipe follows
1 cup vegetable oil

To make the mayonnaise, combine 1 egg, the Creole mustard, Worcestershire, hot sauce, and 1 tablespoon of the Essence in a food processor or blender. Process on high speed for 15 seconds. With the machine running, add 1 cup of the vegetable oil in a steady stream through the feed tube and process until it thickens.

Corn Relish:
4 teaspoons olive oil
1 1/2 cups corn kernels
1 teaspoon minced garlic
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon cayenne
1/2 cup chopped seeded tomatoes
3 tablespoons minced red onions
2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley leaves
1 1/2 teaspoons white wine vinegar
In a medium skillet, heat 1 teaspoon of the oil over medium-high heat. Add the corn and cook, stirring until starting to caramelize, about 4 minutes. Add the garlic, 1/4 teaspoon of the salt, and the cayenne and cook, stirring, until fragrant and the corn is caramelized, about 1 minute. Remove from the heat and let cool slightly.

In a bowl, combine the corn and the remaining ingredients. Adjust the seasoning, to taste. Serve warm or at room temperature.

Yield: about 1 1/2 cups
"Likes smokey old pool rooms N clear mountain mornins. Little warm puppies, children and girls of the night"?
cag215

Re: Louisiana Crab Cakes and Blackened Redfish....from .....

Post by cag215 »

Whoooooooohooo....Slap yo moma! I can't wait to try the crab cakes.
The blackened redfish makes it so hard to turn them back.

The wife brings home red and black caviar this past weekend, I'm thinking gross, why eat bait when I can have the whole fish.
"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut".
Ernest Hemingway