When do the damn mullet guys go away?

Flamingo to Big Bend
Rik

When do the damn mullet guys go away?

Post by Rik »

Last two times out in Sarasota Bay have been disrupted by mullet boats. The fish are scattered and have lockjaw from all of their activity. I found redfish - singles generally on the move - and all they'd do is take off anytime a lure got near them.

Well, all except the snook at the mouth of one creek yesterday. As I stand paddle in I saw one big Momma snook. That 40 incher we all dream about catching. The problem was I couldn't get through all the 22 inch snook to get to her. I was having one of those 'snook on every other cast' episodes which usually puts a smile on your face. This time it was maddening. I wanted that big girl!

Then the mullet boats showed up. Two boats each with 3 guys on board pushing a big school of mullet in the creek. Out of curiosity I followed them. Once they got them in the creek and then into a small bay, the cast nets came out. One guy was impressive. He threw the biggest cast net I've ever seen and pancaked it every time. He'd throw it and then hand the line off to the other two guys who would drag it in. The main guy would then pick up another one and throw it. They had quite the operation going.
Over every mountain there is a path, although it may not be seen from the valley
sfurman
Supporter 2010 - 2013

Re: When do the damn mullet guys go away?

Post by sfurman »

They are allowed to use a cast net up to 14 feet (radius). I couldn't throw that if my life depended on it. They are allowed 2 nets per boat, that is why you sometimes see the toy boat. They have every means available to do a number on the fish yet they still want more. Basically they just want it to be easy which is what the gill net would do, make it easy. Probably another month left.
My posts are my opinion only.
Steve
Vlap

Post by Vlap »

You mean like these assholes who drove back and forth, all over the flat I was fishing.
They passed within 20 feet of me. There were a lot of the jerks out there today.
Last edited by Vlap on Tue Dec 03, 2013 2:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"It's always an adventure! " Cooknfish.
Rik

Post by Rik »

Yes, just like those guys Jeff.

14 foot radius is what I guessed. That makes a 28 foot spread and he was a pro. Watched him throw it 4 times and he did a full pancake each time. He never touched a fish when the net was dragged in. I guess when you can throw the net like that, the grunts in the boat with you have to get slimed instead.
Over every mountain there is a path, although it may not be seen from the valley