Steer Creek

Flamingo to Big Bend
fishshooter99

Steer Creek

Post by fishshooter99 »

Yesterday I had the opportunity to fish a place that I suspect has been fished by many but admitted by few. The ill fated voyage began just before daylight. A friend and I were astonished by the insane amount of bait fish that were being blown up everywhere in the vacinity. First cast of the day produced a nice hit on a Super Spooky Jr topwater (oh yea its on).
After a short paddle to "the spot" three different guide boats came rolling in about 150-200 yards away. This probably wouldn't have sucked so bad if the Capt of boat "A" wouldn't have started dumping insane amounts of chum. Needless to say our redfish bite died and they were reaping them in like crazy.
Next after a not so short paddle I arrived at a spot where two channels converged with a strong out going tide. Perfect. A couple of cast.and a huge snook follows my trusty Spooky Jr to the side.of the kayak blows up on it and misses. Dang it. A couple of fellow yakers come by about this time so I decide.to leave the area for them.

One more good paddle did boat me a nice mid 20's red with a couple of spots. This guy was hanging out with a couple of his buddies in a school of 5-8 fish. I made a long cast out in front of him and he nailed it. I really thought he was going to be way over slot by the way he fought. He ran like crazy and made two passes un my kayak.

Headed back to the launch, loaded kayaks and gear and house and off to the rental house. Upon unloading I was ready to rinse my rods but they were nowhere to be seen. I left them on the sea wall next to the launch site. The thought of around $1000 worth of rods and reels left unattented brought about my best ever Nascar alter ego. Thirty minutes later I found them right where I left them.

In the end I named this place Steer Creek because ofnthe.emasculated feeling it left me with.
Gary
expatriate Floridian living in the foriegn land of Georgia
1okbyme2

Re: Steer Creek

Post by 1okbyme2 »

What, No photos with the mangroves photoshopped out?
Nice gettin' your gear back. :)
"They paved paradise and put up a parking lot" Joni Mitchell
fishshooter99

Re: Steer Creek

Post by fishshooter99 »

I had a little redemption today. Went back to the same place, launched at sunrise, caught three reds and a jack and was back at the launch site by 10:00. Didn't even leave my stuff behind this time.

As far as.photoshoped mangroves......I will confirm there were some mangroves somewherenin the vacinity.
Gary
expatriate Floridian living in the foriegn land of Georgia