New To Saltwater Fishing!!

Have rigging questions or a good idea? Found a good fishing product? Tell us about it.
hector_750

New To Saltwater Fishing!!

Post by hector_750 »

Hi Im new to Saltwater fishing and not really sure of what are some of the basic things i Should stock my tackle box with, Really targeting Snook and redfish, A tarpon would be nice too though. Im also going to need some advice on rod and reel setups, would like to stay around $150ish ea. I just bought a new Penn Battle 4000 combo.. but not to crazy about it after only one use...idk. Anyway just a few things I need help with also would be hook size and type to stock the TB. I've only been out 3 times on my kayak(which is a new experience for me also) but all 3X were at or around Ft. desoto. Hopefully I can tag along with some of you guys to learn something.. Thanks in Advance!

Hector!
SnookBait

Re: New To Saltwater Fishing!!

Post by SnookBait »

Welcome to the forum its a great site and full of helpful info.
jbdba01
Mr. Fishing Reports
Mr. Fishing Reports

Re: New To Saltwater Fishing!!

Post by jbdba01 »

hector_750 wrote:Hi Im new to Saltwater fishing and not really sure of what are some of the basic things i Should stock my tackle box with, Really targeting Snook and redfish, A tarpon would be nice too though. Im also going to need some advice on rod and reel setups, would like to stay around $150ish ea. I just bought a new Penn Battle 4000 combo.. but not to crazy about it after only one use...idk. Anyway just a few things I need help with also would be hook size and type to stock the TB. I've only been out 3 times on my kayak(which is a new experience for me also) but all 3X were at or around Ft. desoto. Hopefully I can tag along with some of you guys to learn something.. Thanks in Advance!

Hector!

A 4000 series reel seems a bit heavy for reds, trout, and all but the biggest snook. I use a 2000 series reel (penn battle or sabalo) with a mojo inshore or wrights mcgill 7'6" fast action. When on sale you be at the $150-160 range at Dicks Sporting Goods. Pair that up with 15-20# Ohero braid, and 10-20# seaguar fluro.

Most folks (but not all) use artificials on this forum.

My goto lures

- riptide paddle tail (root beer/white) online ; or Zman new penny (these are a bit more expensive but last longer) Dicks Sporting
- riptide flats chub (red and gold) online; Exude Jerk Baits (green/white for summer, gold year around) Dicks Sporting
- mirrolure mirrodine - greenback Walmart or Dicks Sporting
- Johnson gold spoon 1/4 oz - treble hook or weedless
- Zara Spook Jr Bone or Badonkadonk White - Walmart if you're lucky

That cover top, middle, and bottom columns of the water.

To start if I were to only have one thing to throw it's that gold spoon - it'll catch just about anything.

Fish when the water is moving.

Other than that it's about time on the water and school of hard knocks. This forum will speed up the learning curve.

Tarpon is a total different ball game...read here. Unless seeking resident fish the season is practically over.
JB