DIY - Lure wrap/prophylactic

Have rigging questions or a good idea? Found a good fishing product? Tell us about it.
jbdba01
Mr. Fishing Reports
Mr. Fishing Reports

DIY - Lure wrap/prophylactic

Post by jbdba01 »

For the billionth time I have managed to get all my lures and rods hung up together when taking them out of the car/truck.

After asking the all knowing google I found some lure wraps for about $6-15 each - throw in some postage and I was at $20-25. Frankly I thought was a bit steep for piece of velcro and some material. Anyway I found an article and expanded on it.

Some of the stuff I already had - wire organizers/velcro ties, and some epoxy (I ended up upgrading to some adhesive glue at the fabric store). Total cost $12 - which included some clear vinyl (more on that later). $6 was the glue.

The entire article is here- so I'm not going to rewrite it, but the pics give the idea.

This is what I wanted to emulate:

Here are my materials and a finished product...

I went with 1/4 yard of each material at Joann's Fabric. That's make about 10-12 wraps. I think the car headliner was about $3.

Start with the wife's china - about a 7" bowl for tracing... And of course there has to be some drama for the project.

She was like "What are you up to now?"
"I'm hungry, go make me a sandwich."
"You're such a chauvinistic pig sometimes."
"You know what's worse than a chauvinistic pig?"
"What?"
"A woman who won't listen."

Now that there's some quiet - use those kindergarden skills for making a fancy circle and cut it out

Take one of those fancy velcro straps and glue it on using the fabric adhesive.

Let it dry for a bit and then wrap your lures - it says 24 hours, but I went with 2.

Getting fancy with the clear stuff (16 gauge clear vinyl) . That way I can see the lure on the rod. Frankly the car header liner stuff works better. It's more pliable.

I plan on leaving the wraps in the truck when I take the rods out. I've no idea how long that glue will last, but you could ask your wife to sew it for you. Course that assumes she's talking to you.

Use the saved money to buy a case of beer or flowers - your choice.
JB
mauso1
Supporter 2007 - 2013

Re: DIY - Lure wrap/prophylactic

Post by mauso1 »

Nice job :thumbright: BUT...did you get the usual "what the hell do you want with that stuff" from the fems at JoAnns ?
Senior Exalted Pro Staff Member of the Paddle-Fishing.com Kayak & Canoe Anglers Club
Buda

Post by Buda »

I bought a pack of three of the red Lindy wrap in the picture for $10 at TFO.
jbdba01
Mr. Fishing Reports
Mr. Fishing Reports

Post by jbdba01 »

Not exactly around the corner for me. At $3 each that's the ticket - I probably should have bundled them up with something I mail order.
JB
1okbyme2

Post by 1okbyme2 »

probably could make one out of a plastic water bottle...
cut slot in side of bottle & slip over line...
"They paved paradise and put up a parking lot" Joni Mitchell
Swamprider

Post by Swamprider »

Plastic water bottles. Cut the bottom of a plastic waterbottle, cut the top off at the right point to slide over all but the guide where your hook your lure. Slide the bottle over the guides to cover the lure. No snags, help the planet and its - FREE!
2b1 Ask one
jbdba01
Mr. Fishing Reports
Mr. Fishing Reports

Post by jbdba01 »

You know when I first made these I figured I would just toss 'em. It was one more thing to do when you get to the site. After a while though I found myself using them every trip. So much so that I've lost about 3 of them. They're dirt cheap to make so I'll make more.

I use them a bunch on the stinkpot as well - my main issue being leader chaffing when under power. With a fast action tip the weights rub the line against the guides and given enough time they show wear. Anyway...I like 'em enough to make more.
JB