Palmetto/ Manetee river

Flamingo to Big Bend
Tarpon hunter

Palmetto/ Manetee river

Post by Tarpon hunter »

Headed to Palmetto and staying on the Manetee river to paddle and fish for a long weekend. Looks like we will need to find some wind shelter. I have paddled Emerson point but that looks like it might be out with the big winds.

Any recommendations to on spots to escape the wind and still catch some fish!?
Todd
PFTS Chairman
PFTS Chairman

Re: Palmetto/ Manetee river

Post by Todd »

Never fished that area specifically but nearby, short drive, there are a lot of launches that you could use depending on which way the wind is blowing.
You know what La Quinta means in English? Behind Dennys. MarkM
RennieRae

Post by RennieRae »

Tarpon hunter wrote:
Any recommendations to on spots to escape the wind and still catch some fish!?

Put in at the Ft. Hamer ramp in Parrish and fish up river from there. Plenty of fish to be found.

Another option would be the mouth of the Braden River and up in that area. There is a boat ramp on SR 64 at the base (south side) of the bridge over the Braden.

Good luck. Sorry for the wind but remember that the fish won't care about it! :thumbright:

Bob
Heywood

Post by Heywood »

Did someone really say look to another forum for information? :lol: :lol: Thats too funny.

You'll have an incoming tide all morning, pick a shecluded shoreline (one of the many little side bays off the river) and look for fish to be pushing up along the banks. As the tide picks up, look for points along the river, ambush spots, these will be holding fish. Good luck.

Cow Creek is not a place, but a state of mind. :cool:
"Anytime I shag a buddies wife I always cut the lawn when I'm done " ~ The Leg End ~
mauso1
Supporter 2007 - 2013

Post by mauso1 »

Did someone really say look to another forum for information? Thats too funny.

Not quite but I did suggest
1. There are NO fish in Palmetto and
2. look at destinations page
Senior Exalted Pro Staff Member of the Paddle-Fishing.com Kayak & Canoe Anglers Club
TheJoe

Post by TheJoe »

I fish this area all the time. If your looking to fish the river I would try the mouth of the river on the south side just after the marina and before Robinson Preserve. This area has put some fish in the boat the last two weeks. It is a good area with a south wind.

Another area to try is south Palma Solo Bay . Launch is off of Palma solo Rd. Just before cortez.my son Pulled out a 25" Red Last week with some nice trout... It is also a good area for snook... Only good with a south wind.

For a north wind I would launch from Perico Bay and fish south along the mangroves to the west.. Holding a lot of reds this last week.

Good Luck

Joe
Tarpon hunter

Post by Tarpon hunter »

Alright reporting back, thanks for the tips the wind was a big issue but we tried to manage... The first day we launched at williams bayou. It looked to be secluded enough from the wind and was real close to the house. We were able to catch some nice trout at the mouth and my buddy landed a monster ladyfish. It was a great fight. I also hooked a huge red, easily 30" in about 10" of water. After he made a great run the hook came unbuttoned.. On Friday we fished Fort Desoto, that place is huge and a little intimidating for new water. Again we caught trout, a lizard fish and a nice sail cat. No reds or snook..

Saturday we went back to Williams bayou/Joe Island. There was a TON of boat traffic. We caught trout, ladys and one small red. The reds were everywhere on the flats! Of course I found a huge school against the wind blown mangroves. I couldn't even slow down to keep from running over them. I scattered the whole school before I could even pick up the paddle.. Heartbraking! The wind was horrendous! We launched at the rest area which was a bad idea on the paddle back.. It took about 2 hours just to get back to the truck.

It was a tough trip as far as conditions and we were not successful with the reds and snook. We did succeed in learning beautiful new water. I am not sure I will be making a trip again during a windy March!
Blindmullet

Post by Blindmullet »

Fort Hammer boat ramp.
Team Pro Bass "Fishing Legendz"
Rik

Post by Rik »

Blindmullet wrote:Fort Hammer boat ramp.
Hamer, Fort Hamer.
Over every mountain there is a path, although it may not be seen from the valley