Walk and Chew Gum......

JoeS

Walk and Chew Gum......

Post by JoeS »

I have been working on my "Double Haul" and now realize 'I can't Walk and Chew Gum"....never mind "Rub my Belly and Pat my Head"..... :shock: :? :D :D
"I want to help the helpless, but I don't give a damn about the clueless anymore!
dunfly

Re: Walk and Chew Gum......

Post by dunfly »

It's really a matter of timing. I would start with a single haul on the forecast to get the timing right. It is hard to describe in words, you almost have to get with someone to show you. It's not really complicated.

“You don’t ever want a crisis to go to waste....” — Rahm Emanuel
"Freedom!" - Sir William Wallace
Who is John Galt?
Rik

Post by Rik »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d8idd4kgXY4" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Over every mountain there is a path, although it may not be seen from the valley
JoeS

Post by JoeS »

Bob I don't have much trouble with the Backcast....it's the Forecast that I want to haul too late.......Rik I have been looking at videos but until you actually practice the DH it is different....I like April Volkeys videos she does a good lesson on Double Haul.........I am going to start working with Chris Dakin on the Double Haul, Chris is certified Fly Instructor and has promised to help me......On another note I have been playing golf 6 days a week and believe it or not the Timing of both Fly Casting and the golf swing are kinda similar......
"I want to help the helpless, but I don't give a damn about the clueless anymore!
Rik

Post by Rik »

Yeah, I like April Volkey's videos also...
Over every mountain there is a path, although it may not be seen from the valley
Todd
PFTS Chairman
PFTS Chairman

Post by Todd »

Give me a free golf lesson and I will gladly stand by and tell you what you are doing wrong while fly casting. Granted I have little experience but I did stay at a Holiday Inn once. :lol:
You know what La Quinta means in English? Behind Dennys. MarkM
mauso1
Supporter 2007 - 2013

Post by mauso1 »

http://www.sexyloops.com/flycasting/contents.shtml" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Some very good content
Senior Exalted Pro Staff Member of the Paddle-Fishing.com Kayak & Canoe Anglers Club
EZYLYF
King of Broken Fly Rods

Post by EZYLYF »

"Tampa Bay On The Fly" is having a Casting Clinic on Saturday, March 30th @ Picnic Island, Tampa. $15 cost. You will get plenty of DH casting instruction from a Master Casting Instructor.

Tampa Bay On The Fly
4203 W El Prado Blvd.
Tampa, Fl. 33629
813-443-0660

Enver - Owner
Mike Hodge

Post by Mike Hodge »

Joe:
Joan Wulff's DH drill on the grass. Pretty common drill. It works.

http://midcurrent.com/videos/joan-wulff ... uble-haul/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Pirogue

Post by Pirogue »

In my opinion, Mel Kreiger is the best fly casting instructor- ever.

Downup--one word, downup

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zcE-9WPuZ04" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
1 3 12 120 3000
Rik

Post by Rik »

April Volkey is much easier to look at.
Mike Hodge

Post by Mike Hodge »

speed of the haul hand vs. speed of the rod hand.

I fell into the trap of thinking more acceleration with the rod hand was the key. Actually, it's the opposite. The haul hand is the key to line speed.

Both these vids address this. You're actually a little more aggressive with the line hand than the rod hand, IMO.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zgk19pNEoZQ" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Lefty goes over this pretty well.

Low elbow, long stroke, sharp tugs with the line hand speed up the line. Watch how the first guy in the Charleston vid snaps his haul hand. Lefty does the same on his second haul.

Good stuff, IMO.
JoeS

Post by JoeS »

Good Stuff Mike.....I also like Chris Myers Vid on Side-arm Flats casting....especially the ability to land the fly on the back cast using the side-arm method......
Evan

Post by Evan »

JoeS wrote:On another note I have been playing golf 6 days a week......
Sounds like the main issue is just a conflict of priorities. Although I bet your golf swing is getting really good! Just imagine if you spent 6 days a week flycasting...
Everyone is entitled to my opinion
JoeS

Post by JoeS »

Evan wrote:
JoeS wrote:On another note I have been playing golf 6 days a week......
Sounds like the main issue is just a conflict of priorities. Although I bet your golf swing is getting really good! Just imagine if you spent 6 days a week flycasting...
Your right Evan.....my golf swing is pretty tight but now it's time to get back to fly fishing after a 6month hiatus......I have been practicing everyday now........Mike Hodge and I talk almost every day and he has me motivated and on track........
mauso1
Supporter 2007 - 2013

Post by mauso1 »

One more technique:
From Chris Myrers over on the east coast
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aQtjJ8LjNk0" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

(shameless plug) Obtw if you ever go stinkpotting on the IRL Chris is a great guide Dayfisher and I used him
Senior Exalted Pro Staff Member of the Paddle-Fishing.com Kayak & Canoe Anglers Club