Palma Sola Bay 2-10-13

Flamingo to Big Bend
Pip

Palma Sola Bay 2-10-13

Post by Pip »

I WAS headed to Ft. Desoto to fish with a buddy who lives in St. Pete, but he cancelled on me so I wanted to try a new destination. I went south to Bradenton to fish Palma Sola Bay. It was WINDY!! All I could really do was drift and throw a gold spoon.

I caught 2 reds which are officially #2 and 3 of the total reds I've caught in my lifetime.

WHOHOO!!
Jackson Kayak Fishing Team
Orion Coolers
Bending Branches
yakanglr

Re: Palma Sola Bay 2-10-13

Post by yakanglr »

Awesome Redfish..., I tried for some in January, but no luck for me. How do you like that Jackson Kayak? What model is it? I have a Cuda on my radar screen.

Thanks,
Tom
Aquidneck Island Striper Team
2010 AIST Most Improved Angler
2012 AIST Striped Bass of the Year
Skull and Bones Fishing Club
Pip

Post by Pip »

Thanks. The kayak is a Cuda 12. It's been a great platform so far...just need to figure out a better cooler situation. I fish a lot of inland rivers too so it's perfect for what I do...good balance of speed and maneuverability. IMO, the seat is the best...you can fish all day in comfort (and I'm coming from a Hobie PA). I fished for hours in the seated position with a Kokotat PFD on and just had to stand a stretch (relieve myself) a couple of times. Its nice to know you can comfortably stand, stretch, and get back to fishing with fear of falling over.
Orion Coolers
Bending Branches
sfcscott

Post by sfcscott »

As far as cooler, take a look at the Coleman party stacker cooler. It fits perfectly in the tank well and is low profile. I have one and absolutely love it.
Scott
Rik

Post by Rik »

Or consider a Polar Bear cooler. See the thread in the Read This section. Great coolers and long time supporters of the site and our tourney series.

They make them in several sizes and keep ice all day long.

If you're looking for a fish cooler, the $10 cooler bag at Sams will hold a 27 inch redfish and, for that price, you won't mind that it gets stinky. Fits inside most hatches also.
Over every mountain there is a path, although it may not be seen from the valley

Post by 13 »

I was really eyeing the Cuda too, but after taking them both for a test ride, I went with the Big Tuna instead. Been out 4 times with it now. Went to this from my 2nd Tarpon 140. The Cuda was nice, but I am not a fan of having a huge box in the middle of where my feet go. I also bought an additional live well so when I am not using it for bait, I can still load things in it (including the cooler they sell that fits perfectly into its place). Was out in the bay yesterday, standing up a majority of the time in 15-20 winds. The seat is nothing short of incredible. Couldn't be happier with the Tuna though.
Tarpon hunter

Post by Tarpon hunter »

13 wrote:I was really eyeing the Cuda too, but after taking them both for a test ride, I went with the Big Tuna instead. Been out 4 times with it now. Went to this from my 2nd Tarpon 140. The Cuda was nice, but I am not a fan of having a huge box in the middle of where my feet go. I also bought an additional live well so when I am not using it for bait, I can still load things in it (including the cooler they sell that fits perfectly into its place). Was out in the bay yesterday, standing up a majority of the time in 15-20 winds. The seat is nothing short of incredible. Couldn't be happier with the Tuna though.
I went with the Tuna as well. It felt much more stable than the Cuda. I also cant wait to try some bait in the Tuna tank. We are heading down to Palmetto Wednesday for 4 days of paddling! :sunny:

Post by 13 »

Used my live well for the first time this past week. Kept shrimp alive just fine for the whole day & kept a red alive for at least 4 or 5 hours. Really want to add a rod holder somewhere but don't want rush into it. Want to make sure I get it right the first time. Like the anchor system, but again, no cleat to tie off on. Have been using the side handle to tie it off. Works good enough. Gotta get a drift sack before tarpon season tho
Tarpon hunter

Post by Tarpon hunter »

13 wrote:Used my live well for the first time this past week. Kept shrimp alive just fine for the whole day & kept a red alive for at least 4 or 5 hours. Really want to add a rod holder somewhere but don't want rush into it. Want to make sure I get it right the first time. Like the anchor system, but again, no cleat to tie off on. Have been using the side handle to tie it off. Works good enough. Gotta get a drift sack before tarpon season tho
I have a Yakattack strip and a mighty mount. I havent figured out the best spot to mount my ram tubes yet. I am going to mount some more mighty mounts so I can be versatile for single and tandem.

I am actually going to take it to Hook 1 tomorrow and let Chad work on it since I am in middle TN. :thumbright:
RennieRae

Post by RennieRae »

Pip wrote:I caught 2 reds which are officially #2 and 3 of the total reds I've caught in my lifetime.
Nice fish Pip. Palma Sola can be fantastic in the springtime. Lots of snook there also.

If you don't mind me asking, where did you get your measuring device? It looks great and shows up well in the photo.

I am thinking of participating in the PFTS#3, but need a measuring device that will work well (also for the CapMel classic this weekend).

Thanks for any help you can provide.

Bob
Pip

Post by Pip »

RennieRae wrote:
Pip wrote:I caught 2 reds which are officially #2 and 3 of the total reds I've caught in my lifetime.
Nice fish Pip. Palma Sola can be fantastic in the springtime. Lots of snook there also.

If you don't mind me asking, where did you get your measuring device? It looks great and shows up well in the photo.

I am thinking of participating in the PFTS#3, but need a measuring device that will work well (also for the CapMel classic this weekend).

Thanks for any help you can provide.
I got it from yakangler.com. Check it out...it's another great kayak angler resource. A lot of guys here are on it too.

http://www.yakangler.com/store" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Orion Coolers
Bending Branches
RennieRae

Post by RennieRae »

Thanks! Will do.

Bob