Flamingo

Naples to West Palm and south, including the Keys
gks0409

Flamingo

Post by gks0409 »

Takin a trrip down to Flamingo the first week of March. Anybody have some suggestions or tips on where to fish and where to aviod. Want to try back water on day and Snake Bight the other weather and wind permitting. Just wondering about places to launch the yaks or if you are just restricted to launching at the campground.. Thanks for any help. Gonna post this in the "General "section as well
TRKpoker

Re: Flamingo

Post by TRKpoker »

I will run down there with you on that Sat. if you like. Been to Flamingo several times now and I have a reasonable feel for it.
Hillbilly
Supporter 2011 - 2014
Supporter 2011 - 2014

Post by Hillbilly »

Camground launches are a short walk from parking, Marina launch has plenty of parking but boat traffic (Snake Bight is a poling zone with channels), Coot Bay pond (1/2 mile mangrove trail leading into Coot Bay) and Hells Bay Trail (mangrove trail to Lard Can) are side of the road parking (they seem to be safe)

Just the ones I know about, Local knowledge would be very helpful!
Tempted and Tried by a Fine pair of Legs
Likewise Enticed by Over Easy Eggs
gks0409

Post by gks0409 »

Thanks trk will let you know should have a bunch of first timers with me as well just a heads up. Hillbilly thought I saw somewhere the coot bay is a no fishing zone
TRKpoker

Post by TRKpoker »

Let me know as soon as you know the date so I can set it up down here. Also so I know I have the date open.
Hillbilly
Supporter 2011 - 2014
Supporter 2011 - 2014

Post by Hillbilly »

Coot Bay Pond is a No Fishing Zone, and very shallow, once you are into Coot Bay fishing is allowed.

Coot Bay Pond is more a bird sanctuary, but has a launch area next to the main road.
Tempted and Tried by a Fine pair of Legs
Likewise Enticed by Over Easy Eggs
gks0409

Post by gks0409 »

Thanks hillbilly
TK

Post by TK »

If you are going to Coot Bay via Coot Pond, bring a hand saw. They occassionally come in handy. Lots of shore line for you to fish in Coot Bay. If you are feeling really strong, you can paddle into Mud Lake, but I would not reccomend that for beginners. You could also hit West Lake, but no clue what fishing will be like there in March. Was there in Sept and caught a bunch of fish. With Snake Bight being Pole and Troll only now, you should do well there as long as the wind cooperates.
"I am trying to catch tarpon, but these snook keep getting in the way!"
TRKpoker

Post by TRKpoker »

Snake bight was very good a few months ago. Went back and the reds were there but not moving. By the time we saw them they saw us. Still picked up a 1/2 dozen slot reds, 2 snook (lost a big lady), and a few handfuls of trash fish.

If I was going for one day I would fish snake bight. Most all of it is a no motor zone and very skinny water. Low fishing pressure.