The hex

DaveR
Supporter 2007 - 2012

The hex

Post by DaveR »

A rare winter day when the tide will be right. The wind will be right. There's even a half assed major solunar thrown in. Probably adds up to me catching shit but I sure will try. Stay tuned for artsy pictures that don't include redfish.
Senior Exalted Pro Staff Member of the Paddle-Fishing.com Kayak & Canoe Anglers Club

"SANCTUARY!!!"

Capitalization is the difference between helping your Uncle Jack off a horse, and helping your uncle jack off a horse.
DaveR
Supporter 2007 - 2012

Re: The hex

Post by DaveR »

Had only one shot with the fly but conditions were perfect.
This fella was doing a bit of wallowing. One cast. One take. First red on the new 5wt. Six pound tippet. Took some doing but he came in for a photo.
Cheated with this girl. Up a tiny creek and saw 6 or 7 28-30 inchers coming right at me. Flipped a jig and one ate as soon as it hit the water. Sorry Pete!
Spent a good deal of time looking for more but they were hunkered down. They saw me before I saw them.
Senior Exalted Pro Staff Member of the Paddle-Fishing.com Kayak & Canoe Anglers Club

"SANCTUARY!!!"

Capitalization is the difference between helping your Uncle Jack off a horse, and helping your uncle jack off a horse.
EZYLYF
King of Broken Fly Rods

Post by EZYLYF »

I'm jealous!
GILs_GONE_WILD

Post by GILs_GONE_WILD »

EZYLYF wrote:I'm jealous!
X2 :)
GIL

"Only the half-mad are wholly alive." ~~~ Edward Abbey
mauso1
Supporter 2007 - 2013

Post by mauso1 »

very artsy..
BearsFan
Egotistical Prick

Post by BearsFan »

Haha! The place where you donate all of your non-fly gear is at the end of a long road. At the end of that road is where the journey truly begins. I believe you are on the right road.

"You think you have problems now? Follow your instincts, it will get worse" -Hatch
Hillbilly
Supporter 2011 - 2014
Supporter 2011 - 2014

Post by Hillbilly »

Congrats! I took my Fly Rods to Flamingo over the weekend and was greeted with 20 - 30 mph Winds. Got one small Jack, and I think he felt sorry for the ole man!

Nice Reds on a 5wt! Bet it was great fun!
Tempted and Tried by a Fine pair of Legs
Likewise Enticed by Over Easy Eggs
DaveR
Supporter 2007 - 2012

Post by DaveR »

Gave up Flamingo in the winter. The fishing is ok but not fantastic and there always seems to be wind. If you tolerate the heat and bugs it's off the charts in the summer.

"SANCTUARY!!!"

Mike Hodge

Post by Mike Hodge »

Outstanding. You did well to get out when you did. Looks like we'll have good tides this weekend, but the wind will be blowin' pretty hard for the long rod.
Hillbilly
Supporter 2011 - 2014
Supporter 2011 - 2014

Post by Hillbilly »

Guess I should have asked around about winter time in Flamingo, but alas Work (that four letter word) will have me in Delaware for most of the Spring, Summer and Fall!

No worries, great Solunar times for the weekend even if the wind is blowing!
Tempted and Tried by a Fine pair of Legs
Likewise Enticed by Over Easy Eggs
airwinger63

Post by airwinger63 »

Afternoon,

Was in Flamingo last week on a guided kayay tour in the back country, 2 nights at Lard Can and 1 at Pearl Bay, way too windy at LC and the chickatee's overhang was a problem for me, new to fly fishing, ended up using spinning gear caught 2 reds, 1 at each location. Tried the fly gear (NXT 8/9) on the beach at NPS Falmingo with no luck. What is normally the best time to go to Flamingo (wind/heat/fish)? I'll be going on my own next year and just staying at the campgrounds and fishing the Buttonwood canal and the Florida Bay.

Airwinger63
Native Manta Ray 14.5
DaveR
Supporter 2007 - 2012

Post by DaveR »

I'm not an expert but my best trips down there have been in the summer/fall. Last September was my best trip ever. If you are staying at the campground hope you have an rv. The Mosquitos safe indescribably bad at certain times of the year. I can't stress this enough.

"SANCTUARY!!!"

airwinger63

Post by airwinger63 »

Afternoon,

Thanks, sorry no RV, SUV and and bug spray will have to do. Plan on splitting my time between the canal and Florida bay next trip, I had a blast a week ago.

V/R

Airwinger63
Native Manta Ray 14.5
DaveR
Supporter 2007 - 2012

Post by DaveR »

If you insist on camping there during the wet months at least put me in your will.

"SANCTUARY!!!"