My first yak project

If you use one that is listed, please add a review. If a kayak or canoe that you would like to give a review of is not listed, please add it. This is also where you can show off your boat.
yak_atk_tommy

My first yak project

Post by yak_atk_tommy »

Ok so a friend of mine is keeping his yak at my house and is letting me use it, it is a perception sport not sure which model. I plan to be doing the normal stuff like adding a crate and anchor trolly, can't really put any holes in the boat yet. I will be updating as I project moves along I should have a crate this week as well as the anchor trolly set up . My plans are to def get a fish finder and light for night time operations. Any tips comments or experience with this boat are welcome! I will have pics up tonight sometime when I get home. Ty.
Just keep paddling
krash
Supporter 2010 - 2014
Supporter 2010 - 2014

Re: My first KAYAK project

Post by krash »

I have a ScupperPro, bought it used and had it for 5 years now.. I have still not drilled the first hole in it.

I made a crate, added 3 hole set rocket launcher rod holder to the crate. Made a Stakeout pole from PVC 6 years ago and its still going strong.. made use of current deck loops adding bungie I can strap the stakeout pole and also my paddle to on each side for storage when not in use.
The crate is bungied down in the tank well behind me
In the crate I carry everything I need, couple plano plastic boxes for lures and hooks, couple plastic bags of soft plastics, a plastic jar with secure lid for dry storage of my wallet/cell/keys, and a 1 gallon thermos of water. If its a long day I bring a samich or snacks in ziplock bags. The tripple rod holder holds my 2 rods, I only take 3 when needed, also a knife and pliers although when I launch the pliers get secured to a deck loop for easier access. You will have to experiment which side you like the stowed rods on, I use left side, as the rods are behind me in rod holders and casting if not careful, especially until you learn/realize the extra rods are there.. you will find hit them on the cast and if using braid can make quite a mess to untangle.

My kayak has a seat with a small backpack like area, keep my required safety whistle in that.

I can unload the kayak from the roof, (before my heart surgery), in 15 minutes or less. It takes like 5 minutes to unload the kayak from the roof, and another 10 to rig. Carry the seat and loaded crate in one trip, install seat with its pre-rigged straps & clips, set the crate in place and bungie/strap it down, then one more trip to the car to grab my rods, paddle, and stakeout pole, insert rods on rocket launchers, attach the paddle leash to a deck-loop, and starp the 2 bungies 1 over the paddle and one over the stakeout pole, grab the pliers and clip them to their deck-loop, and a couple packs of my daily choice of soft plastic, jump in and push off. (Unless I have to park the car, whihc adds another 30 to 60 seconds).
Senior Exalted Pro Staff Member of the Paddle-Fishing.com Kayak & Canoe Anglers Club

SW, Live to Fish, Have Tackle will travel ... >,)))~> ~~~~
yak_atk_tommy

Post by yak_atk_tommy »

That's pretty much all I'm gonna do, as well as building a scruppy cart I hope to get the crate done this week so I can go out this weekend
Just keep paddling
jbdba01
Mr. Fishing Reports
Mr. Fishing Reports

Post by jbdba01 »

I would hold off on the purchase of a fishfinder until you know what waters you're fishing. In most kayaking waters you really don't need one. That kinda assumes you're an inshore fishing guy. Now a gps...that's another story. I seldom need one, but the times I had it I was REALLY glad. Use it when fishing new waters or night fishing.

That said I do have a fishfinder/gps combo in the power boat - but that's a diff story.
JB
yak_atk_tommy

Post by yak_atk_tommy »

Yea for sure, right now I live like a block away from bullfrog creek so mostly that and deeper in the river , when I get more xp with the boat I'm gonna go off shore a little more and that's when ill be interested in one .
Just keep paddling
TRKpoker

Post by TRKpoker »

My advice would be the same as I have given several people who I fish with. Some of who have listened and some who didn't. Whatever you do don't do much. Meaning is keep it simple for awhile. Maybe several months. Get the basics but keep it basic. After several dozen outings you will have a much better feel for what you want in your ride. I have taken 8 months with my canoe and just now I THINK I know how I want it all laid out. But, the ideas I started with are not what I will be doing now. Most of my kayak buddies down here in South Florida have done it wrong and are learning this with each trip. Keeping it simple is so much better than trying to have it all. A simple crate and a simple cooler and such makes for a better fishing trip. One guy that goes with us brings 5 or 6 rods each trip. All he does is fix, mess with, or tangle stuff up. Two rods and one or two tackle boxes and you should be set.

Then again don't listen to me I have a 15' canoe and have so much room I can bring everything I own if I wanted.

I still only bring 2 rods and 3 tackle boxes.
yak_atk_tommy

Post by yak_atk_tommy »

so i got a pic finally, here it is, ill continue to update as i go, should be snaging a crate tonight and getting it all put together sunday.
Just keep paddling
yak_atk_tommy

Post by yak_atk_tommy »

Got it all done, scupper cart, built , crate done , and stake out poll. Monday morning will be my first time on the water with it rigged so I will see how it opperates. Will get pics of the boat and the trip, plan on using live shrimp and some spoons, I don't know much about jigs, so any advice would be much appreciated.
Just keep paddling
mrpj1972

Post by mrpj1972 »

Watch some of these
http://www.youtube.com/user/doalures?feature=watch" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;