flats fishing

strutzy

flats fishing

Post by strutzy »

I was wondering what they call the seagrass that is brownish color an real puffy looking. And how do you fish it? jig heads with shad tails don't seem to work too well. Are you supposed to reel it fast enough so it doesnt get caught in the weeds or jig it? Or should I switch to a weedless set up. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks Mark
Norm
Supporter 2007 - 2014
Supporter 2007 - 2014

Re: flats fishing

Post by Norm »

Not sure...a pic would help :?
Your observation confirms my many years of experience :roll:
That is a possibility :wink:
This is the direction I would go....or a top water :cool:
Obama just traded 5 Mercedes for a Slinky ....Greg Gutfeld
ChrisR
Supporter 2010 - 2014
Supporter 2010 - 2014

Post by ChrisR »

I believe you are talking about the rolling grass that we get in the winter time. I think it is actually an algae mat. The wind and tide push it around, and it collects in the depressions on the flats, and in creek beds. I use jig heads in and around them, but if you are getting caught up in it, switch to a weeldess spoon, or jerkbait. You can also use your shad tail on a weedless weighted hook like the Mustad Powerlock, or Owner Twistlock.
DaveR
Supporter 2007 - 2012

Post by DaveR »

On more than one occasion I have seen redfish hunkered down in the stuff.
Senior Exalted Pro Staff Member of the Paddle-Fishing.com Kayak & Canoe Anglers Club

"SANCTUARY!!!"

Capitalization is the difference between helping your Uncle Jack off a horse, and helping your uncle jack off a horse.
sfurman
Supporter 2010 - 2013

Post by sfurman »

Are you talking about the stuff that looks kinda like sargasum and is usually attached to rocky bottom? I've always heard it called pepper grass, not sure why.
My posts are my opinion only.
Steve
strutzy

Post by strutzy »

ChrisR, you may be right about that, an area i fish in Bradenton there are patches of it that are sometimes an acre in size. The day before I posted the subject I was fishing that area and and it was a slow tide and there was only about a foot of water covering it and i was casting a jighead and paddletail and wasnt getting hits. So everytime I picked up the anchor and drifted I would see some reds. It was frustrating, I don't know if it was my presentation or they just werent interested in feeding.
strutzy

Post by strutzy »

daveR, you're right Ive seen them with half their bodies down in that grass or whatever you call it.
TRKpoker

Post by TRKpoker »

Down south here where I live there is a lot of that thin grass. In Biscayne Bay there is large amounts of it but typically it is in with turtle grass but way south in Flamingo there is acres of it everywhere. When the water is really skinny I like tossing a rubber shrimp that is texas rigged to hold off the grass. Did really well last Sunday doing that catching 5 reds and a large assortment of other fish along with one baby hammerhead.
countryboy_ucf

Post by countryboy_ucf »

I think a weedless presentation is best for fish that won't bite in skinny water because it hits the water lighter. I would switch between a shrimp pattern and paddle tail and jig it to see if anything happens. That being said, I was in Btown last weekend and saw a LOT of reds that just wouldn't eat. Ended up with just a couple of lower slots after seeing 40+ upper slot fish. Sometimes you just can't catch them. However, don't give up on those fish or that lure, they will turn on eventually and you will want to be there when they do. Check the tides and solunars and try again at the beginning or end of a tide change.
Nick F
Hobie Revolution
"More often than not, when someone is telling me a story all I can think about is that I can't wait for them to finish so that I can tell my own
story that's not only better, but also more directly involves me."
Mark R

Post by Mark R »

Silver spoon twitched right across their nose. They lazy when it cold.
"Likes smokey old pool rooms N clear mountain mornins. Little warm puppies, children and girls of the night"?
Angler X

Post by Angler X »

I gots one word fer ya. funky chicken. Cuz them redfish shore do love them funky chickens
Heywood

Post by Heywood »

Its been my observation that in really skinny water, the reds are in a "survivor" mode. What I mean by that is, they are just sitting in a hole waiting for the water to come up. I've especially seen this on the outgoing tide. You might run across fish just sitting in slightly deeper depressions than the rest of the flats. They wont hit anything. Once the tide turns and they feel or sense the water coming back up, then they will feed.

JMO
"Anytime I shag a buddies wife I always cut the lawn when I'm done " ~ The Leg End ~
bluebill

Post by bluebill »

I fished Matlacha Pass, south today. Lots of that algae grass in patches everywhere and some large islands of it over oyster bars. The stuff shows up here every winter. I did not see any reds butI avoid paddling thru the big areas of algae grass. I caught lots of smaller trout on plastics, no large ones. Water clear - no sign of red tide on the Matlacha side of Pine Island. I spent some time answering questions for snowbird paddlers. So far, the far far northerners with the inflatable banana boats have not arrived.
Be thankful for every day and especially those fine days on the water