Aquateko’s “InvisaSwivel”

Have rigging questions or a good idea? Found a good fishing product? Tell us about it.
BigFlyReel
Supporter 2011 - 2013

Aquateko’s “InvisaSwivel”

Post by BigFlyReel »

Whether you’re trolling a lure while kayak fishing or throwing a spoon on the flats, many baits can spin in the water. Unless you have a swivel in the mix, the resulting line twist can contribute to wind knots and other issues that interrupt your angling day. Aquateko, a company based in Ponte Verde, FL, has introduced a new take on the traditional metal swivel – the “InvisaSwivel”.

Metal swivel designs run the gamut of construction, material, and price – from two pieces of twisted steel wire and a barrel, all the way through high-speed low-drag stainless steel ball bearing models. The InvisaSwivel is made of fluorocarbon – this makes it neutrally buoyant and almost invisible in water. Because of the material and design, the InvisaSwivel is self-lubricating and spins freely in the water without a metal bearing in sight. The material won’t corrode, and although the company doesn’t make this claim I believe the InvisaSwivel design will self-clear of any sand or grit that could bind ordinary barrel swivels.

According to Keith Kessler at Aquateko, the InvisaSwivel is the ideal connection between braided lines and fluorocarbon leaders. The swivel ends have small notches to maintain align the knots (Keith recommends a basic clinch knot), which prevents cocking or other knot issues. The InvisaSwivel is a perfect ingredient in the Carolina rig and other rigging options that use a swivel in the mix. Repeated contact won’t beat up and crack a plastic bead – a condition which used to cause me frequent re-rigs when bass fishing.

Even the smallest swivels can catch or bind if reeled into your guide system. The InvisaSwivel, though, won’t chip or crack your guide inserts. If you’re using them with larger offshore gear, the proper size InvisaSwivel will reel onto your spool with no issues, and should exit the guides smoothly when deploying a bait.

On the flats of Florida’s West Coast, the InvisaSwivel performed well when throwing artificials. It’s hard to actually measure line twist, but after 100 casts (yes, I counted…) with a spoon notorious for spinning on the retrieve, I didn’t encounter a single “twist knot” in my braid and the lure hung motionless after the cast instead of whirling like an overwound yo-yo. I did find that even the smallest size would not fit well through the tip guide on my lighter flats rods, but when I wanted a longer leader I just tied the InvisaSwivel in the middle of the fluoro and was good to go.

Photo courtesy Bill "Heywood" Howard

The InvisaSwivel comes in 12, 25, 35, and 55 lb. test sizes for freshwater and inshore use, and 80, 100, 150, and 200 lb. test for the big water species. In addition to the clear version, it’s also available in “Bloody Red” and “Nuclear Chartreuse”. A five-pack of the inshore versions sells for $4.99, comparable to quality metal swivels. For more information or to place an order, visit http://www.aquateko.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;.
____

Native "Slayer Propel 13"
Native "Ultimate 12"