Jacks are back

Gibby3474

Jacks are back

Post by Gibby3474 »

There are some who don't care for jack crevalle, but they're an important part of things. In addition, they're been in somewhat short supply since the 2010 freeze. In 2010, my clients and I totaled maybe 10 jacks. In 2011, we caught around 40. They're not totally back, but the numbers seem to be up. We've probably caught close to 100 this year.

These are hard-fighting fish that provide a lot of fun. They're strong and stubborn.

Recently, we've been getting into some bigger jacks. That's great news!

Steve
www.kayakfishingsarasota.com
http://gibbysfishingblog.blogspot.com/
NuCanoe Pursuit
NuCanoe Pro Staff
Aqua-Bound Pro Staff
TRKpoker

Re: Jacks are back

Post by TRKpoker »

They have been down here in Biscayne Bay this year very thick at times. First we went through the 1-1 1/2 lb ones that were so thick it was hard to get your bait to a trout. Then they were gone and you would get a few here or there. Then it was the tiny guys, 4-8" long. Now it is mixed with all sizes 5lb down. I like them until I can't catch anything else....then they just get old.

I was at a customers house today and looked under their dock. There was a 6-7 ball of jacks just going round and round (tide was slack) with them all being about 10lb+ boys. Wish I had a rod. Tossed in a few rocks and they chased them all down till the realized I was messing with them and they left.
DirksFishin

Post by DirksFishin »

I think they're a fantastic fighting fish and always enjoy reeling one in. This time of year the creeks start to fill up with these feisty little buggers. They make short work of your soft plastics thought they attack like piranhas. Top water is they way to go imho for jack cravs.
Derek

I hear possum taste like chicken.
Mark R

Post by Mark R »

That's a pretty fish, the background........mate!
"Likes smokey old pool rooms N clear mountain mornins. Little warm puppies, children and girls of the night"?