Convince me to use artificials

Norm
Supporter 2007 - 2014
Supporter 2007 - 2014

Re: Convince me to use artificials

Post by Norm »

Manning wrote:You said that you have had no luck with DOA. I am a very happy DOA fisherman. My favorite combo is a DOA shad tail on an 1/8 or 1/4 oz. I just throw it out and reel it back at a speed that keeps it off the bottom. I don't do any working or jerking it. With this method I make lots of casts, but I cover lots of ground. Favorite shad tail color is Arkanas Glow. Rod #2 has a spook jr. in bone coloe. This is a great topwater lure. My third rod usually has a spoon on it or a or a Mirrodine. If you can't get the job done with these things you aren't fishing where the fish are.
Ground :?: I think I have discovered part of your problem Steve... :lol:

Actually if you do just what Steve suggests...I'm pretty confident you will have some success. Only difference I incorporate is color of the Shad tail...I just prefer white. Also for a spoon...I highly recommend the Aquadream spoons. I use a quarter ounce gold when the water color gets a little dingy. I would suggest a Spro swivel between leader and split ring on the spoon.
Obama just traded 5 Mercedes for a Slinky ....Greg Gutfeld
jbdba01
Mr. Fishing Reports
Mr. Fishing Reports

Post by jbdba01 »

TRKpoker wrote:If I was starting someone on lures who didn't have much experience or luck with them I would start with top water. You can see the lure and the strike. Nothing like a blow up on a lure to get someone hooked. Second, since you see both the lure and strike you can quickly learn what works. Sub-surface always leaves me wondering if I am working a lure correctly for that time and place and tide. If you can't see the misses sometimes you get a false sense of not knowing what you are doing or using the lure incorrectly when in fact you are doing it correctly but you have had several missed you didn't see. I am partial to top water myself because I just love the blow ups.
I have to respectfully disagree with the top water and agree with Rik's point. I've been working topwater for a couple years now and struggle with it - I just seem to catch more fish on riptide paddle tails. From "the museum of what it's worth" I started both my kids on gold spoons and riptide mullets. You'll seldom miss a strike (especially reds) and you're always moving/doing something. Straight retrieve - nothing fancy; as you get better at it you can get "fancier".

I don't think I have the patience for DOA shrimp, but I may be ADD; Paul Brown is even harder.

Now...for size I'm all about the top water, but I catch less. Hence my struggles.

Course what hasn't been mentioned is are you used to deadstickin' - that's a whole different game. Arties to me is all about being where the fish are versus waiting for the fish to come to you. Finding the right water is probably more important than lures.

I strictly use spinning reels as do my kids.
JB
GILs_GONE_WILD

Post by GILs_GONE_WILD »

DOA paddle-tail in Chartreuse Glitter. Caught numerous species of fish on that one but mostly I use it for Speckled Trout.

Like Manning said, toss it out ... crank it in just fast enough to keep it out of the grass at first. No bites?? Crank it a little faster. They'll eat it!!!
GIL

"Only the half-mad are wholly alive." ~~~ Edward Abbey
Helmig

Post by Helmig »

Regardless what you throw you have to have confidence it will work. If your casting for 15 minutes with no strikes, the urge to put the old reliable live bait into use is overwhelming, because you plain just want to catch fish. The problem is the cast at minute 16 would have produced. Don't give up it will happen. Lower your expectations when you head out so you don't get frustrated. I do that when I'm fishing a new area and the lesson learned becomes my success.
justabucup

Post by justabucup »

If you really want to catch a fish on your DOA shrimp cast out, stick the rod in its holder and begin paddling at a slow speed over the grass flats and pot holes. Some of the biggest trout I have caught are trailering a DOA shrimp while I paddle to the next area. This can also be used with the doa shad tails and spoons
Credo quia absurdum
justabucup

Post by justabucup »

If you really want to catch a fish on your DOA shrimp cast out, stick the rod in its holder and begin paddling at a slow speed over the grass flats and pot holes. Some of the biggest trout I have caught are trailering a DOA shrimp while I paddle to the next area. This can also be used with the doa shad tails and spoons
Credo quia absurdum
TRKpoker

Post by TRKpoker »

Here in south fla many of the guys in my kayak club do this Bucup and they catch trout all the time. Personally I like doing the same with a Mirodine and get good results.
bjbg8r

Post by bjbg8r »

I'd like to thank all of you for your contributions. I'm heading to the 'glades in February and am going to spend my bait money on artificial instead (not having to worry about keeping them alive is always a bonus). Happy New Year and thanks again fellas!
Brian

-(2) Hurricane Phoenix 130 Kayaks

"When good men fail to act, evil men will act with evil results."
TexasDan

Post by TexasDan »

Here are a few lures that work for me....

Morning: Topwater (Supper Spook jr. Color-Bone) if you can find it. Any color will work.
Anytime: MirrOdine (17MR Color-Green Back)
Anytime: Aqua Dream Spoon (Color-Gold or White)
Low Tide: DOA or Slayer Paddle Tail or Dart (Color- They All Work. Key word is CONFIDENCE) on Weedless Hook Size-1/16oz or 1/8oz
High Tide: DOA or Slayer Paddle Tail or Dart (Color-They All Work. Key word is CONFIDENCE) on Jig Head Size-1/16oz or 1/8oz
TRKpoker

Post by TRKpoker »

Hey Bjbg8r when you find out when you are coming down here to fish let me know. Might be able to join you and get some fishing done.
countryboy_ucf

Post by countryboy_ucf »

For rod and reel, since no one else touched on this much, most of us on the flats prefer spincast to baitcast simply for distance. We fish shallow water, and use light baits that most baitcasters just can't throw.

For an entry level rod and reel for arties I would highly recommend a shimano spheros reel, with red bone medium light rod. It's not overly cheap, but its a great combo with lifetime warranty on the rod. Spool that up with 10-15lb test braid, grab some 25-30lb flourocarbon leader, and use a uni to uni knot to tie a 3 ft section of flourocarbon to your braid.

For a lure, do yourself a favor and listen to Rik. Arkansas Glow DOA paddle tail on a 1/8oz. Mission fishin, or DOA CAL jig head will catch EVERYTHING! On the flats, just reel it in over grass. Over sand, or around docks, let it sink to the bottom and jig it. I've caught, bass, bream, red drum, black drum, snook, tarpon, various snappers, groupers, barracuda, pompano, sheepshead, speckled trout, pike, rainbow trout, catfish, flounder, jacks, bluefish, mackerel and more on that one lure... It's so easy, its the only thing I let my inexperienced friends use when we are on the water.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1357673232.910033.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1357673261.105205.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1357673114.425145.jpg
Nick F
Hobie Revolution
"More often than not, when someone is telling me a story all I can think about is that I can't wait for them to finish so that I can tell my own
story that's not only better, but also more directly involves me."
Hobie Angler

Post by Hobie Angler »

Well, here is my contribution to the forum. This is my first post and I couldn't let this one go. Hope the video will help you in making your decision. This was from a week ago. All fish were caught on the same lure that day. In fact I never changed the lure or went to a different Rod. Ended up with a 27" Red and four Trout. All caught on DOA Cal shad tail. Rootbeer with chartruese color.

I have caught fish on different colors... DOA shrimp work great as well. Keep working it...

Hope that helps and good luck to you.

JR
bjbg8r

Post by bjbg8r »

:cheers: Thanks everyone! Welcome to the forum Hobie Angler - this is a great place to meet up with some people and just have some plain ol' good conversation.
Brian

pbr

Post by pbr »

For me it is the only way to fish, would only use live bait if I needed to catch fish for food. Based on my observations the Spook jr. has caught more fish and won more tournaments than any single lure. Next in line for me would be a Mirrodine standard size, and then a DOA 4" white or gold fleck jerk bait. If you cant catch something with these, they are no fish where you are casting. I prefer very lightweight setups, my whole rig weighs about 10 ounces and with 10lb braid can handle fish in the mid high 30" length. Much easier to cast and particularly with lighter lures.
bjbg8r

Post by bjbg8r »

I would like to personally thank everyone that contributed to this post. I'm heading to the 10,000 Islands next week and with no live bait. Your recommendations have proved invaluable! I've condensed down all the recomendations and I am brining the following:

1/4 oz Aqua Dream Gold Spoon
Bone-Color Super Spook Jr
Rootbeer Weedless DOA Cal-Shad
Mirrolure 17MR

Last question (for now LOL), do you use fluorocarbon leaders with all of the above?

I hope to have some great pictures to show when I get back. Thanks again fellas!
Brian

Norm
Supporter 2007 - 2014
Supporter 2007 - 2014

Post by Norm »

Yes to the Flourocarbon.... 20lb when the water is clear and 25-30lb around structure. If I'm targeting snook...I prefer 25lb at a minimum. I like the Yozuri Pink.
Obama just traded 5 Mercedes for a Slinky ....Greg Gutfeld