Wilderness Commander rigging

Have rigging questions or a good idea? Found a good fishing product? Tell us about it.
Busted lines

Wilderness Commander rigging

Post by Busted lines »

I just bought a Commander 140 and want to start getting it rigged up. Has anyone build their own slide trax dashboard? I think you could probably build one out of the plastic that they make cutting boards out of. You could also probably make the base plates for mounting your rod holders etc.

Any thoughts or ideas would be great.
mauso1
Supporter 2007 - 2013

Re: Wilderness Commander rigging

Post by mauso1 »

I thought about that..I even have some extra bolts, I'm sure it would work. I saw an article on it somewherr. Go ahead and be a pioneer and show us how. :salute:
Senior Exalted Pro Staff Member of the Paddle-Fishing.com Kayak & Canoe Anglers Club
Rik

Post by Rik »

Busted lines wrote: I think you could probably build one out of the plastic that they make cutting boards out of.
Or StarBoard. Google King StarBoard. There's a place in Bradenton that sells cut offs - http://www.marinesurplusinc.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Over every mountain there is a path, although it may not be seen from the valley
Todd
PFTS Chairman
PFTS Chairman

Post by Todd »

You probably could but a word of caution. Before you build anything for the slide trax paddle the boat first. I found that having a rod holder up front just did not work. To have it far enough back to reach the rod you will hit the rod holder while you paddle. To not hit it while paddling you have to move it so far forward you won't be able to reach it. That was my experience anyway and I have had the Commander 140 and 120.

Also, I rarely paddle my Commander from the seat, I use the captains perch. MarkM took his seat out completely and put a seat on the captains perch. Keep that in mind before you do any rigging.
You know what La Quinta means in English? Behind Dennys. MarkM
Rik

Post by Rik »

Todd wrote: Before you build anything....... paddle the boat first.
Thats good advice for any kayak.

The first rod holder I mounted in my first kayak was put on temporarily with bungee cord. Standing next to the kayak it seemed to be the perfect place. I'm glad I didn't bolt it down as I moved it two more times after paddling before I found the best spot.
Over every mountain there is a path, although it may not be seen from the valley
jbdba01
Mr. Fishing Reports
Mr. Fishing Reports

Post by jbdba01 »

I had it in and it just got in the way. Less is/was more.
JB