coming to Pine Island

Flamingo to Big Bend
Alway$umthin'

coming to Pine Island

Post by Alway$umthin' »

Hey folks, 3 of us are coming to Pine Island second week of Nov. (5-9) from NC. Staying up around Jug Creek...any suggestions on how to fish that area with kayaks? Bait, fish, lures, etc. Also, up for making a couple of day trips to other spots in the area. any suggestions there? Cayo Costa, Captiva, Matlacha, others? We plan to target reds and trout with hopes of snook. I think I read that snook is closed for the year. Is that right? Also, we will need license. best tackle store in area? If any of you guys are available, we would love to fish with you. can't beat the local knowledge....thanks. don
Blindmullet

Re: coming to Pine Island

Post by Blindmullet »

Alway$umthin' wrote:Hey folks, 3 of us are coming to Pine Island second week of Nov. (5-9) from NC. Staying up around Jug Creek...any suggestions on how to fish that area with kayaks? Bait, fish, lures, etc. Also, up for making a couple of day trips to other spots in the area. any suggestions there? Cayo Costa, Captiva, Matlacha, others? We plan to target reds and trout with hopes of snook. I think I read that snook is closed for the year. Is that right? Also, we will need license. best tackle store in area? If any of you guys are available, we would love to fish with you. can't beat the local knowledge....thanks. don
Fishing your way out to Cayo Costa would be a good choice IMO. It's really not a bad trip if you map it correctly.
Team Pro Bass "Fishing Legendz"
Todd
PFTS Chairman
PFTS Chairman

Post by Todd »

Check your PM and use google earth, that will be your best guide.
You know what La Quinta means in English? Behind Dennys. MarkM
DaveR
Supporter 2007 - 2012

Post by DaveR »

I hung a huge snook just outside of Jug Creek a ways back. Super Spook I think. Buzzard Bay can be good in Nov.. Topwaters, jigs, and don't forget gold spoons.
Senior Exalted Pro Staff Member of the Paddle-Fishing.com Kayak & Canoe Anglers Club

"SANCTUARY!!!"

Capitalization is the difference between helping your Uncle Jack off a horse, and helping your uncle jack off a horse.
fjbolebruch

Post by fjbolebruch »

You are coming at an awesome time of year if you are targeting reds and snook. The cooler weather that has just started has been bringing huge fish up into the flats. Matlacha has a great kayak launch and tons of flats, mangrove lines, and oyster bars that hold prize fish. If you are looking to travel a bit, Pineland has a free, but very limited, launch right before the marina. You want to launch out of there if you are looking to paddle to Cayo Costa. As for local fishing shops, D&D marina has everything you need for bait and tackle. As always, it's tons more fun to fish with artificial lures and sight cast the tailing reds on the shallows, but live shrimp will put you on big gator trout. If you are looking to rent kayaks while you are there, go to Florida Paddlesports at the corner of Pine Island rd and Burntstore rd. They have rentals and free delivery and an awesome staff. http://shop.floridapaddlesports.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Have fun! And don't fish out my spots!!!
Rik

Post by Rik »

Alway$umthin' wrote: I think I read that snook is closed for the year. Is that right?
Closed to take one for the skillet. Open for catch and release.
Over every mountain there is a path, although it may not be seen from the valley