Picnic Launch

Mike Hodge

Picnic Launch

Post by Mike Hodge »

Launched at Picnic Island Monday for the p.m. low tide, a 0.3 with a slight NE breeze. Launched two hours (at 3 p.m) before the 5 p.m. low. Headed back in around 6:30 to make sure I didn't get locked in the park. That turned out to be the least of my worries.
The creek back to the launch was less than navigable. I tried, slogged may way up 10 yards. No use. Had to get out and trudge through knee high muck to get out. It was nasty. The no seeums were in full force and the racoons were laughing at me.
Anyway, I had make the paddle over to the pier/park in a hurry before sunset and then made the walk back to the jeep parked near the canoe launch. It's a bit of a hike. Fortunately, I have a good cart, so transporting the ultimate down the lengthy shell path from the pier to the parking area was doable.
I got out of there just in time, tired, but triumphant given that it could have been worse, had I waited much longer.
Moral of the story: The canoe/kayak launch at PI is probably not doable on most fall/winter tides. Had I waited another hour, I might have been able to make it through there. Just didn't want to risk it. Now that Oct. is almost here, I'll launch from the park/pier from now on.
Todd
PFTS Chairman
PFTS Chairman

Re: Picnic Launch

Post by Todd »

That is a bit of a hike. Did you have your cart with you or did you have to hike back to the car to get your cart?
You know what La Quinta means in English? Behind Dennys. MarkM
Mike Hodge

Post by Mike Hodge »

I left the ultimate, walked back to the jeep and got the cart. It was a risk, but I didn't have much of a choice. Took my fly rod, wallet, etc with me.

I errred in the first post. The low was a 0.6 and I didn't bottom out until 6:15 a few minutes before I headed back in toward the kayak launch. I've fished there before on a 0.5/0.6 and had no problems getting back to the canoe launch. The NE breeze (while not strong) makes a difference I guess. Felt like a 0.4, 0.3 on the flats.
DaveR
Supporter 2007 - 2012

Post by DaveR »

Last nights low was lower than anticipated. Wind must have aided the outgoing. I had loads of shots yesterday but everything spooked. Not one take. 4 different flies.
Senior Exalted Pro Staff Member of the Paddle-Fishing.com Kayak & Canoe Anglers Club

"SANCTUARY!!!"

Capitalization is the difference between helping your Uncle Jack off a horse, and helping your uncle jack off a horse.
Mike Hodge

Post by Mike Hodge »

DaveR wrote:Last nights low was lower than anticipated. Wind must have aided the outgoing. I had loads of shots yesterday but everything spooked. Not one take. 4 different flies.
That's what I thought when I was out on the flat, but I don't have enough experience to recognize that for certain. Even when I was on the flats, I had to get out and portage a bit.
I fished the last of the outgoing and headed back in too early for the start of the incoming. Even though the end of the trip was a pain, seeing that skinny of a tide really helped me scout the area.
Last edited by Mike Hodge on Wed Sep 26, 2012 8:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JoeS

Post by JoeS »

Mike at least you got to see the lay of the land......
"I want to help the helpless, but I don't give a damn about the clueless anymore!