August - September recap lots of pics!

Flamingo to Big Bend
seeinred

August - September recap lots of pics!

Post by seeinred »

Hey guys, it was another long summer for me working on the tarpon boats but as always an enjoyable one. With tarpon season finally winding down, I've been able to find time to get back into the kayak. I'll admit, I was a bit sluggish to jump back in the plastic sled, but since the beginning of August I've spent almost every day in the kayaks.

During Augut, as hot as it was, I was limiting my trips to the first few hours of the morning and the last few hours of the day and into night. Right on schedule the redfish have begun schooling up and were very aggressive all through the month of August. Some evenings it was not uncommon to find schools of with hudreds of fish tailing at once! During the full moon periods, I was able to target fish during the night using the light of the full moon to help me locate the fish - the fish were so aggressive that you could get within feet of the school after dark and almost effortlessly hookup... as simple as getting a bait in the water. Most of the fish were of the over slot variety with the biggest of the month topping out at 36".

The trick for me to targetting these fish was avoiding the mid day heat when they were sluggish. Evenings when I was able to catch a low tide around sunset were the most productive, and I also noticed a major correlation between the rising moon and the more aggressive feeding behavior of the fish. The most important factor though was undoubtably the incoming tide. While fish were caught on out going tides... as soon as the incomer began the schools of fish would seemingly bum rush the flats waving their tails like flags, giving away their exact location.

Here's some pics of the redfish action:

The faithful Little Jon always gets it done

My buddy Ryan with his, at the time, biggest redfish ever.. I think we had doubles in a row that this fish was a part of. He would later catch bigger fish than the one pictured, but when the action is that good who cares about a picture.

Here's my big dog of the month at 36" and on topwater!

Here's my girlfriend with a big over slot

Since September began things have begun to noticeably change. Snook have invaded the flats, flounder are beginning to show up and larger trout are making an appearance on the flats as well. Without a doubt though, the snook fishing has been the highlight of this month for me, particularly in the previous couple weeks. Since the most recent front pushed through our area, the snook have been absolutely on fire! Without even intentionally targetting them they have become almost a nuisance while redfishing. While the redfishing continues to stay good, the snook have become difficult to ignore. I've been catching most of my snook on plugs both surface and subsurface. Particularly the MirrOdine XL and mini as well as the She-Pup/Dog. The outgoing tide has definitely been the most productive time for me, finding most of my fish around oyster bars, shallow docks and on the flats where I would normally target trout and reds. During one recent evening trip, I caught 9 snook in an hour and half with three of them being over 30" and the largest topping out at just shy of 35".. That's a good snook bite! As fun as they are to catch, I cannot stress enough to importance of handling them with care. The snook population is at a delicate juncture and it is up to us to be respectful of that. For those of you that choose not to target them entirely, my hats off to you. Unfortunately for me, they've become almost impossible to ignore.

Here's the boys from a recent charter with an overslot fish, there's a reason why I call myself 'seeinred' - they are without a doubt my favorite species to target on the flats year round.

Cyrus with a big trout from the same trip

On a recent morning trip I got this gator trout on the Little Jon right about 27"

The first snook from the evening I got 9 of them

Here's the big girl of the evening and the last cast of the day

This fish came while redfishing and helped me complete a pretty big slam for the day at 84"

And one last shot... so long Mr. Snooky

Stone crab season starts Oct 5 (my birthday) with mullet roe season starting the following month. This will be my first winter season full time commercial fishing so my time in the yaks will be limited... again, but hope to see some of you on the water. Also, I'm giving a seminar Oct 18th at West Marine in Tampa.. I hope some of y'all can make it!
For more kayak fishing reports, tips, and fishing charters please visit;
http://tampabaykayakcharters.com/

Spencer
Heywood

Re: August - September recap lots of pics!

Post by Heywood »

Commercial Fisherman?

Please tell me I read that wrong.
"Anytime I shag a buddies wife I always cut the lawn when I'm done " ~ The Leg End ~
seeinred

Post by seeinred »

No typos there, Bill. I will be stone crabbing and mullet fishing during roe season. Contrary to popular belief, not all commercial guys are so bad. Besides, there's good money to be made.

Watch out for me this winter time on your favorite redfish flats. :2ar15smilie:

Spencer
Todd
PFTS Chairman
PFTS Chairman

Post by Todd »

Don't worry Bill, he will do one roe season and realize he should go back to school.

Stone crabs? Glad I have your number.
You know what La Quinta means in English? Behind Dennys. MarkM
seeinred

Post by seeinred »

Believe it or not, I'm still in school. I might be the first ever full time student/commercial fishermen. :idea:

Spencer
Heywood

Post by Heywood »

seeinred wrote:No typos there, Bill. I will be stone crabbing and mullet fishing during roe season. Contrary to popular belief, not all commercial guys are so bad. Besides, there's good money to be made.

Watch out for me this winter time on your favorite redfish flats. :2ar15smilie:
I hope your ducking skills are sharpened. :joker:
"Anytime I shag a buddies wife I always cut the lawn when I'm done " ~ The Leg End ~
jbdba01
Mr. Fishing Reports
Mr. Fishing Reports

Post by jbdba01 »

seeinred wrote:Believe it or not, I'm still in school. I might be the first ever full time student/commercial fishermen. :idea:
You ever consider this...

http://news.ufl.edu/2010/04/13/flw-champs/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
JB
Blindmullet

Post by Blindmullet »

seeinred wrote:Believe it or not, I'm still in school. I might be the first ever full time student/commercial fishermen. :idea:
Maybe, second :D My dad worked through school..went to Brown for a Masters in Microbiology. Commercial Lobster in Mass, Giant tuna around the US from coast to coast. Grouper fished for 30 years in the GOM and at one time had a small stone crab operation.

Keep up the good work Spence! My father loved the ocean and never used his fancy ivy league degree. Years of hard work have given him some VERY nice passive income. He is semi-retired and has someone else running the boat. His deck hands are making about $2,500/trip. The AVG trip right now is 6-8days--fishing is wicked right now.

What are you working towards in school?
Team Pro Bass "Fishing Legendz"
mikeB
Supporter 2007 - 2014
Supporter 2007 - 2014

Post by mikeB »

Nice fish/Pics and congrats on your charter success. Don't the crabs open on the 15th?
seeinred

Post by seeinred »

Mullet - It's funny you mention that, one of the guys I'll be mullet fishing with actually graduated from UF with a BA in finance. Worked for an insurance company for a few years and said it wasn't for him. I'm studying communications right now.

Mike - You can begin harvesting the 15th but traps go in the water 10 days prior to the harvest date.. they call it the "soak season".

Spencer
Blindmullet

Post by Blindmullet »

seeinred wrote:Mullet - It's funny you mention that, one of the guys I'll be mullet fishing with actually graduated from UF with a BA in finance. Worked for an insurance company for a few years and said it wasn't for him. I'm studying communications right now.

Mike - You can begin harvesting the 15th but traps go in the water 10 days prior to the harvest date.. they call it the "soak season".
For the first time you are gonna love cold fronts... :pirate:
Team Pro Bass "Fishing Legendz"
ChrisR
Supporter 2010 - 2014
Supporter 2010 - 2014

Post by ChrisR »

Great report. Good luck with the crabs and mullet.
Rik

Post by Rik »

Can we cuss at you when you're mullet netting even though we like you?
Over every mountain there is a path, although it may not be seen from the valley
Heywood

Post by Heywood »

Rik wrote:Can we cuss at you when you're mullet netting even though we like you?
Spencer in 5 years - 40 lbs over weight, dirty T-shirt, dirty rain pants (covered in mullet scales), dirty hat, dirty boat, missing at least one tooth (possible from fighting at the fish house) overheard saying "Yeah, I went to skool, but there's money in them mullets"!!

Good luck buddy.

Stay off the south shore. :twisted:
Todd
PFTS Chairman
PFTS Chairman

Post by Todd »

Heywood wrote: Spencer in 5 years - 40 lbs over weight, dirty T-shirt, dirty rain pants (covered in mullet scales), dirty hat, dirty boat, missing at least one tooth (possible from fighting at the fish house) overheard saying "Yeah, I went to skool, but there's money in them mullets"!!

Good luck buddy.
Not much difference today except he is a skinny bastard with all his teeth. :lol:
You know what La Quinta means in English? Behind Dennys. MarkM
shamus
The Beaver Tickler

Post by shamus »

Hope it's an online school. Nobody is going to sit next to a Mullet guy in Ancient Myan math 101. Bueler, Bueler, Mullet guy ,Mullet guy.
0 0 1