Anchor Trolley Questions

Have rigging questions or a good idea? Found a good fishing product? Tell us about it.
Manning
Supporter 2009 - 2013

Anchor Trolley Questions

Post by Manning »

I am getting ready to install an anchor trolley on my Native 14.5. I have a couple questions.

1. The kit I bought came with a zigzag cleat to hold the trolley line in position. I am not too keen on mounting that thing on the side of the kayak. At this point I am not too keen on mounting this thing on the side of the kayak. Looks like something that could be a problem. Do I need it or is there a better solution to this issue?

2. Going to mount it on the port side. How forward and aft do I mount the pulleys? Can I keep the mounting points before the foam blocks in the bow and stern?

3. Kit came with both screws, washer, locking nut and with pop rivets. If I stay out of where the foam blocks are I can use either. Any preference?

Thanks.
Being out on the water in the kayak is the prize. Catching fish is the bonus.

Steve
Rik

Re: Anchor Trolley Questions

Post by Rik »

Skip the cleat. 99% of the time you'll have the trolley slid all the way aft or all the way forward. You can always add it later.

As I've noted before, I only have a half way trolley. Mid kayak aft. I've never found a time when I wanted my anchor or stake out pole in front on the kayak. I use a separate line for a wade line, one that actually pulls from the point of the bow instead of off center..
Over every mountain there is a path, although it may not be seen from the valley
DoubleM

Post by DoubleM »

Mine came with a full trolley and is mounted before just before the foam blocks on the bow and stern. I believe that's how Native designed the trolley they sell, never had any issues. You would need the rivets to install up by the foam, bolt and nylocks will work before them.
Mark .aka. Man of Purpose. Original Chincy Jones

Ultimate 14.5 sand & blue Indian River Outdoorsman.

The jig is up and weedless.
Uncle Tommy
Black Tip Tommy

Post by Uncle Tommy »

If you fish creeks where you can't get out of the boat, you'll probably want the full trolley. Rik is right, most of the time you'll be anchoring off the stern or midships, but when you are in a creek and want to make a natural presentation with the current, being able to anchor off the bow comes in handy.
Please, call me Kate
Rik

Post by Rik »

In a Native, if I were going to go all the way from bow to stern, I'd do it with two anchor trolleys. Split in the middle. That way you won't have the trolley jumping over the gunnel at midship
Over every mountain there is a path, although it may not be seen from the valley
scotty14

Post by scotty14 »

I agree with the half and half trolley. Much cleaner set up without the trolley sliding up where you dont want it. Skip the cleet all together. I never have a problem with mine sliding once anchored. Those things tend to get in the way. I went with the drill less trolley. From front handle to middle handle. Then middle handle to rear handle...with 2 biner clips/with nylon rings on both halves.
-Scotty-
-------------------------
<Heritage> Redfish 12 (Khaki)
Manning
Supporter 2009 - 2013

Post by Manning »

I talked to the guy who intstalls trolleys at the shop where I bought my kayak and he said full length so that is how I did it. Seems to work fine. Recently was fishing where water was moving and was able to pull the trolley forward and fish the current for a natural presentation. Have had no problem with the line coming up over the rail, but I have the pully in the stern tensioned with some bungee cord which keeps the lines tight.
Being out on the water in the kayak is the prize. Catching fish is the bonus.

Steve