Native Ultimate 14.5 Deep Water Reentry - A Successful Test

Manning
Supporter 2009 - 2013

Native Ultimate 14.5 Deep Water Reentry - A Successful Test

Post by Manning »

After tarpon fishing this morning Shamus, Uncle Tommy and I stood on the beach discussing the shark Tommy fought. During the conversation we talked about being out in open water in a Native Ultimate and what would happen if you swamped it. I got thinking about this on the drive home and decided to do a little testing in my pool. To make the test as realistic as possible I tried to do everything in the deep end of the pool and kept my feet off the bottom of the pool. I put on my PFD for this test. To be truthful, I started the test without the PFD and quickly learned how much easier it was maneuver and hold myself in position with the PFD. In the spirit of full disclosure, I am 65 years old and weigh just under 200 pounds.

I put the Ultimate 14.5 in the pool with seat and seat riser, but no fishing equipment. The kayak also has a front spray skirt on it which will be a critical element to my success later on. I then leaned on the side and swamped it. Once it was filled with water it floated with maybe 1 inch of freeboard on each side. Filled like this the kayak was incredibly unstable. The slightest pressure on either side would make the kayak list over into the water. I tried getting in the kayak once with it fully swamped, but it was pointless since it was so unstable.

My first order of business was to see how I could get the water out. First thing I did was try to use my pump. I found this very cumbersome and not very effective. If I reached over the side to pump it just listed over and took on as much water as I was pumping out. I could reach in over the stern with the pump, but the slightest pressure on the boat would cause it to list over again. Next I tried something I had heard people do with swamped canoes. I went to the stern of the kayak and pushed it down into the water as far as I could which raised the bow out of the water slightly. I then pushed the kayak forwards in a quick thrusting motion. To my pleasant surprise this took about 20% to 30% of the water out of the kayak. It was now floating with a few inches of freeboard on each side. I tried this a few more times, but really gained nothing more in these subsequent tries.

I again tried to see if I could get into the kayak, but it was still too unstable. I had to find a way to get more water out. I went back to the pump. Again I found that the best spot to pump from was over the stern, but it was very difficult and very slow. I decided to try bailing. I got a plastic 2lb Folgers coffee container. I tried bailing from the side, but again the instability of the boat 2/3 full of water became an issue. Bailing at the stern seemed to work best. As the bailing progressed I could put pressure on the stern, which would sink it a little and make the water flow back there. This way I could get a full bucket full each time bailed. In just a little more than 10 minutes I had almost all of the water out of the kayak.

Now the task was to see if I could figure out how to get back in. First, I tried to just climb over the side. I could not find any way to do this without swamping the kayak all over again. Next I tried to use my kayak cart strap to make a stirrup. I attached the strap to one side of the kayak and then tried to get into the other side by putting my foot in the strap loop. Again, I could not figure out how to make this work. Then I had an idea. I would try to get in over the bow where the spray skirt was. I pushed the bow down and the skirt prevented the water from flooding the kayak. I then reached up and grabbed the back edge of the skirt and pulled myself part of the way up out of the water. I next grabbed the cross bar just behind the skirt and slithered into the kayak. There I was, back in the kayak with only a minor amount of water in the boat.

Conclusion: A deep water reentry can be done. However, I don’t think I could have done it if I didn’t have the front spray skirt. Also, I did it in the dead calm of a pool. If I were in water with any waves or chop I think I would be SOL.
Being out on the water in the kayak is the prize. Catching fish is the bonus.

Steve
mauso1
Supporter 2007 - 2013

Re: Native Ultimate 14.5 Deep Water Reentry - A Successful T

Post by mauso1 »

I put the Ultimate 14.5 in the pool with seat and seat riser, but no fishing equipment.
what fun is that? Good thing you now are aware of the limitations
Senior Exalted Pro Staff Member of the Paddle-Fishing.com Kayak & Canoe Anglers Club
Rik

Post by Rik »

Makes you rethink launching off the beach on sloppy days, doesn't it?
Over every mountain there is a path, although it may not be seen from the valley
Manning
Supporter 2009 - 2013

Post by Manning »

Rik wrote:Makes you rethink launching off the beach on sloppy days, doesn't it?
Absolutely! My next project is to see how I can simply improve the boat's flotation. My thought is garbage bags filled with styrofom peanuts. One for the bow and one for the stern.

Steve
Rik

Post by Rik »

Look up canoe float bags.
Over every mountain there is a path, although it may not be seen from the valley
MarkM
Supporter 2007 - 2012

Post by MarkM »

Good report, but I see this wasn't as easy as we thought. Do you think you would have had the same success in the gulf with a 1-2 foot chop? Seems like it would be nearly impossible as compared to doing it in a pool.
DirksFishin

Post by DirksFishin »

I'm glad you older guys have plenty of time to perform these experiments so I don't have to. That sounded like a hell of a workout man. I love the Native but since it's not self bailing it won't be my next investment for fishing at least.
Derek

I hear possum taste like chicken.
Pirogue

Post by Pirogue »

Manning wrote:
Rik wrote:Makes you rethink launching off the beach on sloppy days, doesn't it?
Absolutely! My next project is to see how I can simply improve the boat's flotation. My thought is garbage bags filled with styrofom peanuts. One for the bow and one for the stern.
Beachballs :D
1 3 12 120 3000
Heywood

Post by Heywood »

This post is useless with out pics.

Just sayin........ :mrgreen:
"Anytime I shag a buddies wife I always cut the lawn when I'm done " ~ The Leg End ~
Rik

Post by Rik »

If it happened in the gulf, I'd tie my wade tether line to someone's kayak then start swimming to the beach.

Make you a deal Steve, I'll tow yours if you'll tow mine.
Manning
Supporter 2009 - 2013

Post by Manning »

Pirogue wrote: Beachballs :D
Thanks for noticing. Yup, us Native pilots are real brave for taking those things out in the gulf. :D

Steve
Manning
Supporter 2009 - 2013

Post by Manning »

Rik wrote:If it happened in the gulf, I'd tie my wade tether line to someone's kayak then start swimming to the beach.

Make you a deal Steve, I'll tow yours if you'll tow mine.
You got a deal.

Steve
SnookBait

Post by SnookBait »

I have a U12. I have thought to myself many times about how I would get back into the boat if it swamped. I really enjoyed reading this write up. Makes me realize that I really need to practice this and be prepared if it ever happens.

Thanks,
bluebill

Post by bluebill »

Good posts. I am an older guy also but lighter and more agile. But, I have been using my sit-in Pungo until I do a bit of plastic repair on the sit-on-top Mini-X. This will push me to repair the sit-on which floats high and like a cork no matter what.
Be thankful for every day and especially those fine days on the water
JoeS

Post by JoeS »

" I could not find any way to do this without swamping the kayak all over again. Next I tried to use my kayak cart strap to make a stirrup. I attached the strap to one side of the kayak and then tried to get into the other side by putting my foot in the strap loop. Again, I could not figure out how to make this work."

Steve you were on the right track all you needed was a Paddle float to counterbalance the boat step into the stirrup and climb aboard....I posted a video of this a few years ago on this forum I will see if I can find it again.....also I reccomend getting a Atwood Portable D cell Bildge Pump about $40 it pumps about 200GPR plenty fast enough to empty a canoe or Ultimate in an emergency......I am pretty sure I have showed Uncle Tommy, Dave R and a few others this pump.......again great post.....
"I want to help the helpless, but I don't give a damn about the clueless anymore!
DonS

Post by DonS »

Loved my native ultimate 14-5
Love my native magic 14-5 more. It floats when swamped. I don't.
stroke - stroke - glide