Good low tide

Mike Hodge

Re: Good low tide

Post by Mike Hodge »

Went out a couple times so far this week. Monday, the wind blew hard enough that fly/sight fishing was all but eliminated. Saw some fish back in the creeks, but didn't get a good shot because it was tight quarters among the mangroves.

Wind laid down Thursday for a trip on the flats. Saw two good tailers. A bit short on the first cast. Lined him on the second. First time I missed long on a tailing fish this year after missing short dozens of times. The lined fish spooked the other fish. Oh well. ..
Back at it Friday. Tide's not strong, but the wind forecast is good. Figure I'd better take advantage.
Mike Hodge

Post by Mike Hodge »

Went out Sunday and Monday. Low winds. Nice days for the long rod, but didn't see too many fish at Simmons (Sunday) or Cypress Point (Monday). Should have been better, but it wasn't. Strange.
DaveR
Supporter 2007 - 2012

Post by DaveR »

Found some aggressive reds Sunday. Had a classic long follow and finally a take just as the leader was entering the first guide. Hook set seemed sloppy so after the fish was clear of the boat I applied a bit more pressure to sink the tiny hook and POP. Only had a 12 lb bite tippet on and it parted. I suspect it was nicked. So I reached behing my for my fly box and discovered I had lefy it my vehicle. Caught a few more nice reds on jigs and while that's fun, just ain't the same.
Senior Exalted Pro Staff Member of the Paddle-Fishing.com Kayak & Canoe Anglers Club

"SANCTUARY!!!"

Capitalization is the difference between helping your Uncle Jack off a horse, and helping your uncle jack off a horse.
BearsFan
Egotistical Prick

Post by BearsFan »

Lesson learned. Were you able to cast the jigs alright on your 8wt?
Senior Exalted Pro Staff Member of the Paddle-Fishing.com Kayak & Canoe Anglers Club

"You think you have problems now? Follow your instincts, it will get worse" -Hatch
DaveR
Supporter 2007 - 2012

Post by DaveR »

Wind tomorrow but good tide. Lee don't fail me now! 8wt time me thinks.

"SANCTUARY!!!"

Capitalization is the difference between helping your Uncle Jack off a horse, and helping your uncle jack off a horse.
DaveR
Supporter 2007 - 2012

Post by DaveR »

Had one shot. Wasn't to be.

"SANCTUARY!!!"

Mike Hodge

Post by Mike Hodge »

Had one potential shot as well Tues. morning, but he spooked and eased on down the flat before I could get a cast off. I sat there and studied my options for about five minutes, took one step to get a little closer and that was it. Water was real skinny. Lower shin level. Could see the fish's back. Great day. Low tide. Low wind.
BearsFan
Egotistical Prick

Post by BearsFan »

Mike Hodge wrote: Low tide. Low wind.
Those are usually the hard ones, everything has to be perfect.

"You think you have problems now? Follow your instincts, it will get worse" -Hatch
Mike Hodge

Post by Mike Hodge »

Back at it this morning. Strong low/incoming (0.6). Little wind (still more than the forecast), but the barometer was dropping before I left the house. Not much going on at all. I was never a big believer in barometric pressure. I'm starting to think it's a factor, because even the guys with bait were struggling.
Evan

Post by Evan »

I ditched work on Wednesday and took my canoe out with my buddy Chris to the same spot where he had caught NINE Reds on fly the day before, and several on Monday as well. The only difference was the weather, but it was a huge difference, because we only saw a few tails and ended the day with just one chunky trout to the boat. Hopefully things are back on track by tomorrow.
Everyone is entitled to my opinion
dunfly

Post by dunfly »

This picture reminds me of someone, but I can't think of who it is.
“You don’t ever want a crisis to go to waste....” — Rahm Emanuel
"Freedom!" - Sir William Wallace
Who is John Galt?
BigFlyReel
Supporter 2011 - 2013

Post by BigFlyReel »

Love that painting...
____

Native "Slayer Propel 13"
Native "Ultimate 12"
John
Guv'ner

Post by John »

If I were Evan that painting would be hanging on my wall
"If you don't know history, then you don't know anything. You are a leaf that doesn't know it is part of a tree." - Michael Crichton
Evan

Post by Evan »

I'm just now seeing this painting...it's almost like looking in a mirror! I even have a hat exactly like that one...where did this come from? Has someone been following me around with an easel? :lol:
Everyone is entitled to my opinion
dunfly

Post by dunfly »

Evan,

I thought you might have posed for it. Here is a link to the artists website. I love her work.

http://marymaxam.net/dataviewer.asp?key ... =WorksZoom" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
“You don’t ever want a crisis to go to waste....” — Rahm Emanuel
"Freedom!" - Sir William Wallace
Who is John Galt?
DaveR
Supporter 2007 - 2012

Post by DaveR »

"SANCTUARY!!!"