Tarpon Fishing from the Yak

Flamingo to Big Bend
SnookBait

Tarpon Fishing from the Yak

Post by SnookBait »

So my buddy is fairly new to kayak fishing but he has had multiple boats in the past so i like to call him a 2 stroker. I've been kayak fishing for a while but i still have alot to learn. He and I have been talking about trying for Tarpon off the beaches. He keeps saying AMI. I really dont think we have to drive down there for Tarpon. Do any of you guys feel the same? I'm thinking Pinellas beaches are just as good. Any suggestions?
Blindmullet

Re: Tarpon Fishing from the KAYAK

Post by Blindmullet »

Tarpon migrate....there is no magic beach. They will be more concentrated in certain areas during certain times. You tend to do better near passes during large tides. I can say passage key was loaded last weekend and should be again. AMI could be pretty dangerous. Lot's of boats out there last weekend! They don't slow down for the fishermen in the pass either.

Tarpon are a pain in the ass...find a beach and hang out by some swim buoys.
Team Pro Bass "Fishing Legendz"
Rik

Post by Rik »

You can find tarpon off any beach from Marco Island to Cedar Key this time of year. The thing to consider is a place with as little boat traffic as possible. Passes always hold more fish but they are also very dangerous places for small plastic boats.
Over every mountain there is a path, although it may not be seen from the valley
SnookBait

Post by SnookBait »

ive caught them from a boat befor. it just seems like a great adrenaline rush to get one from a kayak. this weekend or next will be when i try.
jbdba01
Mr. Fishing Reports
Mr. Fishing Reports

Post by jbdba01 »

I've been off AMI 3 times and the fish are there, but not in numbers (yet). The large schools of fish still seem to be south of Tampa. Give it a week or so.

I've seen fish at the skyway, the pass off AMI, and on the beach. All it takes is 1, but better when there's 1000's of fish out there than 100's.

IMHO if you're in the pass in a kayak you're really taking some chances, but don't let me talk you out of it.

My $.02.
JB
John
Guv'ner

Post by John »

Any beach in Pinellas will hold them, the closer to a pass you are the better.
"If you don't know history, then you don't know anything. You are a leaf that doesn't know it is part of a tree." - Michael Crichton
SnookBait

Post by SnookBait »

I know what you mean by taking some chances in a pass. Last year my buddy and i went out of Passagrille at about midnight and found out pretty quick that it is a little scary with that current.