Gurgler......

JoeS

Gurgler......

Post by JoeS »

A little different take on the Gurgler......... Critique Please.......Pic shows a few straggler hairs that need to be trimmed off.....Hoping it looks like a struggling White Shrimp on the top of the water......Hopefully the eyes won't flip it over......
"I want to help the helpless, but I don't give a damn about the clueless anymore!
BearsFan
Egotistical Prick

[0YR4D

Post by BearsFan »

I have never in my life seen a shrimp struggling on the surface of the water. However, I have tied many gurgler type flies to mimic them in just that predicament. I don't think those big eyes in the front quarter are necessary. I do think the most important part is what the fly looks like from underneath and back a foot. This is where a picky fish will make up it's mind whether or not it is going to eat. That is where I place my effort when tying shrimp gurglers.
Senior Exalted Pro Staff Member of the Paddle-Fishing.com Kayak & Canoe Anglers Club

"You think you have problems now? Follow your instincts, it will get worse" -Hatch
DaveR
Supporter 2007 - 2012

Re: Gurgler......

Post by DaveR »

That nose doesn't look too upturned. Don't know how much gurgling it will do. The eyes, well don't see the need for eyes.
Senior Exalted Pro Staff Member of the Paddle-Fishing.com Kayak & Canoe Anglers Club

"SANCTUARY!!!"

Capitalization is the difference between helping your Uncle Jack off a horse, and helping your uncle jack off a horse.
GILs_GONE_WILD

Post by GILs_GONE_WILD »

DaveR wrote: The eyes, well don't see the need for eyes.
The eyes are for the fisherman/fly tyer/fly buyer. :)
GIL

"Only the half-mad are wholly alive." ~~~ Edward Abbey
JoeS

Re: [0YR4D

Post by JoeS »

BearsFan wrote:I have never in my life seen a shrimp struggling on the surface of the water. However, I have tied many gurgler type flies to mimic them in just that predicament. I don't think those big eyes in the front quarter are necessary. I do think the most important part is what the fly looks like from underneath and back a foot. This is where a picky fish will make up it's mind whether or not it is going to eat. That is where I place my effort when tying shrimp gurglers.
Dave the nose will be up when used.......I dab a small amount of epoxy on the nose to keep it up.......As for the eyes......Just screwing around.......Need to get out more......
"I want to help the helpless, but I don't give a damn about the clueless anymore!
BearsFan
Egotistical Prick

Post by BearsFan »

"You think you have problems now? Follow your instincts, it will get worse" -Hatch
GILs_GONE_WILD

Re: [0YR4D

Post by GILs_GONE_WILD »

JoeS wrote: As for the eyes......Just screwing around.......Need to get out more......
:mrgreen:
GIL

"Only the half-mad are wholly alive." ~~~ Edward Abbey
Wuluf

Post by Wuluf »

I'd eat it.
Wuluf