Ocean Kayak Trident 11 Angler edition SOT review and photos

If you use one that is listed, please add a review. If a kayak or canoe that you would like to give a review of is not listed, please add it. This is also where you can show off your boat.
mjrodney
Supporter 2012

Ocean Kayak Trident 11 Angler edition SOT review and photos

Post by mjrodney »

Recently, I found myself on the hunt for a smaller and lighter weight replacement for my previous kayak, a Tarpon 16, a boat that fully rigged out came in at about 90 lbs dry.

A bit too heavy for my aging back, and a bit too long to be carried on top of a Toyota Corolla.

The hunt for a smaller and lighter boat led me to Ocean Kayak’s Trident 11 Angler edition SOT, an 11 foot, 5 inch long boat that weighs in at 54 pounds.

The plus factors that led me to buy this boat are:

1. A divided tank well, with one part sized and shaped for the ubiquitous milk crate or 5 gallon bucket, and the other part sized for a dry box.

2. The specialized Rod Pod Lid that covers the center storage area amidships on the boat. This Rod Pod has several blind holes for Scotty type rod and/or cup holders that can be arranged at your discretion, as well as numerous marked and blind mounting points for common accessories.

3. A suspended bag inside the bow that is used to carry a battery for a depth/fish finder, keeping that battery high and dry.

4. A scupper hole sized for the insertion of a Hummingbird transducer. No drilling required.

5. The kayak has the room to store several seven foot long rod and reel combo’s inside the boat, as well as your paddle.

6. The front hatch is large enough to permit a take apart kayak cart to be stored while underway.

7. The kayak can handle my 240 lb carcass with ease, as it has a max load rating of 400 lbs. Not bad for a sub-12 foot boat.

8. The boat is stable, as you might expect from a 30.5 inch wide kayak. Recently, I misjudged how far the boat was below my butt when I went to sit down in it, and I more or less fell backwards and sideways into the seat, with my head and shoulders falling well outside of the kayak. The boat rocked upwards on its side a bit, but to its credit, it didn’t tip and toss me into the water.

9. Its glide is reasonable and it tracks well enough due to the shape of the keel. My GPS tells me I can maintain 3 ½ miles per hour at an easy pace, and somewhat over 4 if I pretend I’m 20 years old again.

10. Flush mount rod holders are included, as is a single Cannon rod holder for the center Rod Pod Hatch cover. I added an optional cup holder for the Rod Pod, as well.

11. Side mounted carry handles help to get the boat up into the storage straps I use in the garage.

12. Rope deck rigging lies along each side of the boat, providing more than ample tie down points for your gear.

13. The front and rear mounting points for this rope deck rigging have holes that permit the addition of a “no-drill” anchor trolley system. Two short lengths of rope through these existing mounting points and a couple of stainless rings or pulleys, and you have a easily installed anchor trolley.

14. The keel at the rear of the boat has a user replaceable hard plastic rub block that protects the keel if you are one to drag the boat along behind you by pulling on the bow carry handle. This item is rugged enough to survive dragging down the highway for several miles before needing replacement. It’s a sturdy addition.

15. Price. $919, including a comfortable, middle of the price range, padded seat.

The downsides to this boat are few.

1. With my weight, the boat draws a bit of water through the scupper holes. Not much more than what I’ve been used to in the past, but you don’t want to be paddling in your tuxedo. Scupper plugs help here, as well as clothing you don’t mind getting a bit wet.

2. The elastic cords found on each side of the kayak, and used as paddle keepers, are tight. You need an arm like Popeye to be able to stretch them over your paddle shaft. I replaced one of them with a longer length to make it easier.

3. The front and rear carry handles are also held tightly to the boat. You have to work at getting your fingers under those things. An easy fix, I suppose, but I don’t use them much.

Photo storage courtesy of Photobucket.

Please advise if they disappear and I’ll chase them down.