14 hours of "Man I got it going on..."

Flamingo to Big Bend
jbdba01
Mr. Fishing Reports
Mr. Fishing Reports

14 hours of "Man I got it going on..."

Post by jbdba01 »

Referencing said thread....

Feeling pretty good after fishing PFTS #3, I thought it best to get EWB (aka. Wonderboy) out to blow off some steam. He had taken the SATs on Saturday and could not join us

The early morning conditions were favorable for some sight fishing and I saw what appeared to be a school of mullet. Sticking wth my white Aquadream spoon, I was on a decent 18" Red in short order. I told Evan to cast behind me as you never if there's one following it. Sure enough he gets on as well (he was using a rootbeer paddletail).

As I work my fish in I realize a) we have a double now and have to coorigraph the "don't cross the lines" (ala Ghostbusters) routine, and b) EWB's fish was significantly larger than mine. I was able to deduce this fact as his drag was not stopping and the rod was doubled over.

"Mama didn't raise no fool."

Realizing that it was about to get real, and as EWB's fish continued it's plight towards open water, I got my fish in and released . By the time I looked up again I saw that he was half spooled. I had him a) tighten the drag a touch, and b) get "down and dirty" with the fish. Something I save for poon - but with a 2000 series reel, and a M power rod we were pulling out the stops.

Line still peeling out I realized we had to either feather the spool or tighten the drag more - I had him tighten the drag two more clicks.

At this point I was convinced EWB was on a black drum as this fish had no intention of showing itself.

Fish finally turned and heading our way we got it within 3-5 yards and my eyes got HUGE. This was a big red - REALLY big. Fish grip in hand I started to approach the fish. That's when the goat rodeo started...the fish decided we were good structure and tried to go through my legs, then his, then it made another run for open water. I dashed behind EWB as we would like to think we had some control, but the reality was we were being played. This scenario played itself out 2 more times and each time we laughed and carried on like a bunch of schoolgirls at the playground. I'm sure people were hearing us 1/2 mile out. I'm sure I used some words I normally wouldn't, and he pretended not to hear them.

Eventually the fish wore out and I manged to get the fish grip on - fish secured but without the good camera I had to use the camera on the phone. We're estimating the fish at 30/31" (maybe more).

Smiling from ear to ear we made some good memories that morning...as cool as Saturday was, Sunday topped it.

JB
BigFlyReel
Supporter 2011 - 2013

Re: 14 hours of "Man I got it going on..."

Post by BigFlyReel »

Nicely done!!
____

Native "Slayer Propel 13"
Native "Ultimate 12"
John
Guv'ner

Post by John »

Nice fish, yep definitely over 30, next timely rod again the fish then you can measure the length of that when you get home.

Nice work.
"If you don't know history, then you don't know anything. You are a leaf that doesn't know it is part of a tree." - Michael Crichton
americanrobster

Post by americanrobster »

:thumbleft:
Rob

Heritage Redfish 12'

Heritage Redfish 14'
jbdba01
Mr. Fishing Reports
Mr. Fishing Reports

Post by jbdba01 »

John wrote:Nice fish, yep definitely over 30, next timely rod again the fish then you can measure the length of that when you get home.

Nice work.
We kinda did that hence the approximate length. I know on the rod lengths where the wrap end, the rod butt starts. Basically the main breaks in the rod. I need to make a 30/36" line.

My buddy has all the legal sizes for the main eating fish on his rods. I believe he used a paint marker - diff colors for each length.

I've only harvested one fish in 6 years so I haven't done that. I will say fresh blackened redfish is awesome.
JB