HB421 - Negative impact on our clean waterways & bays

Here is a place to talk about our Environmental Concerns.
TerryW

HB421 - Negative impact on our clean waterways & bays

Post by TerryW »

HB 421 has bad implications for our waterways and bays.
The bill’s detractors are particularly worried that it would eliminate the effectiveness of many local urban fertilizer ordinances — like one that bans the use of fertilizer during a four-month rainy season.

Theresa Connor, director of environmental utilities in Sarasota Bay, spoke about that particular provision during this morning’s committee meeting, arguing that nitrogen runoff from fertilizers is the largest source of pollution in Sarasota Bay. “Sarasota is on its way to restoring scallops in the bay … for the first time since the 1950s,” she said, adding that passage of Smith’s bill could hinder that.
HB 421
35/34.5/26 24/22/1/1

I finally found Cow Creek. It's at the end of the Road to Nowhere!
Rik

Re: HB421 - Negative impact on our clean waterways & bays

Post by Rik »

Costello also voted in favor of the bill, but said he hadn’t heard enough about its scientific merits.
I find this incredible. In the many contacts I've been making about HB1103, the bill that redefines the water level boundary, I'm come across many Representatives who voted for the bill with absolutely no idea of the effect it would have. They couldn't tell you if the public would lose or gain.

This guy is openly admitting that he voted for HB421 without understanding what he was voting on.

The same thing applies on the other side, the nay side, of the vote. They, both yea and nay, don't ask the logical questions. I'm convinced that they are told how to vote and just toe a line.
“I don’t necessarily love your bill, Rep. Smith, but I think it is at least worthy of being considered as it goes through this process,” Hooper said. “I’m going to support your bill, and reserve the right that somewhere down the road I might not support it.”
This sounds a lot like "I'll toe the line and vote for it but reserve the right to vote against it if the public starts screaming and gives me the cover I need to step back from the line."
Over every mountain there is a path, although it may not be seen from the valley