American Eagle Canoe - A journey to the Dark Side!

Have rigging questions or a good idea? Found a good fishing product? Tell us about it.
John
Guv'ner

American Eagle Canoe - A journey to the Dark Side!

Post by John »

This thread is to show how I am going to rig my canoe for fishing flats, rivers and lakes.

The canoe was recently returned to me from my father-in-law, who I gave it to about 10 years ago, when I became sponsored by Bell Canoes. This was my first ever paddle craft, so I have come full circle.
Along with the canoe my father-in-law gave me the Minn Kota Riptide 55lb trolling motor he had bought to use with it and two deep cycle batteries. He had not used the canoe in many years so it was pretty roached when I got it, but nothing that couldn't be fixed.

I had a Native Ultimate 12 when I got the canoe returned to me, I really like the Native, but never felt comfortable standing in it, sure I could stand but didn't feel confident poling or fishing while upright.
After taking the canoe out for a days fishing with a buddy of mine, I remembered just how great this canoe was poling, and with two people paddling it moved pretty well, but solo it was a bear to paddle, at 39" of beam it took a lot of moving, hence the trolling motor.
I decided I would rig up this canoe to the max and use it to fish the flats, river and canals, and even some freshwater lakes for bass and bluegill, standing is so easy in it, it's perfect for fly fishing out of.

So with all that I wanted to do, I sold my Native to finance the project, I was told I was making a mistake in getting rid of the Native but I am not so sure. I can still get where I got with the native, only now I can use a motor to get me to the fishing spots, and then once there I can lift the motor and push pole my way around the flats. in water just as skinny as I could get with the Native, but be much more comfortable standing and fishing.

The batteries were shot, so a new battery had to be bought, after much research and on the advice of my friend Bayport Bob I went the Sears, DieHard Platinum Deep Cycle Battery, it's a Gel battery comes with a 3 year full replacement warranty is built to military grade specs and for the money is the best battery out there. At $270 it's not cheap, but compared to a $100 battery that's going to die every year or so and require constant maintenance, it's worth the money. Its capacity will power the trolling motor at full speed for approximately 2.5 hours, so should be plenty for a fulls days fishing. That gives me a range of about 10 miles or so, I've not fully tested that out yet, but I have covered 6 miles and had plenty of juice in reserve.
I also switched out the blade on the trolling motor for a Kipawa 3 blade prop, I'd heard great things about these props and certainly made a marked difference in performance compared to the old prop. My speed went from a top speed out at about 5.2 mph to almost 6mph with the new blade, and also now I can use slower speeds on the motor when fishing, which again helps with the battery range.

First job was to pressure wash it and remove the old wring harness he had installed, install a carry handle up front, and take out the rotted out thwart and motor mount.

Carry handle I made from 3/4" EMT conduit, just flattened then ends in a vice and mounted them under the gunnel lip.

One great thing about these canoes are the gunnels, they have two hollow compartments in them which make great raceways for running wire.

To access the compartments along the gunnel at the relevant points in the canoe I simply cut the PVC away with a dremel tool. Once all the holes were cut I pulled in Jet lines, two in each large compartment and a single line in each of the smaller compartments.

Using the jet line as pull strings I pulled in one pair of #16AWG cable in each of the large compartment from bow to stern. These would serve the nav lights and an LED courtesy light for the passenger, for when night fishing.
All wiring willl be marine grade fully tinned wire, all connections will be crimped or soldered and heat shrunk to protect from corrosion.

From the position of the thwart I pulled in another pair of #16 AWG cable to stern for 12volt receptacles, these will power the fish finder/GPS and any other accessories I may use, phone charger, maybe even a Livewell!!! Heaven forbid!

From the position of the front seat I pulled in one #4AWG in each large compartment to the stern, these would be big enough to power the motor, without any noticeable voltage drop or losses from the cables getting too hot. I would also use these cables to bring power to a small switch panel to control lights and accessories.

Once all the wiring was in place I rebuilt the motor mount,I have used regular ply for right now, as I has some laying around, but once I am done with the rigging and feel I have it all as it should be I will change this out, it will either be marine ply and fiberglass or starboard, I am still undecided. I also added a Trolling motor Receptacle in the mount, to allow for easy disconnect and removal of the motor.

Next up was to install a new thwart, same thing here I have use some scrap wood I had available, and once all the layout has been done i will change that out to some red oak, which will be fully painted and primed.

Once the thwart was in place I added the first piece of equipment, a Stick-It Anchor pin, it comes with two mounting clips, one I placed on the front seat and the other on the gunnel.

I will add more later this week, to show the progress.
"If you don't know history, then you don't know anything. You are a leaf that doesn't know it is part of a tree." - Michael Crichton
jbdba01
Mr. Fishing Reports
Mr. Fishing Reports

Re: American Eagle Canoe - A journey to the Dark Side!

Post by jbdba01 »

Keep it coming...I'm really interested to see how this comes out.

From the museum of what's it's worth...on my Wilderness Kayak, they took the throttle off the trolling motor and attached it on the gunnel. It's a simple little knob that you twist left and right to accelerate. Not sure if that fits in you picture at all.

The rig was also set up to use the foot pedals as steering.

I haven't used it since I bought it, but it's an interesting rig.
JB
John
Guv'ner

Post by John »

That does sound interesting, I am keeping the motor as is.
My aim is to do most of my moving from a standing position. The beauty of that motor bracket is it keeps the motor in Line with the keel so the canoe tracks great, in forward and reverse.
Those side mounts are always fighting against the keel, so your hand needs to be constantly on the tiller.
With this rig, I face the bow when I am under way, but once I start fishing I can face the stern and fish (as long as the water is deep enough) , just like a bass boat.

Another benefit of the motor being directly in line is that it acts as a rudder when drifting.

I have actually got further along, but accidently deleted the post last night. So this was all I time to repost.

If I get time I'll add more tonight.
Last edited by John on Mon Dec 19, 2011 8:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
"If you don't know history, then you don't know anything. You are a leaf that doesn't know it is part of a tree." - Michael Crichton
JoeS

Post by JoeS »

Love it so far John........I am paying special attention to the Motor Mount as I am rigging my 16' Mohawk for the TM.....My Solo14 is too light to put a TM on......... Keep em coming John.....
"I want to help the helpless, but I don't give a damn about the clueless anymore!
John
Guv'ner

Post by John »

I'll post more details on the mount Joe, as I develop it futher.
Still rolling some ideas around on the final configuration, That's why I'm mocking it up in plywood first, starboard ain't cheap, I only want to buy and cut that stuff once.
Next installment will be all the Pushpole.

I have come up with a couple of cool ideas for that.
John
Guv'ner

The Push Pole!

Post by John »

Next issue to resolve was the push pole:

I bought a Cabela's pole, which is available in 6' sections, in either 12' or 18', typically you get them home and epoxy the sections, point and foot together. Luckily I have a good friend Bob who is more than handy with carbon and epoxy and he glued the head and point on for me and then instead of gluing the two 6' sections together he put in a ferrule and button so it is now a take apart and is much easier to deal with in the canoe.
One over sight I made was not measuring the space in my canoe between the two seats before gluing the pieces together, my total space is 6' 6" but with the foot, ferrule and point each piece of the pole is 6'9" so now the pole is too long to simply lay on the floor between the seats. So now storage became an issue, I could have cut down the pole, ordered a new foot and point but that would be expensive so I decided I would alter the canoe to fit the pole.

My solution was to cut into the solid seat walls install a couple of rod tubes so the pole could slide into the seat then fashion a holder for the other end. However finding the rod tubes was easier said than done, after much googling I found a link to how to make your own.

https://picasaweb.google.com/bdefalco/TipTubeflare

However the use of hot oil and making a plaster of paris mold seemed more work than I wanted to do, so I went a slightly different route.

Tools required, a Wagner Heat gun (for stripping paint etc) and a metal funnel.

I mounted the funnel inverted to to a piece of scrap plywood using some small screws to trap it in place, and not to damage it.

Then using some schedule 20 1 1/4" PVC (Schedule 20 is lighter weight and easier to use for this kind of application) I simply placed it over the funnel, switched on the heat gun and started rotating the pipe so it was heated evenly, the pipe quickly becomes pliable and by simply pushing down and rotating it starts to flare, once I had enough flare for the lip to secure it I removed from the funnel and placed it down onto a flat surface to make the lip flatten out.

It took me a couple of tries to get a decent flare. If anyone has any questions I can make a little video of the process, but it is hard to hold a camera heat gun and PVC tube all at once.

Here's the finished article, a quick rinse with some rubbing alcohol and it cleaned right up.

I made two of them, one for each pole section and then came the scary part taking a holesaw to the canoe, but it was pretty painless and in a few minutes I had my pole storage sorted, well at least for one end of the sections. I will probably glue them into place using 3M 5200 adhesive, I'm holding off doing any gluing right now though as I may paint the inside of the hull once I have done all the other work and if so it will be easier to glue them in place once the painting is done. So for right now they are held in place with a bead of silicon.

Next thing to resolve was how to secure the loose ends in the canoe, I made a quick cut out from plywood, using a band saw kindly donated by Uncle Tommy this job was a breeze, I just eyeballed the curve of the canoe to see if this idea would work. You can see the results in this photo.

However on further reflection I think this is a case of over engineering a solution, as now the holder will require glassing, mounting to the hull, paint etc. So I stepped back, cogitated a while and I have decided I will use either bungee or Velcro to keep this end tidy, it's a much simpler process and will do the job just fine. The other draw back to the permanent holder too, although looking better, it will be something that will restrict access and egress to the canoe and I can just me breaking it when getting in and out. So that idea is shelved! I don't think anyone needs to see how to install some bungee ala, a paddle holder.

More push pole solutions were required and now I had the heat gun and PVC capabilities at my finger tips I decided to make a push pole holder for when the pole is assembles.
Anyone who has done a lot of poling will tell you one of the trickiest parts is what to do with the pole when you spot a fish, and have to grab your rod, putting the pole down quietly and keeping your eyes on the fish as you grab the rod is an essential art. They sell push pole holders, Third hand, pole mate, etc, but they want upto $75 for one, I know I can make one taht would be just as serviceable and a for a whole lot cheaper.

So a trip to home depot plumbing department with the pushpole in hand was required. A PVC Tee with a 1/2" outlet on it was needed, just wasn't absolutely sure which size would best suit my needs, the 1 1/4" was just too big and 1" just too small, I bought both at less than $1 a piece.
After messing with the 1 1/4" I decided it was too big and making it smaller was not going to work.

So using the smaller piece I made two cuts along the top of the tee and removed a piece about 1/2", now using the gun I heated up the whole of the Tee Section until it was pliable, once it was ready to go I simply opened the slot to about 1" and put the push pole in to make sure it was a snug fit, it needed to snug enough that the pole would "clip" in but also be able to pull out easily enough too. It took a couple of try's before I got it just right, then I let it cool in shape.

Add a piece of 1/2" PVC Schedule 40 for a upright and you're in business, the 1/2" fits very snugly in a Scotty base, and will hold in place, you could cut a small notch into it to lock it in position but I like being able to rotate it.

Here it is total cost about $1.50 a quick sanding of the rough edges where I made the cut and it's good to go. I intend to paint it black with some Krlyon fusion paint for PVC just so it looks purty!

Next job was to find the right spot to put the Pole holder:
The canoe came with a flush mount rocket launcher type rod holder in the seat, I have to tell ya I hate these rod holders, I would never install them on any kayak or canoe, they just plain suck, the rod is vertical and in your way for back casts, the reels are low to the water and susceptible to splashing. I always question any rigger who uses them, the proper Scotty rod holder make a much better job, the reels are higher the rods can be kept parallel to the hull and out of the way (especially handy when going through mangrove tunnels) and you can use them for trolling, a rocket launcher will just let your rod go if a decent fish takes the lure, trust me on this and don't ask me how I know!!! :pukeright:

The other bad thing about the rocket launcher type is when you take them out there is a very large hole to cover and the regular Scotty won't cover it. Step in the Scotty 344 round flush mount, works great for covering up the rocket launcher and will accept any Scotty accessory.

Here it is with the Pole holder in place, oh and it works great!

Last edited by John on Tue Dec 20, 2011 1:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JoeS

Post by JoeS »

Looking good John...keep em coming....
"I want to help the helpless, but I don't give a damn about the clueless anymore!
Bayport_Bob

Post by Bayport_Bob »

This will all end in tears. :santa:
John
Guv'ner

Post by John »

It usually does Bob, it usually does!

Thanks for all your help and advice along the way mate, without your huge brain to tap into, I would have made many more mis-steps along the way!
X-Capt Bill

Post by X-Capt Bill »

Nice Johnny, less than a week and you get to see how she handles with a fat guy in the bow!
XCB
John
Guv'ner

Post by John »

She'll do just fine William, fat guy in the back, fat guy in the front, she's used to it.
X-Capt Bill

Post by X-Capt Bill »

I have no doubts brother. I'll share the poling duties with ya :wink:

BTW, I remember when you used to tow that barge, gear laden to the hilt, out to Shell. I can still see the image in my mind clearly as if it were yesterday. Can you say "Margarita's Till Dawn"
XCB
John
Guv'ner

Post by John »

Indeed Bill, those were great trips!

See ya Monday mate
John
Guv'ner

Post by John »

Hoping to get more done this weekend, the thwart is next up and installing the shark eye running lights.
TRKpoker

Post by TRKpoker »

when the money is right i will be getting a canoe and rigging it out ....not pressing here but very interested to see more....just bumping hoping for more pics and updates
John
Guv'ner

Post by John »

Sorry guys, been laid up with a bad case of the Man flu, so no further work done, but this weekend will see me tear into it again.

Nice to know people are taking an interest.

Hoping to get the Running lights, and the final configuration for the motor mount and electrics installed this weekend.

I can tell you this much, I have been fishing out of it and catching fish, even when under power so the motor is not spooking fish as I had feared.
Furthest mileage so far, 8.2 miles and battery was still kicking at full power.

I had though I would need two batteries eventually to give me enough range to travel and fish under power all day, but not the case.

Hopefully by Sunday night I'll be posting an update