Alafia.....

General freshwater forum. However, please consider using the regional forums instead!
JoeS

Alafia.....

Post by JoeS »

Now that I am on the freshwater kick has anybody put in at the little ramp off of Kings Blvd and paddled north on the Alafia????? looks real fishy but I never hear anybody talking about it.....or for that matter put in at the Alafia State Park?????
"I want to help the helpless, but I don't give a damn about the clueless anymore!
Pirogue

Re: Alafia.....

Post by Pirogue »

If you put in at Alafia State park, only go upstream. A buddy and I did the down stream run and it took us 9 hours to get to Alderman's Ford park with at least 50 pull overs. We were chastised by the Ranger who told us they do not consider that section open.

I have never launched at Kings. Only at the park on Riverview road. I hear this time of year snook start to stack up. But, I wouldn't mind fishing that section one time.
1 3 12 120 3000
JoeS

Post by JoeS »

Pirogue wrote:If you put in at Alafia State park, only go upstream. A buddy and I did the down stream run and it took us 9 hours to get to Alderman's Ford park with at least 50 pull overs. We were chastised by the Ranger who told us they do not consider that section open.

I have never launched at Kings. Only at the park on Riverview road. I hear this time of year snook start to stack up. But, I wouldn't mind fishing that section one time.
Thanks Tom....I too think the snook will be stacking up in the river but I never hear anybody talking about it......I am looking for a inexpensive 4wt for Brim and Spec Perch....
On another note I talked to the guys at Medard Park yesterday they told me the reservoir will be opened to fish Dec 31 catch and release only......It has been stocked heavily and all of the foreign trash fish removed.....Hybrid Stripe Bass are the key game fish as well as Black Bass and Crappie(Spec Perch).....It will be interesting to see how well the draw down and restock works out......
Tom let me know when you want to try the Alafia from Kings north.....
"I want to help the helpless, but I don't give a damn about the clueless anymore!
gsellers1245

Post by gsellers1245 »

There are snook up there, 2 miles north of bell shoals rd there is a deep hole and a tree swing.
"Many of life's failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up."
-Thomas Alva Edison-
mrpj1972

Post by mrpj1972 »

gsellers1245 wrote:There are snook up there, 2 miles north of bell shoals rd there is a deep hole and a tree swing.
Do you do anything other than fish!?!?! :shock: Seems like anytime anyone asks about a spot, you got a honey hole for it! :cool: By the way.... Bell Shoals runs North & South
Pirogue

Post by Pirogue »

There was a long lost member of the board, Rich. Now, he had the Alafia dialed in. If I recall correctly, a Yozuri Silver Minnow was the weapon on the outside of the bends.
1 3 12 120 3000
gsellers1245

Post by gsellers1245 »

mrpj1972 wrote:
gsellers1245 wrote:There are snook up there, 2 miles north of bell shoals rd there is a deep hole and a tree swing.
Do you do anything other than fish!?!?! :shock: Seems like anytime anyone asks about a spot, you got a honey hole for it! :cool: By the way.... Bell Shoals runs North & South
I meant east. 2 miles east of bell shoals. My bearings were off.
"Many of life's failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up."
-Thomas Alva Edison-
jbdba01
Mr. Fishing Reports
Mr. Fishing Reports

Post by jbdba01 »

gsellers1245 wrote:
mrpj1972 wrote:
I meant east. 2 miles east of bell shoals. My bearings were off.
I was just talking to a neighbor of mine about this same trip. It's so close it's a shame we haven't made the run.

Given 5 scenarios which would you prefer:

start at Lithia Springs go upstream
start at Lithia Springs go downstream
start at the Riverview Civic Center go upstream
start at the Riverview Civic Center go downstream
start at Beershed say you paddled upstream and brag about fish you never caught, call up wife drunk and have her pick you up, post photo-shopped pics on p-f.com

OK - throw out the last one...
JB
Pirogue

Post by Pirogue »

Depends. Bell Shoals bridge is about half way between Lithia Springs and the Kings ramp. Paddling upstream from the Civic Center will get tiring and you will go though a lot of salt before you get up into the fresh.

The more upstream you get, the swifter the current. And you will probably have to get out and drag over the shoals

If you launch at Lithia, it is 11 miles to the civic center downstream. I reckon about 5-6 miles to Kings. And you are on the fishing right away.

I like the downhill run. So, it would be best to fish with a buddy and drop a vehicle.
1 3 12 120 3000
gsellers1245

Post by gsellers1245 »

Agreed on that. The hole I was referring to is just a tad upstream from a rocky/ whitewater area as you call it. I say downhill. Since I'm in such a good mood pm me for gps coords to the hole. Hurry before the medicine wears off. Lol.
-Thomas Alva Edison-
John
Guv'ner

Post by John »

Fish the springs, if you want Snook, put it at Civic Center and head north, YoZuri is a great bait, so too is a DOA Shrimp skipped in under the docks. The TSunami swim shads are worth a try too.

You'll see the boils of the springs, before you get to Kings, you'll see some Limestone shallows, great Snook spot.

Fish the docks and structure on your way upstream and troll diving plugs on the way back. :santa: Merry Xmas
"If you don't know history, then you don't know anything. You are a leaf that doesn't know it is part of a tree." - Michael Crichton
jbdba01
Mr. Fishing Reports
Mr. Fishing Reports

Post by jbdba01 »

:cheers: I'm breaking out the Festivus Pole as I type. We upgraded to Stainless Steel 303 this year.

All good advice. I'm still having a hard time thinking I'll make it past the Beer Shed.
JB
JoeS

Post by JoeS »

Being that I planned to put in at the Alafia Ramp in Riverview Tomorrow and it is just up the street from me I checked it out.....To my dismay there is a $5.00 parking/ramp fee :evil: :evil: :evil: .........$5.00 to put in a canoe is crazy........No Alafia river fishing for me :cherry: .....
Pirogue

Post by Pirogue »

JoeS wrote:No Alafia river fishing for me
I may do a quick trip on the Hillsborough in the morning. But I need to be off the water before 10am.
1 3 12 120 3000