Flats Class Redfish Drop Shot Rig

tspag

Flats Class Redfish Drop Shot Rig

Post by tspag »

I was watching FlatsClass TV and they were using an interesting rig. They had taken a 1-oz trolling sinker and tied it to the end of their line. They then took a circle hook and palomar tied it directly to their line about 18 inches up from the sinker. To this circle hook the attached either a Rage Tail Crab or Shrimp. This was cast out and allowed to sink to the bottom. It was worked by SLOWLY raising the rod tip about three times until the tip had gone from 10 o'clock to 12 o'clock. They then reeled in the loose line and performed the operation again. They said it was their "go to" finesse fishing system for reds and trout when the fish were psycho or beat up from boat traffic.

Anyone try something similar??? I would think it would be really effective in shallow water around potholes and grass. The slow bumping of the sinker along the bottom apparently provides enough motion/vibration to the bait to attract fish.
jbdba01
Mr. Fishing Reports
Mr. Fishing Reports

Re: Flats Class Redfish Drop Shot Rig

Post by jbdba01 »

Well...something somewhat similar, but different.

I think the concept there was to keep the lure out of the weeds and "floating" above it.

On a recommendation I tried the below. Split shot 12-18" up the line; no weight on a paddle-tail. Circle hook through the nose of the bait - hook exposed.

It does work. I caught trout, but no reds. Then again I was struggling with reds in general. I would try it again - especially in weedy situations.

JB
mrpj1972

Post by mrpj1972 »

jbdba01 wrote:Circle hook through the nose of the bait - hook exposed.
As in trailing behind it?
jbdba01
Mr. Fishing Reports
Mr. Fishing Reports

Post by jbdba01 »

If you're referring to the rig I described, you can kinda see where the hook goes in the paddlebait photoed above. Hook in the nose of the paddle bait about 1/4-1/2" in, the shaft of the hook is exposed whereas the bend of the hook is in the nose of the bait. Use circle hooks. So yes - the paddle bait trails the hook and the shaft of the hook is exposed.

The theory behind the rig is that most fish take bait by the head, the bait will swivel on the axis of the hook and then there's nothing but hook to go into the mouth. At least that was the way it was explained to me. Based on the photo above it pretty much did that - head shakes pushed it up the line.

The split shot is heavier than the bait so it falls into the weeds/sand, but the bait "floats" (sinks slower then the splitshot). Less weeds on hook = more fish (in theory).

It's kinda different, but it worked.

BTW - this is a pretty light rig, and unless the winds is at your back, you're not going to wing it out there 35 yards. Casting into the wind is next to impossible. That said it is pretty "stealthy".
JB